Notices

Tired.

Old 09-20-2017, 02:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Tired.

I'm tired of feeling this way. I know I can change because I have. But I also know I'll drink again, and I'll feel this way again.
I don't need alcohol, and I don't have the personality that depends on it to give me that little push.
My last straw was last night. I was drunk and I didn't know it until this morning.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Why do you know you'll drink again? Right there you're setting yourself up for failure. Believe it or not never drinking again gets to be pretty comfortable. Give yourself some sober time.
Old 09-20-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Forher,

I can relate to "I know I'll drink again". This is something I don't have to worry about though. Because TODAY I won't drink as long as I work my program of sobriety. I wake up and thank god for keeping me sober until then. I do a mental grateful list and then ask god to keep me sober for TODAY. Rinse and repeat. I don't worry about when I will drink again because my HP/god will let me know. I know it's not today maybe tomorrow. But the weirdest thing happens to me when I wake up, it's always today. I've never woken up in tomorrow. The benefits of not being an Aussie I guess (just kidding Dee).

Good luck Forher.
Old 09-20-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD View Post
Why do you know you'll drink again? Right there you're setting yourself up for failure. Believe it or not never drinking again gets to be pretty comfortable. Give yourself some sober time.
Thank you. I guess today is day one.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Forher: Many of us got sick and tired of being sick and tired and/or tired intermittently. You don't have to keep on feeling this way. Try to keep a positive frame of mind that you can stop drinking and stay stopped and you will feel better and less tired with time.

For myself: I have to work on not having fatalistic type thinking. It doesn't really help. This is a thinking problem just as much as a drinking problem.

I was feeling a little more tired today than I have been lately and it's not because I drank, but could have something to do more with just the change of seasons, life, stress, etc. I'm not going to say sobriety is easy peasy. Nor is life easy peasy. And it doesn't just get all rosy because one stops drinking. We still gotta "deal", as they say.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a hard time quitting this time because I felt like I knew I would drink again so why bother? That went on for a couple of months and I got really sick, then I thought I had to at least try or I would lose my job and family and maybe my life. So I decided to try anyway. Difference is that I am taking anti-depressants, which I really needed, and I am going to a lot of AA meetings, working the steps like mad, and opening up to others more. Walking up and talking to them. I couldn't hardly make myself do that before. I think I have more faith in my Higher Power, too. And also, I am trying to live in the moment. That's not easy for me but I keep trying, every time I realize that I'm obsessing over the past or the future I bring myself back to the moment.
I hope you can hang in there and give it another try. I'm glad I did!
Old 09-21-2017, 02:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi , see if you can change your thinking from " I know I will drink again " to " I don't need to drink again " . Is a better start for you .
Old 09-21-2017, 04:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can promise you that every personality that exists can be an alcoholic- and every single one can be a recovering alcoholic.
Like others said - the decision has to be that you won't - cannot- drink again, ever, if you are an alcoholic like us.

You can do it- there is lots of support here and IRL - like was said above, with sober time your thinking can change, clear, and begin to see how differently you CAN live.