Notices

3rd Week Was Turning Point For Cravings

Old 09-20-2017, 10:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3rd Week Was Turning Point For Cravings

Will be on Day 27 in a couple hours. For me, the cravings and urges decreased in intensity to just thoughts around Day 21. I know members ask this a lot, and so I wanted to report my experience.

I have also given up all other substances such as caffeine, so that may help decrease the cravings as well as early as Day 21.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Hat is interesting. From my not so good memory, i had a similar experience with cigarettes. The cravings were hell for the first few weeks. I was climbing the walls wanting a smoke. Then it died away, probably after three weeks or so. Maybe the chemical addiction itch nicotine takes longer o settle than alcohol. I know that is the case for some other drugs.

Alcohol was a bit different. Once I started drinking, the craving kept me at it until I was too sick to continue. Then three or four days of awful hangover, perhaps withdrawals, where I couldn't drink even if I wanted to.

After that it was just life. No noticeable desire to drink, no fight to not drink going on. I had a couple of supportive friends from AA, and most people around me were glad I had stopped. Not actually doing any work on recovery.

I could last up to three weeks, that was the grand total last time, and then I was drinking. The last time was a Friday evening at my parents house. Nothing wrong, no drama, had a good week sober, a friend turned up, offered him a drink and decided it would be nice if I had one too. Then I went out to have a couple more and be home by six. Got home at six, four days later.

There was no battle before the fatal first drink, and no control after it. Completely different to cigarettes. With booze a drink set off the craving, with cigarettes, a smoke relieved the craving almost opposite experience. I have often wondered why that was.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottalife View Post
There was no battle before the fatal first drink, and no control after it. Completely different to cigarettes. With booze a drink set off the craving, with cigarettes, a smoke relieved the craving almost opposite experience. I have often wondered why that was.
Possibly because we didn't need 10 packs of cigs to relieve the craving? I quit cigs 16 months ago and don't miss 'climbing the walls' over them either.
Old 09-21-2017, 04:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I got cravings in early withdrawal up to about a week but once I felt physically better the cravings left .
Old 09-21-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Freedom for sharing your experience.
Very helpful - I find my cravings come and go sporadically and with no real rhythm and vary greatly in severity. Only on day 10 so looking forward to the days to come.
Information on others experience like yours really helps.
Thanks