Notices

DAY 5 Cleaning like a mad woman! OCD?!

Old 09-17-2017, 11:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

DAY 5 Cleaning like a mad woman! OCD?!

For awhile there when I was drinking, I let stuff go ..like cleaning (id clean but it would be half assed so I could get back to my glass)

Today I had a major rush of OCD I haven't stopped cleaning lol I rearranged my whole kitchen, and bathroom and cleaned every INCH my husband is asking me if i'm ok I said yes hunny I think so lol

Anyone else go through this when they stopped drinking?
Apart of me just wants everything new and fresh as I am going on this journey. but a huge part of me also is feeling very OCD

Leave me some comments & let me know what you think
Old 09-17-2017, 12:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

Oh, yeah! I especially cleaned the bedroom and washed all the linens. Aired out the room, too. I couldn't believe that I slept in that room! Drinking sure made me a slob!
Old 09-17-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah I've done that too. It seems like you notice little messes that you never noticed when.you we're drinking. I've really organized cabinets, cleaned bathroom, cleared off clutter from counters etc.

Definitely not a bad thing. Just drink cranberry juice instead of wine
Old 09-17-2017, 12:52 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've had a huge OCD flair up and seems to be all over the place after quitting,

Do actually have obsessive compulsive disorder?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
F*** the Zero

when I was in rehab there were 3 women with us that cleaned nonstop, to the point they had to be told to stop.

it isn't OCD, its not knowing what to do with your time now you're not drinking. you're keeping yourself busy to distract yourself.
it very normal in early recovery, eventually you will create a whole new life full of vibrant and fulfilling activities with your new found time. for now, clean away
Old 09-17-2017, 01:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

well i read here that cleaning and rearranging furniture is a good thing to do to help you surf the cravings. I think its on Carol 101 things to do to avoid drinking the sticker its in here if you what to see the whole 100 things

i am very tired and actually can barely get out of bed since i quit wednesday i had to get off from work because i can't even take a shower and its gross because I'm shaking and sweating so much i guess i had abused alcohol for too long my depression its pretty out of hand i have not been anywhere but meetings since wednesday and i just cutted all my debits and credit cards so no money to buy nothing i am being drastic this time its not my first rodeo

i guess that instead of OCD i am just having some sort of depressive episode or mental breakdown

i just want to get sober i can't live like this
Old 09-17-2017, 01:18 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was a hell of a neat freak before I started drinking, I would annoy myself sometimes ...but yes I did that too re-organized and de-cluttered the hell out of my kitchen just now. My whole house smells and looks amazing. Makes me quite happy and relaxed to see it so tidy ......I'm sorry soberandhealthy...I hope in the next coming days you will feel much better. I was very tired yesterday myself. I continued to ride out the waves I hope you do the same love.
Old 09-17-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AshleyB View Post
I was a hell of a neat freak before I started drinking, I would annoy myself sometimes ...but yes I did that too re-organized and de-cluttered the hell out of my kitchen just now. My whole house smells and looks amazing. Makes me quite happy and relaxed to see it so tidy ......I'm sorry soberandhealthy...I hope in the next coming days you will feel much better. I was very tired yesterday myself. I continued to ride out the waves I hope you do the same love.
I think this is a case of the alcoholic fog lifting and now you can actually SEE what needs to be done, such as cleaning etc unless you get real anxiety if you don't do the cleaning?

I have a feeling you are gonna enjoy sobriety, you seem to be happier already
Old 09-17-2017, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I get a little anxiety seeing my husbands dishes after i've already cleaned up lol and they are just sitting there. Other than that I really enjoy cleaning ...now i'm bored and don't know what to do with myself!! Maybe ill take a hot shower, do my hair and makeup ...polish my nails? idk lol not used to this on my weekends...as they were filled with drinking all day.
Old 09-17-2017, 05:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
sober style

Cleanliness is next to godliness!
Old 09-17-2017, 07:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm a clean freak....cleaning is symbolic of putting my life in order, including my emotions. I can't relax when things are dirty. There is also a distinct difference between messy and dirty. Unfortunately my sense of smell works very good so bad smells are extremely irritating. All the others in my house are true slobs. Very hard to calm down.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:21 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went through something similar, but with all the paperwork, statements, and bills that accumulated while I was in a drunken stupor. We neglect so many things when we're under the influence. I think it's healthy, and a sort of mental "F--- you alcohol! I'm back and taking charge of my life again!"
Old 09-18-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did have some issues with OCD after quitting, particularly regarding food preparation, I had to wash my hands before I ate anything and couldn't eat anything with my hands . I've slowly worked on this over the last few weeks and things have gotten better with my anxiety. So yeah, you're certainly not alone.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:10 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That's one thing I've been doing since stopping.

Cooking and eating clean, and lots of cleaning. Things were sort of strung together when I was drinking, but not anymore! Lots of paper shredding, lots of laundry, lots of cleaning. All good things!

Clean away!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:30 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I did that and also 'over worked'. To me; I was making up for lost time. Nothing bad about a tidy home!