Notices

Rewards for not drinking...

Old 09-17-2017, 07:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
The road goes on forever

Rewards for not drinking...

Greetings all - So I had a close call last night. But that's not the sole reason for writing this post. I just wanted to write my thoughts.

I sing and play guitar and perform as a solo or duo show, 1-2 times a month. Nearly all my gigs are in bars and restaurants. Frankly, I am not the least bit tempted to drink at these shows. In fact, I don't mind telling people if they ask.. That "I don't drink".... Because I am "OK" with it. Besides who's gonna care whether I do or don't drink.

Normally when I am done setting up I speak with the bar tender about the gig/sound etc. Let them know my schedule. They normally tell me "the band gets free drinks" or something to that effect. That's when I order a soda or bottle of water... I guess it sends a subtle message that I am sober or that I don't drink when I play. Either way it's cool.

HOWEVER, It's after the performance and after I pack up and get home.... That's when it hits me! That's when I (back when I drank), I'd pour a glass of scotch or red wine and relax. I do miss that!

With that said, last night on the way home, I had it in my mind that I was gonna stop at market and pick up a bottle. I drove around several blocks out of my way... Took the long way home... so I can pass several stores that were open. Looking long at the parking lot and peaking inside the store's windows. As I drive past...

Yep....... I had it in my mind. I was going to drink a few and before I went to bed, just pour out the rest. (ya sure). Well, I even thought, I could save a bit for the morning. You know "hair of dog".........Yep.... I was gonna have a few belts and catch a buzz. Melt into the sofa ... Yep... How cool would that be?

Well.... I didn't! Yes I made it home...
Had some left over pizza and watched a "bad" movie on TV.

Thankful.......I played that darn tape forward.... several times (prob 20 times).. While I was driving.

If I drink....How would I feel the next day ? If I drink how long would my new "bender" go? How would my life change? How would my self esteem be? How about my health... My face, my eyes, my body, my stomach and liver?

Heck...I am doing well sober! Why F it all up?

Rewards:
1) Slept 8 hours soundly (instead of waking up at 4am in a panic)
2) Woke up "clean and sober" - Sunshine outside !
3) Breath and clothes don't "stink"
4) Made a nice breakfast
5) No stomach problems from eating
6) Remember everything about last night's music and interactions with folks.

7) No GUILT... No Shame .. No BS .. No Fights .. No Carvings
8) I will have a productive day.... Even if it's cleaning the house and watching football.
9) Will go to work tomorrow with my head held high.....

Sobriety has it's rewards!

What rewards are you receiving ?

-------------
Old 09-17-2017, 07:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Well done Thumbs up to you! Haw many days exactly?
Old 09-17-2017, 07:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

My biggest reward is waking up every day feeling good. My other big reward is my happy healthy critters. I take good care of them sober and it's reflected in their good health and happiness.
Old 09-17-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congrats on moving past the urge Midnight.

I too have recently thought about that "reward drink". Recently I began working everyday (I work from home) again. I hadn't experienced an urge in quite some time (I'm almost 7 months sober)...until I started my old routine. When I was still drinking, I would always start drinking as soon as my work was completed. Once I began working again, that same ol' urge to reward myself after a productive day returned. It was so strange because I hadn't felt the need to drink for quite some time.

Luckily, I didn't succumb to the new urges. Instead, I changed my "plan"/routine and began working out after work, instead of working out first thing in the morning, as I had been doing for the last 6 months. It worked! Now I look forward to my afternoon workout, instead of a drink!
Old 09-17-2017, 11:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm only 18 days in (this time), but when a craving hits I've been rewarding myself with food. I know not the healthiest alternative, but I figure a couple of tacos is better than a 12 pack of beer any day.