Notices

upset

Old 09-16-2017, 03:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy upset

first day of being sober again, had a week long binge and now that its over and realising what happened i feel so depressed. its like i become another person when i feel like drinking and lose control of what i'm doing. i'm scared of being out of control for the rest of my life even though i want to be sober.
going back to aa tomorrow even though i didn't really like it last time just because i'm desperate for any kind of help. feel so alone right now
Old 09-16-2017, 04:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back The Owl
You're definitely not alone - you have a lot of friends here

Many of us faltered a time or two.

It's hard making this massive life change but it is possible even if you didn't quite make it this time.

The way I look at it is - you've shown you can be sober...you just need to learn how to maintain that...

it's like a rocket - you've lifted off Planet Addiction...now you need to achieve escape velocity

Stop beating yourself up,. Wasted energy.

Think about what you did last time, accept you need to do more this time.

Make a plan.
https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

Make the changes in your life that you need to to support your desire to be sober.

Get as much support as you can, and use it.

You can do this

D
Old 09-16-2017, 05:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome back owl. Glad to hear you are giving sobriety another chance. Most people don't "like" doing recovery work at first no matter what methods they use. Mainly because it's hard work, and it requires you to cease drinking....which our addiction will resist with all its might. Hope your meeting goes well, try spending some more time here too...you'll find a lot of support and understanding.
Old 09-16-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know two things:

1. Alcohol is a depressant. It's literally a chemical that will mess with your feelings. So don't trust them. Trust SR. That voice in the morning is the best advice you'll get all day, too.

2. You can do it. The odds that someone in a worse situation than you pulled off long-term sobriety are incredibly high. There are some wonderful stories of success on this very website.
Old 09-16-2017, 02:19 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome back TheOwl!! SR is in your corner!!
Old 09-16-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad you made it back Owl.

Well done for giving AA another go. A few of the ladies I know well in the fellowship really didn't get on with AA their first time around - now they say it was probably because actually they weren't really ready to conceed defeat and aim for long term sobriety. They still had more drinking to do. I hope this works out to be the same story for you and this time things are different. It's not a matter of 'enjoying' it though - more that if we find the willingness to try what people with strong sobriety we meet there suggest, then we stand more of a fighting chance than when we're left alone to battle it out with our AV.

Hope tomorrow goes well - let us know.

Stay close.

Wishing you all the best for your sobrity and recovery.
BB
Old 09-16-2017, 02:33 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi TheOwl. I'm sorry you're feeling so miserable - but I've been there too. I knew I had to quit, but wasn't quite ready when I first joined SR. Reading & posting here helped me find the courage to change my life. I finally admitted that every time it was in my system I behaved in a reckless & dangerous way. It was so good to get free of it. You can do it.
Old 09-16-2017, 06:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hows it going theowl?

D