Notices

Heading to inpatient, any advice or helpful tips?

Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Heading to inpatient, any advice or helpful tips?

I need to get better and i am ready to commit. I just feel horrible for letting my kids and family down but kind of excited to nip this thing in the bud!!!! Kudos to everyone here trying everyday!!!!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you for taking such a big step, I know from experience that it must have been difficult to get to this place but know you are doing the best thing for your kids and your family and for yourself. I too was really upset and scared about leaving my kids but it had come to the point that there really was no other option.

I had a great experience in rehab, really great and am so thankful that I went.
My advice would be to really take this time to concentrate on YOU and getting better. Not only the alcoholic part of you, but all of you. Take time to rest and recover physically and mentally. Really go all in with the meetings with the psychologists and doctors, participate openly and earnestly in the groups. Make the most out of your time there.

I kept an ongoing thread during my stay if you care to look it up under my user name. It may be a few pages back on my list of posts, it is called :The Rehab Report" If you are interested and can't find it just let me know and I will link it.

Best of luck to you!
Old 09-15-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Good for you. I did inpatient with great resistance and found it life changing. I suggest it to anyone, as it jump-starts the process. You will have at least 30 sober days without temptation in a safe place.

Different facilities have different methods, most (but not all) are 12 Step based. For me it was the first exposure to AA. I entered rehab thinking I wasn't really an alcoholic, but my last bender was a weird issue with my sleep meds being denied and sending me into a tailspin. While this was true, when working in groups and with a drug counselor one-on-one, I pretty quickly realized that not only had I been an alcoholic off and on since my early 30s, I also took every substance that I liked addictively.

I'd go to every group that they offer and REALLY commit to them once you finish detox (if you require it, I did), try to commit to this being your first and last rehab, and leave with a specific and ongoing sobriety plan. Get the most out of it that you can. I'm not a big 12 stepper, but I definitely got Step 1, and I think EVERYONE needs to admit that drugs and/or alcohol are a problem and their lives had become unmanageable. Also that if you ended up in rehab, you definitely have a problem and must commit to total abstinence.

Rehab is a safe place, almost a bit too safe, because your addiction is doing pushups in the parking lot while you're there. I did cognitive (not 12 Step based) outpatient after rehab, and THAT has been life changing. Continued care gives a much better chance at maintaining sobriety, as do any time of group, whether it be 12 Step, Smart Recovery, AVERT, etc. (there's tons of information on all of these methods on this site, when you're ready).

Be excited! You're taking a BIG first step towards having a much better life, and a better relationship with your family and kids!
Old 09-15-2017, 05:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

No experience to share but best of luck BeachE

D
Old 09-16-2017, 09:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

great job Beach

hopefully youre in a facility now

let us know how it went

Old 09-16-2017, 09:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Be honest, open minded, and willing.

Take in, and use all of, the gift.
Old 09-17-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've done inpatient twice, I came out feeling great I'll never drink again this is my new life. Over time the old ideas crept back in the first time after 7 months and the second time after 3 months. That I wasn't an alcoholic, I could drink morderately, that I was smarter than most people anyway, that this time it would be a success. Each time I was wrong. So just keep a watch out.