Notices

Antidepressants

Old 09-14-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antidepressants

I don' think this is medical advise. Please remove if you think it is.

I have been sober for 2 years and six months. My depression/anxiety is way way way better than when I was drinking. But, I still suffer from both quite badly.

Finally after years of avoiding telling my doc I wont take them I decided to try. What a difference. I avoided them for so long because I didn't want to be one of those people.

I wish I had listened to my doc sooner. Turns out I have had an anxiety/depression disorder pretty much all of my life. I feel pretty "normal" now. I'm not ashamed to take them.

Just felt I needed to say that
Old 09-14-2017, 02:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My doctor's been trying to get me to increase my antidepressants but for a variety of reasons I have been stubborn about doing so. (I hate that I am that sort of patient--I respect my doctor a lot). I asked my husband to honestly tell me what he thinks (since he has to live with me and sees how I am day to day) and he thinks I'd feel better increasing them, too.

So I thank you for your post.... maybe I'll actually feel better if I do, like you do. I just get frustrated because I've tried so many different ones out there and each one gives me various side effects.

I'm happy for you that you got relief. Thanks for sharing your experience.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely. I suffered for years with depression and eventually turned to alcohol to self-medicate. If I had known that medication would help, I would have tried the medication sooner. I found something that works pretty well for me, and levels the playing field so I have a fighting chance.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:34 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've been on sertraline for years and will probably always be on it, and that's ok. It keeps my depression from getting too bad to handle.
Old 09-14-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I understand what your saying cause I hate taking a pill for anything. I always feel nature will take it's course, but nature isn't always nice. Why suffer if you don't need to. Can't imagine how people dealt with depression or anxiety back in the day. Read somewhere that back then, most people lived on farms or small towns so it wasn't such a big deal. Much less stress and social interactions. I'd probably be fine if I lived on a small island or be self sustained living in a cabin in the mountains, but obviously that isn't being realistic. Life has a way of pushing ourselves to our limits. I've been on antidepressents and anxiety medications for a while now and it's made a big difference. Their non narcotic so am not concerned about abusing them. Gets me out of my apartment and enjoying life. Without the meds, I might as well be in a cabin at the top of a mountain by myself (and whatever wildlife is around). John
Old 09-14-2017, 03:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on powerful medication for anxiety, works heaps better than alcohol ever did or could!

Proud of you for reaching out to get help
Old 09-14-2017, 04:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

One other thing. I used to be agoraphobic. Going shopping for food was a big ordeal. Ran out many times due to panic attacks. Could only deal with drive throughs to get something to eat. Spent a lot of time in bathrooms at work just to get away from people and calm down so I know what extreme anxiety is about. I would double over in pain at the thought of just visiting relatives. Had to hide small bottles of vodka in my socks that I would drink in the bathroom just to get through. Drinking was the only thing that would calm me down, but unfortunately, it also kept me stuck in my home. It also increased my anxiety and depression when I had no choice but to leave my home and be around people witch meant more drinking. Terrible way to live. This is why I have a problem with people that are dead set on any medications that could make a difference for many people.
Been a mess since I was a kid. Thank god there are meds to help me. Otherwise, it would be just me, the tv, and the computer and a lot of visits to McDonalds to eat. Probably wouldn't be alive today without them. John
Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. My anxiety was starting to get to the point where it was actually intermittently painful, actually painfull! I never knew there was such a thing. This probably saved my life.
Old 09-14-2017, 06:22 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Thanks everyone. My anxiety was starting to get to the point where it was actually intermittently painful, actually painfull! I never knew there was such a thing. This probably saved my life.
It's suprising for most people to know that severe anxiety can actually cause physical pain. Something like emotional pain like anxiety could actually cause physical pain is just not heard of but it exists. I have been doubled over from emotional stress, so I know it's real. John
Old 09-15-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I couldn't have become sober without proper meds. I still have some bad days now and then, but the difference is I don't run to the bottle to try to obliterate the anxiety. Meds were life saving to me.
Old 09-15-2017, 05:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLane76 View Post
I couldn't have become sober without proper meds. I still have some bad days now and then, but the difference is I don't run to the bottle to try to obliterate the anxiety. Meds were life saving to me.
Same here, I think I'd actually be dead without meds!
Old 09-15-2017, 06:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gettingsmarter View Post
Yeah, I was surprised anxiety could actually cause pain. The panic attacks were bad, but couldn't believe it could cause pain. Being doubled over in pain is just unreal. Still get mild panic attacks, but that's it. Can't imagine what my life would be like without meds. John
Old 09-15-2017, 06:49 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks John and everyone else, this thread is helpful. I can't stand taking medications either, although I know they help when I do take them. I get migraines and I was too afraid to take the meds I was given but I finally did during a bad one, and it helped. My husband takes a low dose antidepressant and it worked night and day for him, the first medication on the first try. That hasn't been my experience.

I also had one very scary experience from a new medication a few years ago. Another medication gave me constant suicidal thoughts when I wasn't suicidal and I was too scared to tell the psychiatrist. (Once I got off that medication the suicidal thoughts went away). Maybe I need to try an increase because the benefits will outweigh the risks. And thank you for the reminder that antidepressants are not narcotics so I don't have to worry about becoming addicted to them or something.

I didn't know anxiety could cause physical pain. I thought I was being a hypochondriac or something. Then again my psychiatrist once told me you could have panic attacks in your stomach. That clicked for me, because I used to have really bad stomach issues.
Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Never heard of having a panic attack in your stomach, but it makes sense. There were times where I could barely get out of my car because I was doubled up in pain. Glad those days are over. Don't understand why so many people are against antidepressents. Without them, I'd be a recluse. Actually had some nice conversations with people while out shopping. Never would of happened before. Couldn't hold a conversation to save my life. Wanted nothing to do with anybody. Just drove my anxiety through the roof. Just wanted to get home as quick as I could and be by myself. Like I said before, I still occasionally still get a mild panic attack but nothing like it used to be. Like you, I hate taking a pill for anything. Won't even take ibupropen (sp) unless I'm in a lot of pain. I feel nature will take it's course, but sometimes nature can be cruel. Antidepressents and medications for anxiety has saved my life. John
Old 09-15-2017, 09:06 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I never mentioned this on here but the other day I was prescribed a drug called quetiapine (Seroquel) for night panics and GAD . I very reluctantly took 1 x 25mg which is the smallest dose at 9pm . By 9.45pm I could hardly walk upstairs . I slept 9 hours and could hardly get up and felt tired all the next day . There is no way I will take it again .
In years gone by I tried quite a few SSRI medications but they all had a bad effect on me . Any suggestios what worked for you ? if thats allowed .
Old 09-15-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Thomas59 View Post
I never mentioned this on here but the other day I was prescribed a drug called quetiapine (Seroquel) for night panics and GAD . I very reluctantly took 1 x 25mg which is the smallest dose at 9pm . By 9.45pm I could hardly walk upstairs . I slept 9 hours and could hardly get up and felt tired all the next day . There is no way I will take it again .
In years gone by I tried quite a few SSRI medications but they all had a bad effect on me . Any suggestios what worked for you ? if thats allowed .
This is definitely not medical advice. Talking with your doctor would be the right way to go, but for me, I take trazadone for sleep. Works pretty good most of the time and am not drowzy when I wake up. I also take atenolol for anxiety if necessary. Excersizing also makes a big difference for me. John
Old 09-15-2017, 09:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Ive stepped up my walking ( intended pun) and improving my diet . Today is probably the best day ive had since 1st aug my quit day .
Old 09-15-2017, 11:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Ive stepped up my walking ( intended pun) and improving my diet . Today is probably the best day ive had since 1st aug my quit day .
Yeah, getting up and moving around definitely helps with my anxiety and depression. Makes a big difference. John
Old 09-15-2017, 11:23 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Yeah, getting up and moving around definitely helps with my anxiety and depression. Makes a big difference. John
I've heard that studies show that exercising can be as beneficial to some people's depression as an antidepressant. It's very helpful. For me, I feel much better when I exercise and eat right along with the medication. Right now maybe I think I need a boost in my meds because I am caught in that frustrating Catch-22 loop of being too fatigued to exercise. :-(
Old 09-15-2017, 05:30 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

My doc slowly worked me up to a full dose of sertraline over the course of a month. She told me normall people feel worse when starting with the full deal right off. I felt a little off each day the dose was raised but it kept me from feeling the full shock.
Excersise helps me a ton. My problem is that I have to be working out to get the relief. My meds help the between time.