Notices

Am I White Knuckling it?

Old 09-13-2017, 04:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Post Am I White Knuckling it?

Hello,

I recently celebrated 11 months clean and sober. In this past year, I went back to school, got a new career, got my family back and some trust and dignity within myself back.

I attend AA but still feel like I'm hanging on for dear life in sobriety even though all these positive things are the result of my sobriety. I still feel depressed and struggle with a lot of anxiety. I am wondering if I am white knuckling it and if I am, how do I stop? I don't really know what to do. Any help is appreciated.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome brainmsj

I wonder if you've ever seen a Dr about this depression and anxiety - if not would you maybe consider it now?

D
Old 09-13-2017, 08:02 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

What's happening with the steps?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Are you just attending, or did you get a sponsor and start working steps?
Old 09-13-2017, 09:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi brianm, I suffered with anxieties when I stopped but to be honest, they were there before and the booze just masked them away. I had to learn to live sober and I actually got put on mild anti depressants, which for me helped enormously.

Congratulations on 11 months sober!
Old 09-13-2017, 10:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'd echo comments about seeing your doc , I was exactly the same

No shame in asking for help 👍🏻😊
Old 09-13-2017, 11:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, Anxiety is so common with addictions . For me I had problems with anxiety most of my adult life and alcohol tempoarily gave me relief . Now I am living life on lifes terms and working hard at accepting the term anxiety is the bodys natural defence mechanism gone out of whack and ( in my own words) needs to be reset . If I understand there is no disease , no mental illness( had labwork done and thorough checkover) and that anxiety symptoms are caused by my own thinking flooding my body with adrenalin and other chemicals in order to fight or flee while there is no need( fear where tehre is nothing to fear) I am on the way to calmness . This is what I am being taught and much much more and for me its working .

A visit to your doc is a great idea .

For me tablets never worked but slowly I am improving by UNDERSTANDING how exccess anxiety is caused .

Wishing you well.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Cognitive therapy and antidepressants has been working for me. AA meetings for community and fellowship, no sponsor or step work yet, perhaps never, but for some it does help with anxiety. Also where there's anxiety there is often depression. Many if not most addicts have some underlying mood disorders and/or unresolved anxiety that is harshly revealed when we are no longer masking them with our DOCs.

Psychodynamic therapy can be very useful, particularly following a round of addiction focused cognitive therapy. Yoga, mindfulness and meditation practices can be hugely helpful against anxiety, and good diet and exercise contributes as well.

You are far from alone. I'd say explore all options and see what works for you.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mr

Im not a happy camper everyday and I have to say I have crippling anxiety (i mean crippling, bordrline agoraphobic) Some days are better than others.
Did you try exercising ?
Take care.
Old 09-14-2017, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Doctor care, after complete commitment to AA has worked for me. Anxiety was an underlying/lifelong thing for me, too, so meds for that....but the key was truly committing to AA, working the steps, having a great sponsor, building a sober network, yep all of that, just like folks say!
Old 09-14-2017, 10:40 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Our brains are such complex organs, sometimes even after being sober we have underlying issues that need to be addressed. I have an underlying issue that I take medication for daily, it was the best decision of my life. Not saying that's the answer for you, but finding out the source of your anxiety and depression is a worthwhile endeavor.
Old 09-14-2017, 10:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by brianmsj View Post
Hello,

I recently celebrated 11 months clean and sober. In this past year, I went back to school, got a new career, got my family back and some trust and dignity within myself back.
First, congratulations on making all those amazing life changes!!!

I attend AA but still feel like I'm hanging on for dear life in sobriety even though all these positive things are the result of my sobriety. I still feel depressed and struggle with a lot of anxiety. I am wondering if I am white knuckling it and if I am, how do I stop? I don't really know what to do. Any help is appreciated.
It's been my experience that just changing external circumstances wouldn't keep me sober, even though they added to my recovery. It was also my experience that just attending AA wasn't enough to recover. I had to get a sponsor to take me through the 12 steps for the internal stuff to be resolved.

Once out on the other side of the step work, "the problem has been removed" as it says in the big book. I can't remember the last time I white knuckled not drinking and I am so grateful for that.
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

going to meetings and not drinking dont treat alcoholism.
to stop whats going on could be as simple as getting into action with the steps.

if nothing changes then nothing changes
Old 09-14-2017, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Try helping alcoholics with less sober time than yourself.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:06 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I joined a home group today. 3 meetings a week plus 3 nights of IOP. It's 12 hours a week and I wouldn't trade it for a thing. I am so happy and grateful for AA and eager to get deeper into step work.