Notices

Rough week - need advice

Old 09-13-2017, 03:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Rough week - need advice

Hi everyone! It's been quite a while since I posted an update but I'm happy to report that this Friday I will be 10 months sober! Life is sooo much better sober, sane and (mostly) serene! My 21 days in rehab last November was the turning point, along with AA, a wonderful sponsor and an ongoing desire to rely on my HP. I'm beyond grateful to this forum and all those things to help me on my way.

I've dealt with a lot these 10 months - my business partner left the day I returned from rehab, my husband lost his job in May, my son needed to start a new school going into 6th grade and just dealing with life on life's terms.

My question: Any advice on working through a stressful week while sick (bad head cold) and keeping centered? I've been working sick (I own my business) this week and today, I just hit a wall with depressing thoughts, negative thinking and a return to shameful feelings, even second guessing my talents in my business. I know this too shall pass probably when I feel healthy again. I briefly thought of drinking today but I know that it will just make any problems - real or imagined - 100 times worse. Definitely not doing that. It just feels like one of those days that I numbed before recovery with a lot of wine.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

good on ya for 10 months!
i suggest reading pg 86 in the bb. and pg 68.

We shall be with you in the Fellowship of the Spirit, and you will surely meet some of us as you trudge the Road of Happy Destiny.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

Exercise, talk to a good friend or family, listen to some upbeat music
Old 09-13-2017, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

A lot of people stick an S for sick on the end of HALT, so you end up with HALTS

Hungry Angry Lonely Tired Sick

Me personally, one if the HALTS triggers can make me feel pretty rattly if its something that can drag on (like being sick can), but 2 or 3 of those triggers is pretty rough.

I'd suggest that while you're sick, just accept that you're likely to feel a bit rattly and work extra hard on keeping those other triggers at bay and deal with them sharpish if they manifest themselves.

One of the great things about fellowship is that when we get an attack of shame and can't see the true for the false, our sponsors and AA buddies CAN, and they can help us to spot the truth as well, so please keep those lines of communication open , and get to some extra meetings if you're well enough.

Wishing you a speedy get-well-soon, and all the best for your recovery and sobriety.

BB
Old 09-13-2017, 09:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi BB - 10 months is great.

The only advice I have is get through it - it doesn't always have to be graceful.

A bad day, or even a bunch of bad says, will always give way to good ones ones again.

Try and keep as balanced as you can with work and downtime - delegate where possible and don't skimp on the self care.

Your needs are important.

Use the support here too - post as often as you need.

You'll be ok

if they come, don't listen to any thoughts that might suggest a drink - there's nothing so bad a drink can't make worse.

D
Old 09-14-2017, 12:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Way to go BB! Ten Months is pretty EPIC!
Old 09-14-2017, 09:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Glad you are here. Yes those low thoughts and feelings happens when we feel lousy. Get some rest, feel better and reassess when your head cold improves. I'm saying no to wine each day too! Stay strong.