Notices

I'm so scared.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:10 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm so scared.

Just wanted to introduce myself. I am very thankful to find this board and just to type all of this out in hopes that someone is listening. I am a 36 year old mother of 3 and I am a alcoholic. I don't know how this happened to me. I started drinking heavily about 6 years ago . In that time I've had 3 kids and so was completely sober for at least a year with each one. In between pregnancies my drinking escalated quickly. I turned into a stay at home Mom after my second child. My husband works 6 days a week so I spend a lot of time alone with my 3 small kids. My drinking started out as a few beers in the afternoon.. a few glasses of wine after kid bedtime. After I quit nursing my last child 2 years ago it stated getting way out of hand. I was bored and lonely and stressed taking care of 3 small kids alone all day. It turned into a few bloody Mary's in the morning, a few vodka sodas late afternoon, a few more after bed time. 3 months ago I started having pain in my right side ribs. I wasn't sure if it was my liver or associated with my severe back pain that I acquired after being a full time hairstylist for 13 years plus a spine issue that I was born with. Needless to say it scared the crap out of me. I got my liver levels checked and a ultrasound done. My doctor said everything was fine. so of course I justified that as a ok to start drinking again. I've managed to stay away from hard alcohol since then but switched to beer in a "attempt to ween myself" . I still drink everyday but I've managed to get myself down to 3 beers a day. I guess that's ok since at my lowest point I was drinking 3/4 a bottle of vodka a day or 2 bottles of wine. I'm so terrified, I don't want to kill myself and leave my kids behind. I feel like a terrible mother, they are my life and have never been neglected in anyway. In my warped mine I felt like I was a "funner more relaxed Mom" after a few drinks. Now I realize that I let things get out of control due to my own stress and anxiety. Right now my anxiety has me convinced that I didn't permanent irreversible damage to my liver which adds to my guilt. My pain is in my ribs and wraps around to my back but feels like bone/muscle pain. I know I got everything checked 3 months ago but could I have done severe damage since because I didn't quit? I'm terrified, I am alone, I can't go to AA because I have no childcare. I opened up to my husband and he just said "ok quit drinking" I feel like nobody understands me, I feel like I've failed my kids and i already have terrible anxiety issues and this pain in my side has me convinced I'm dying. I'm constantly pushing on it, checking my color of my eyes, googling liver failure symptoms. How did my life get like this? If anyone is here that can relate or even help I would appreciate it more than you know. Thank you for taking the time to read.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I think you should go back to your dr and tell him about your symptoms and try to find an answer. Alcohol causes anxiety and stopping drinking completely would most likely make a difference to you. Many of us here have anxiety and stopping drinking usually helps. It may not relieve all of your anxiety, but you will be better able to manage it.

As for talking to your husband, most people don't understand alcoholics. That is one of the reason we are here. We do understand how hard this is, and it's not so important that your husband doesn't understand. You know how you feel and what you need to do.

Are you ready to stop drinking?
Old 09-13-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Sorry for what brings you here, but glad you're here. It sounds like you could use a good support system. I think you will find a pretty good one here. I"m glad you've been able to ween yourself down, but I think you'd feel much better mentally and physically if you could quit completely. Wish you the best.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:46 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome.
Alcohol effects far more than your liver.
I would contact your doctor, be utterly honest, have a supervised detox and quit.
I only drank alcoholically for just under 5 years. I have a fatty liver, shot thyroid, type II Diabetes, high BP. I also had pancreatitis. Serious illnesses. Add the existing depression and anxiety that alcoholism made MUCH worse.
The only way to get healthier is to stop drinking.
You can do it and you furthermore deserve to be healthy.
Jules
Old 09-13-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am so ready to stop, physically it's taking its toll on my body health wise and emotionally it's ruining my life. I need to quit the few drinks a day I still have. I feel like I always turn to it to help with anxiety and stress. I am determined to quit, I know lowering my alcohol isn't the best way.. I need to just stop. I'm scared to go back to my dr again because I'm worried she will ask why I need another liver function test. i know I shouldn't feel that way but I'm nervous about being judged because she is my family dr and Treats my kids as well.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It is scary to go to your doctor, but she's probably seen this before. I'm sure she'd be a huge advocate for you to quit.