Notices

Sober for almost a year.

Old 09-13-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for almost a year.

Hello, everyone.

So, its been one hell of a year. Most of the time before the middle of last October is covered in fog, can't make out much detail. Just bits here and there. I remember posting on here, looking for advice, or maybe sympathy, when I relapsed. Which happened often. I do remember that there were people who tried to help me. Some of them were on this forum, others, out in the real world. Its largely thanks to those people that I'm still alive, I think.

I had my very last drink on October 11, at around 2 am. I think it was some sort of cheap beer. I'm surprised I even remember that, the state I was in. I ended up in the hospital the next day, seizing and with a bp high enough to risk immediate stroke. The docs stabilised me, via the expedient of a massive dose of valium, and kept me in for two days for observation and tests, as there was some suspicion of a minor stroke, or a TIA episode.

While on the ward, I got to talking with one of the younger docs, a guy around my age. I explained the situation to him, how I was trying to quit, but the withdrawals, both physical and mental, were too strong for me. He offered to help, which I never expected in a million years. He called the local SMART branch, wrote an email to my gp, and set me up with a 7 day outpatient detox program right then and there. There were other people at the hospital who offered tremendous support as well, the nurses especially, who were all just amazing. I was later made to understand that I only got onto the program when I did because of that doctors recommendation. Basically, it came down to the will of other people to believe in me when I told them I wanted to stop, and take a chance on me.

Well, not to drag this out. I went through with the program, the meds made the WD's manageable, the psychological support made the mental side bearable, and I slowly started to put my life back together. Can't say it was easy, but I succeeded more than I thought possible, with a lot of help from the people at SMART, and some good friends. I even found a job that pays much better than the one I lost due to drinking, only a few weeks into recovery! It was uncanny, the way so many things suddenly started working out as soon as I put down the bottle. I'm 30 years old, and next month, I'll be a year sober.

Just wanted to say, thank you, to all the posters here that shared their experiences with me a year ago. And also to those who just took the time to read my ramblings.

btw, I thought about waiting a month and posting this in the stories of recovery section, but I just felt the need to share this today, so I'm putting this in newcomers to recovery.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your story is really moving and inspiring. Well done on turning your life around. It is great to hear that you received good care and it is lovely to hear the gratitude you have.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome post. I am sure it will help many people on here in the very early stages of recovery
I love reading success stories. They provide a tremendous amount of hope and a belief that we can stop and stay stopped.
Thank you
Old 09-13-2017, 12:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Always love reading success stories SM. Sounds like quite and ordeal but you pulled through, congratulations.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

That's a great post. Sometimes the hardest thing to do is to ask for help. And, you were lucky to ask the right person to help you along your path. Be very proud of how far you've come. Congratulations on (almost) a year of recovery.
Old 09-13-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
totfit

Congratulations. Always continue to tell yourself that you "deserve" sobriety. Great to hear your good news.
Old 09-13-2017, 03:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Very heart warming, I'm so happy that you pulled through the misery and are thriving
Old 09-13-2017, 06:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you for the inspiring post, SpaceMandrill. My sober date is Nov. 2016. Everything you wrote I can relate to regarding the help you sought to get you on the path to recovery. Congrats and keep up the awesome work!!
Old 09-13-2017, 06:34 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Really glad to read this update SM - congrats

D
Old 09-13-2017, 07:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

What a nice story! Congrats to you!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:23 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Magsie

Wow! You have come so far, MD. I'm so pleased you had the courage to tell the doctor and get the support you needed.
Congratulations
Old 09-14-2017, 12:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's awesome, SpaceMandrill! I love hearing about the successes; it just goes to show that there's always hope if you want it badly enough. Congrats, and it's good to see you here at SR.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:17 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the kind words. I have a question, actually. See, I live in the UK, but I'm not a native, I come from Eastern Europe, and social mores concerning patient-doctor interactions are different there.

The question is, would it be acceptable to write the doctors involved? Let them know that their effort was not wasted, as it were. In some places that might be considered presumptuous, but I don't know how it would be viewed in an Anglosphere country. I was thinking of waiting a full year before doing so, and then just drop the ones I can reach a note, explaining how they helped, and that I'm not going to waste the chance they gave me. Any thoughts?