Notices

Celebrating 4 months sober & Resisting boredom

Old 09-13-2017, 02:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Celebrating 4 months sober & Resisting boredom

Hey everyone,

First off let me say how much I love posting here. The internet is a very toxic place with so much negativity. It's nice knowing that this is one of the few relatively "safe places" I can go to.

I used to look for ways to "drink in moderation" - if you're thinking this, believe me, abstinence is the ONLY option. Anything else is denial.

My story is as tragic as most. Alcoholism ripped a massive hole in my family, I lost my long-term partner that I will likely NEVER get over, most friendships were terminated and lost my job in South Korea (I had to leave the country). I was in hospital on death's door several times and nearly didn't make it to 30.

I celebrated my 30th recently by giving $3000 to charity.

I am completely off all drugs and alcohol. First time in 7 years. It's now been 4 months.

I've got an excellent job I am holding onto with both hands and very pleased with myself that I'm not the monster I used to be.

The war isn't over though. EVERY DAY I am resisting temptation. Boredom is the no.1 threat to my recovery.

Have other addicts in recovery fought boredom? How do you deal with it?

I've tried getting into new hobbies but I have very little interest. I don't feel anything when going out and trying this or that. It's like my brain has decided the ONLY source of joy I can feel is from substance abuse.

Not going to give in.

To those struggling - Know this: You have a MASSIVE amount of strength within you. It's very hard to believe that when you're at rock bottom, but I see that stength in myself and in so many posts on these forums from those who are fighting the same battle I am.

We're mental warriors. Every one of us. Fighting out our battles day in and day out.

Stay strong!
Old 09-13-2017, 04:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Good to see you again Nick - I'm glad things are looking up.

I don;t know if this applies to you or not but for a while I still had the same routine I had as a drinker - come home, watch TV go to bed. That was barely tolerable as a drinker, it was intolerable as a non drinker.

I tried to vary my routine a lot, I tried new things - I had time to do some volunteering...I tried my best to remain stuimulated and challenges.

If you're finding it difficult to motivate yourself do you think you might be depressed?

It's fairly common especially if you've been drinking for years, trying to adjust to a new way of life?

Things may well get better with time too.

4 months seems a long time I know but in many ways it's not that long...I was 3 months in before I realised I was still in the same routine I mentioned before...

One thing I do know is support helps - good to have you back
D
Old 09-13-2017, 05:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 4 months!!🎉

To help with boredom I enjoy exercise like talking a walk outside or hitting up the gym. I also enjoy volunteering. There are always people or places that need help. AA meetings are my go to as well. I enjoy the fellowship. Movies are fun to go to as well.
That's what has worked for me. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 09-13-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Trying to be Sober since 23/08/2017

Fantastic! Congrats on 4 months!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:45 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 4 months sober! I go to the gym every day and get out a lot of my energy. I also picked up a lot of new hobbies that I love to do. I hope you keep searching for a new hobby or even a project. I think that will help you tremendously.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I agree about the internet. It really brings me down and frustrates me. That is what triggers me to drink. I guess when I get bored I go on the computer. Now I get on my bike or ellypitcal and exercise.
Congrats!
Old 09-13-2017, 06:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I suffered the same but, always thought to myself
better bored than drunk.

Boredom I now call Serenity.

MB
Old 09-13-2017, 06:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on turning your life around and 4 months of recovery. When someone posts about boredom, I always suggest volunteer work. There are so many agencies and areas everywhere that need help. It can give you an enjoyable activity, a purpose in your life, and an opportunity to meet lots of sober and like-minded people.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sober style

Awesome post, NickOz! very true, we're stronger than we know.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 81 days and have really not changed my routine. I would rather be bored sober than bored drunk. I think changes will come with time. Good luck
Old 09-13-2017, 06:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I know for me, I mistakenly thought I was bored when really in fact I had a SIGNIFICANT drop in the chaos and drama that came with my drinking. What, in fact, I was really experiencing was normalcy. The repeated cycle of normalcy made me nuts at first. Then I came to appreciate it.

For me, I wasn't able to go out to places where there was alcohol like a restaurant or club for awhile. I didn't trust myself. When I was in a good space, I took it slow. I went to a family-styled restaurant. Then after time I was able to go most places. I don't go to bars still. I hear some people say they want to listen to music. Music can be found outside of a bar many times with some creative exploration.

Congratulations on your 4 months