Notices

Back on the wagon...again

Old 09-12-2017, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Back on the wagon...again

Im 33 and I've been a weekend warrior for the better part of 10 years. Its nothing for me to polish off a whole bottle of whiskey in one sitting. I will drink all weekend and when Monday comes it's nothing for me to sober all week. But then on the other 2 days it's a freaking circus. I recently nearly lost the ability to see my son due to an alcohol related incident and I swore that I would never do anything to jeopardize having him around again. After being sober for about 2 months I relapsed the other night after he fell asleep. Started drinking tge next morning too. I feel aweful. This monkey on my back is the worst. I get clean for a while and then it's the same ole trip. But I'm back at it... recommitted and determined to STOP! Any advice on how to not relapse? I've made it 4 Months before but I started dating and fell back into old habits....
Old 09-12-2017, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.
There is no magical cure to not relapse. I was the Queen of Relapse.
I then figured out I can't stop if I start. So I don't start. Nothing in this world is worth drinking over any longer for me.
You can do it.
Jules
Old 09-12-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you're here.

I wonder what changes you've made in your life besides stopping drinking? You said you always drank on weekends, so maybe you could change weekend activities and do something different. I had to make some lifestyle changes in order to support my recovery and I had to remove a few people from my life. Maybe you could make some changes that would help to prevent a relapse.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
sober style

Goonsquad, I had streaks of 75 days and 208 days before my current one. About preventing future relapses, I tried to analyze my thinking in the earlier streaks, about alcohol and my relations with it, my place in the world both with and without alcohol, the way I thought about the future and the past, on and on. What had worked to keep me sober, I tried to do more of. Thoughts/ideas that had led me astray, I tried to minimize.

Sounds simplistic I know. Anyway, that's what I did and am still doing to steer clear of alcohol and keep on the right track. Keep my head right. All the best to you. If you've already done 2 months, you can build on that experience and perfect it. Like learning a language, someone once said.
Old 09-12-2017, 03:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Glad to have you with us, GoonSquad.

I'm glad you're taking a hard look at what your weekend drinking is doing to your life. Eventually, my recklessness on weekends carried over into the weekdays. In the end, I was drinking every day - something I swore would never happen. You are aware of the danger signs & you're taking action - congratulations.
Old 09-12-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Goonsquad

A lot of effort, commitment to change, good support, and a good plan all resist relapse IMO.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)

D
Old 09-12-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Most times I could not hold the thought of stopping for even one day. With help I once managed three weeks, but the rest of the time I was utterly hopeless. I never had relapses, because I never had any recovery to relapse from. All I could manage were small amounts of time between drinks.

Then I was the beneficiary of what I would call a miracle. My experience led me to a place where I was willing to seek a higher power who, I was told, would solve my problem. When I sincerely began to seek, usuing the twelve steps of AA as my path, the need to drink was removed.

I didn't believe in all this, I was just willing to believe. I had nothing to lose after all. I never even took a note of the date of my last drink. No one was more surprised than me when my sponsor called and told me I had been sober three months. All that time and ever since, I have been easily able to control any desire to drink.