Notices

Made Turning Point, High Anxiety about Health

Old 09-12-2017, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made Turning Point, High Anxiety about Health

Even though I've been reading threads here for a while, I finally joined because I know I need help. After drinking excessively for most of my adult life, I have hit a turning point. After recently binge drinking for days, I woke up to find the vision in my left eye is weaker. Neither eye is a healthy white. Left eye is slightly blurry and there is a distinct red line. This has scared me to no end. I had other health issues, but those have generally recovered and I know they will with time and abstinence. My eye has not gotten better and it's been several days. I have scoured forums, and found a few hopeful insights on healing like drinking pedialyte daily for months and using theratears to help with dryness. The person who wrote about pedialyte said his vision came back a bit in two months, and mostly healed in a year.

I'm 47 and have been generally healthy (I eat mostly vegetables and fruit, and walk daily.) I did not drink daily, but when I did I would go on home benders with wine, drinking several bottles a day on my days off (I live alone and have generally isolated myself.) When I finally stopped, I would wake up and look at the amount I drank and days lost, and be filled with self loathing and promise to stop. But this time I am so scared I've permanently damaged my eye, I am determined to never go through this again. Does anyone have any personal experience about whether this is reversible with time and truly healthy living, and I can heal my eye? Will they both return to a better color? I'm grateful for any help with this; it's all I think about all day. Thank you so much-
Old 09-12-2017, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Fear is a huge motivator to change and to get sober, a lot of people will be here soon to offer their wisdom and advice!
Old 09-12-2017, 08:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi, We can't offer any kind of medical advice here. I would definitely talk to your dr about your vision problem. That's the best way to find out what is happening and what you might be able to do to fix it.

I'm glad that you've decided to stop drinking.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Welcome to SR Aspengrove!

Just to add to what Anna said you could always visit an optician. Obviously they are not medical professionals but will have had a lot of experience and might know what your condition is.

Good
Old 09-12-2017, 04:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome aspengrove

As scary as I know it is the only real way to settle your anxiety is to see your Dr or optometrist about this

As regards colour - yeah my whites are now white again

D