Notices

Mind is a Blur...

Old 09-12-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Jon

Mind is a Blur...

I've been feeling so tired today, but I got a lot of rest. My mind is in such a weird loopy state, like I can't get a sentence out or I'm stuck feeling and thinking about the same things over and over again. I really felt out of place in AA today, and not really sociable. I don't want to feel this way but I just don't know how throw the switch because I think I'm depressed but I don't know how to talk about it. Than again, maybe I'm tired, I really don't know right now.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hollow- in early recovery, the body and mind have a lot to do. Rewiring, getting healthy. Diet/water and rest a very basic- and very important. It is good you are getting to meetings regardless. I was so bad- they though I was probably going to be institutionalised. BUT I am okay. I write lists and use a diary..as I still forget stuff. I you are concerned- go see a doc. Support to you.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

In times when i felt weird or felt a whole gamut of emotions i just stuck to the sober routine, having to do it even when you don't feel like doing it can be annoying but it is worthwhile.

I don't know how far you are into your journey but the first six months of sobriety were a real roller coaster for me and then things started to level out .

If the thoughts and feelings are getting to you then go see the Dr, alcohol can smother a lot of feelings and when we get sober we've got stuff to deal with , best to deal with stuff and get help .

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-12-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Early on I was always tired, and I had large mood swings. I found drinking lots of water and a good multi vitamin helped my attitude. Your body has lots of healing to do. Eventually I slept better, my mind cleared, my mood has much smaller swings. It was worth the effort just to wake up fresh and rested.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think many of us underestimate the toll years of drinking takes on mind and body - things will get better... but probably not by tomorrow

Try and be patient. This is not the best its going to get

D
Old 09-12-2017, 09:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Regarding feeling out of things at AA and having difficulty talking about things, I would suggest trying getting there early and staying a little late to help set up and clear up. In my early days some of the most helpful conversations I had happened while doing this. It tend to be a bit quieter and the others there are people who are serious about their recovery and the fellowship, and its a great way to get to know potential sponsors. Also, sometimes it's easier to open up over a shared task. Even if you cannot find perfect words to describe how you're feeling, try not to go down the "I'm fine" way of responding (unless you actually are). If you feel a bit rubbish, it's best to say so. Then people are more likely to be able to help you through whatever you're dealing with.

Personally I had washing machine head for the first couple of months, but it did clear. I also had quite bad anxiety for a while and really needed to practice breathing techniques to get me through those episodes. They were the pits, but they've passed as well now.

Wishing you all the best for your recovery and sobriety.
BB