Notices

Struggling with recovery

Old 02-23-2019, 07:00 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Love an update like this, congrats and thank you for sharing.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Austerities View Post
I never got quite convinced that abstinence is worth it.
I won't try to convince you that abstinence is worth it. I can only tell you that it was worth it for me, because I could not control my drinking. Moderation by definition, requires the ability to control your drinking. If I could have done that, maybe I'd be a happy normie today. For me, the solution was black and white. I could keep on drinking and spiraling downward or I could quit. Moderation was not an option. Great in theory, but unobtainable for an alcoholic.

First I tried AA. That just made me focus on alcohol more, and I actually became less obsessed when I quit.
That was part of the reason I left AA. I didn't want to think about alcohol every day. One hour a day was devoted to thinking about alcohol. Also, I was focusing on the problem, rather than the solution as I watched so many struggle while I was unable to help them.

At that time I realized that the main problem was doing something about the reason I drank. It has basically been self-medication for all kinds of pain; physical, emotional and existential.
I've heard that people do this, and I spent a lot of time looking for my reasons, but through honest soul searching I realized that the cause of my drinking was addiction, not some repressed memory of an undeserved spanking I got as a child. Alcohol had no affect on physical pain for me. Emotional and existential pains were my rationalizations for drinking, but were not lessened by alcohol. I realized that when it dawned on me that a good day at work was as good a reason to celebrate with alcohol as a bad day at work deserved drowning my anxieties. In other words, I drank because I was addicted, not for those excuses.

This may not describe you, or a lot of others. It has only been my personal experience, so I tend to disregard what to me (perhaps wrongly), appear to be excuses rather than causes.
Old 02-23-2019, 07:47 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hi,

Just a little update from me and another thanks for the sound advice I was given previously.

Acceptance is indeed a key word. Not only accepting that alcohol and other escapist activities are off the table, but also accepting that many things in life is hard, and emotions of all flavors will occur and pass all the time, and I am supposed to stay unmoving in the middle of it at all times. I took the bull by the horns and decided to not try to fix my stressful life, but to actively accept it and only spend energy on coping skills. It is so much easier without me adding so much resistance.

Also I feel great about riding out burnout and depression without any kind of escape. I feel strong and brave, but also very humbled. Thoughts of alcohol still pops up, but it's not really an option, and I have lots of gratitude for having quit and being relatively well functioning still. I have made a habit out of popping in here everytime the thought occurs and it works.

I have also made a habit of naming three things I am grateful for every morning, that works too. Eventually joy returned and I remember more and more things I like to do.

All the best!
Thank you so much for the update. You have given me some hope today as I am struggling with many of the things you described when you were at an earlier stage of recovery.
Old 02-23-2019, 09:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
Thank you so much for the update. You have given me some hope today as I am struggling with many of the things you described when you were at an earlier stage of recovery.
Glad to hear it. Best wishes for your recovery!
Old 02-23-2019, 11:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

What a great update.

I read the first post and basically agreed with most of what you said. Luckily I read the rest of the thread and you have given me hope that it won't always be such a struggle.

Thank you.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:23 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I had a craving yesterday. It was the first one in a while. It was pretty strong. I was out driving and I started thinking 'Well, just one... maybe 2 beers. That can't hurt me.'. I changed my mind and drove home.

When I first quit, the cravings were ferocious for lack of a better word. 54 days now, but I still want alcohol. Just not as badly.

For me, the best thing to stop that has been eating until I'm no longer hungry. I'm not sure what else might work, but that typically does work.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congrats on your update and your sober time Austerities

D
Old 02-24-2019, 03:10 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kaily View Post
What a great update.

I read the first post and basically agreed with most of what you said. Luckily I read the rest of the thread and you have given me hope that it won't always be such a struggle.

Thank you.
Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Congrats on your update and your sober time Austerities

D
Thanks!
And to all who currently struggle: don't give up! Nothing is permanent / this too shall pass. Actually, and unfortunately, that applies to us on an easier stretch too. Let's just keep going.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:16 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Austerities:

For building a life where you thrive in sobriety, consider "30 -Day Sobriety Solution" by Jack Canfield and Dave Andrews. The book has lots of good ideas for the journey of
Old 02-24-2019, 10:10 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I relate to your situation quite a bit Austerities--I also have found increasing peace as I table my resistance, bit by bit.

Thank you for the update and the hope it brings--
Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by TheWayBack View Post
I had a craving yesterday. It was the first one in a while. It was pretty strong. I was out driving and I started thinking 'Well, just one... maybe 2 beers. That can't hurt me.'. I changed my mind and drove home.

When I first quit, the cravings were ferocious for lack of a better word. 54 days now, but I still want alcohol. Just not as badly.

For me, the best thing to stop that has been eating until I'm no longer hungry. I'm not sure what else might work, but that typically does work.
This has got me thinking about the nature of my cravings. In a way, they were different than just "wanting" alcohol. I didn't really want alcohol. In fact, cravings became more powerful specifically because of the abstinence that comes from NOT wanting alcohol. It was more like a desire to return to the status quo. I will admit that I liked the taste of alcohol, but not enough to warrant overpowering cravings. It was more like needing to fulfill an ingrained habit, while the actual consumption provided relief from addictive physical side effects in my body.

Cravings were mental in nature. Consumption was more physical.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:21 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Return of the struggle

I am at a little more than nine months sober. This has been a relapse time point before, so extra vigilant, but at the same time I don't really feel in danger this time, I feel I am truly done with alcohol.

Nevertheless, I am struggling right now. I am just so tired and exhausted. And I crave something that will sort of knock me out and give me euphoria at the same time. Interestingly enough I don't crave alcohol. I fantasize about heroin or some other kind of morphine substance, although I have never tried it, and never will. It just feels like alcohol is too weak to bother with. Funny, and a little scary. What I have done, however, is binge on chocolate. Not too happy about that. Clearly an abusive behavior. Oh and shopping too.

Just such a downward spiral when sleep deprivation and workload piles up. All healthy thinking and behavior goes out the window. Almost. Or not quite, when I start to write it down. I'm still eating veggies, drinking only water and black coffee, meditating and exercising, just more moderately. Holding myself to a pretty high standard I guess.

But that feeling and thought; "F this, if I am to exist like a zombie, why bother" is surely a problem. Praying for more acceptance, patience, and gratitude. Feels like I am about to run out of those.
Old 09-04-2019, 11:36 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Glad for your Feb update. I'm sure you didn't "want" to share this current one, but I'm glad you did.

Personally, I believe the "a relapse starts well before the drink" train of thought. What can you do NOW when you are feeling tired, frustrated, etc that will even out and "correct" this phase....not eventually look back and be able to connect the dots between your right now and a drink?
Old 09-04-2019, 11:46 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Yes. Very grateful to be in a position to possibly prevent things from getting even worse. I suppose that is my only idea right now, trying to not make things worse, and wait it out. There will be better days again. And I am posting this to bolster accountability, so thanks!

Last edited by Austerities; 09-04-2019 at 11:49 AM. Reason: was missing a verb
Old 09-04-2019, 12:00 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

So here is my actual plan for right now: 1) exercises to calm the nervous system, 2) reading in bed about those who live far more austere lives than I until I hopefully a) gain some perspective and b) pass out.
Old 09-04-2019, 05:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Administrator

I would make plans like that - a good start to be sure - but a little light on with the nuts and bolts of living a non drinking life.

There are a lot more ideas and suggestions here - don't be afraid to add a little more detail to your plan Austerities

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...very-plan.html (What exactly is a recovery plan?)
Old 09-04-2019, 08:12 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thank you, Dee! 🙂 I got about 6 hours of sleep tonight, so didn't make it much worse, albeit a little. Trying to zombie through another day without excessive sugar and coffeine.
Old 09-04-2019, 10:39 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

I've just read your thread all the way through and enjoyed reading your posts and others responses.

I am 16 months sober and I can identify with some of what you wrote As I read your most recent post i thought (and this is just my opinion of course) it sounds like your inner rebel wants to escape. When I was drinking , before it got really bad, my life was quite wild. Parties, friends, men,meeting new people. hey have a few drinks and who knows where the night will take me! Even in those days it was chaos but there was a thrill. And because I was so addicted to alcohol and the buzz I looked forward to it immensely. Now life is so different. Calm. Peaceful. But I know sometimes my inner rebel wants to escape I' heard someone in an AA meeting once with 25 years sobriety say she stole something from a shop, something so small and insignificant it was crazy all because at that particular moment in time she was craving an escape, a thrill. I am not recommending that of course but you get my point.

My drinking was not fun at the end. But my Alcohilic mind does not bring into my memory an image of me lying in a basement after falling 8 ft wasted on wine only to crawl home to take xanax washed down with wine and pass out in bed . It doesn't shiw me the policeman knocking at my door because I tried to smash someone's window or the image of me physically fighting with my ex best friend in front of our 5 year old daughters. No. It shows me fun and laughter and adventure. I have to use my conscious mind to drag the reality of my drinking into full view.

It sounds to me like you need an escape. Life is beautiful but life can also be repetitive and day to day life, getting up, brush teeth, go to work, come home, dinner, brush teeth, bed can feel dull. That's why so many people cut loose at the weekend and drink alcohol! But for people like us it isn't the fun break we crave anymore.

I dont have any answers for you. Like I said I can identify with what you have written. And I also had an opioid habit. I wouldnt say i was an addict but i used them to escape from time to time. But just like alcohol they had to go it's a false escape anyway and one that will lead me down the path of destruction.

You said it yourself...this too shall pass but look, you're sober and you are free to try ANYTHING you want to see what you enjoy and what can give you a feeling of excitement and exhilaration. Something that you really look forward to doing. The world is your oyster!! As long as it isnt alcohol or drugs. That path will only lead to darkness.

I look forward to reading your updates!!

God Bless.

🙏❤🙏❤
Old 09-04-2019, 11:03 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think overly simplified, there are two reasons people use drugs: 1) thrill seeking, probably caused by a pretty low baseline activation and a robust system that takes a lot to excite, and 2) relief, probably caused by high baseline activation and a highly excitable (stressable) system. I am nr 2, seeking peace, not thrills. I don't have a problem with not knowing what kind of activities and experiences that are meaningful to me and bring joy either, my problem is lack of time and energy for those. In stead I am indeed stuck in survival mode (rather than living or thriving). I don't find the hamster wheel as much boring as I find it exhausting and frustrating because it steals my precious life away.

Last edited by Austerities; 09-04-2019 at 11:04 PM. Reason: lacking a few words
Old 09-05-2019, 07:32 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Little update: doing much better today. Am so sleep deprived now that I am making really weird mistakes in trying to perform everyday tasks, but somehow managed to do my job well. Also on target with exercise and nutrition. And I asked someone for help with regards to sleep and exhaustion and received some suggestions that I believe in and will implement. No cravings whatsoever and in a good mood. One more day to go before a brief respite. I can do this! Go me!