Notices

When will I stop kidding myself

Old 09-12-2017, 02:58 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Dee's spot on, Red - a plan of action, particularly when as you say you know it will get harder, wkds, etc - for use when we don't want to drink and when we do.

Learning how to live without alcohol- the tools to make the next right choice- how to handle relationships, LIFE, everything....that's what AA has brought me and other programs of ACTION have brought others who choose different programs.

We've all found that this is the critical part though, once we absolutely commit to not drinking - NO MATTER WHAT.

You can do it.
Old 09-12-2017, 09:49 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

You have no desire to drink right now - so it's an excellent time to take some action to keep it that way. You know from experience that as the days go by and you feel better, you will probably give in to the voice in your head telling you it'll be okay "this time." Find an AA meeting. Read and post a lot here. Consider going to treatment. Draw a line in the sand and say out loud to yourself "NO MORE."

As far as wondering why you can't be normal - Oh I beat myself up for a while about that and felt pretty darn sorry for myself. But then as time went by, I began to realize I was one of the lucky ones who chose sobriety and a better life. I never feel deprived of alcohol anymore. Instead, I appreciate all of the good things life has to offer if I stay sober. You can get there. I know it seems bleak now, but trust me (and everyone else who said the same thing) life really is better without booze. You have literally nothing to lose by quitting, and a whole lot to gain.