Notices

Finally contacted AA

Old 09-12-2017, 03:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

LoneWolf, you are going into this just the right way for you. Scared, intimidated, nervous, resigned, whatever it is; you're right to do it scared. I'm so pleased for you - it must feel at least a little bit of a relief to have actually talked with that person and to have a plan to start.

Can't wait to find out what you think after Thursday's meeting.

O
Old 09-12-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I know of many who have stayed sober and put their wretched lives back together due to the help of AA

and a Higher Power who I prefer to call God.

M-Bob
Old 09-12-2017, 06:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Giving up is NOT an option.

Lone wolf - this sentence you wrote right here is the key, I think:

I am so used to trying to control the outcomes, but has it worked so far?

Realizing that your way isn't working, and having the willingness to try a different way, is all you need in order to get started with AA. I spent a long time resisting AA for various reasons, but once I had gotten to a desperate place, I became willing to do whatever it took. I felt such relief when I finally gave in and had someone take me to a meeting - I felt like I had found the only people who could understand me and help me without judgement. It works, if you work it. Action is the key.
Old 09-14-2017, 11:56 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

So attended the first meeting yesterday... I first met two of the members an hour prior and one of them explained the background and how the group works, some of his own experiences etc... that then eased me into the actual meeting. What can I say? Wasn't the easiest thing I ever did, but it was fantastic, they made the session revolve around me since it was my first time, almost each one of them taking the time to explain the basics of the 12 steps and how the journey worked for them so far. Definitely felt welcome and for the first time in my life, I felt like I could freely talk about this disease and be understood 100%, without the subconscious need to put on some kind of front or act.. Will definitely be back there. I woke up this morning feeling, in a good way, sad and broken but happy at the same time. Like for the first time, the odds of solving this drinking problem are not against me.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:12 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

[QUOTE=LoneWolf04;6605731]almost each one of them taking the time to explain the basics of the 12 steps and how the journey worked for them so far.

Thanks for reporting back LoneWolf. You may not realize it yet, but it sounds like you have walked into a group that is really on message. I am filled with hope for your successful recovery.