Notices

121 Days Sober - 3 days no cigs

Old 09-07-2017, 09:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

121 Days Sober - 3 days no cigs

OK, so I'm 4 months sober (yay, me), and decided one morning, after I finished a pack with 2 cigs in it with my coffee, that I wasn't going to buy any smokes and see what happens.

It's been 3 days. Day 1 and 2 were a breeze, I kept forgetting that I'd quit. Today has been much tougher. I started to yell at random people at the grocery store, and had to remind myself that this was the nicotine withdrawal.

No patches, no gum, no lozenges, no vaping...cold turkey. I'd quit for 9 years before rehab, where I picked it up again, so it's been 4 months, as I got sober the first day of rehab.

I didn't try to quit smoking until now, I think it was too soon after sobriety. I figured now was the time and seized the day. Plus I thought it wise to stop when still in outpatient treatment, as there's help there if I get a craving for alcohol or anything else while doing the nicotine detox.

Wish me luck and any support! Shared experiences also welcome!
Old 09-07-2017, 09:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes MM - you can do this

D
Old 09-07-2017, 10:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

I've also cut way back on caffeine consumption, just a cup of coffee in the morning. I'm eating very healthily and doing long daily gym workouts.

I have no vices left. I don't know what to do with myself! My faux-daughter keep asking me who I am and what have I done with her dad!
Old 09-13-2017, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Just checking in. It's been a week off nicotine cold turkey, 127 days off drugs and booze. First week was easy, few cravings, withdrawal manageable. Week 2 bad symptoms, insomnia, nightmares about using, headachy, brain fog, and the nicotine cravings are manifesting as drug and alcohol cravings.

Fortunately I have good support right now, but I can't wait for this phase to be over!!!

Anyone else gone through this with nicotine?
Old 09-13-2017, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi Mindful. I think you're wonderful for getting yourself healthy and free of addictions. I didn't smoke, but my husband had the symptoms you describe, & hallucinations too - and he was on medication that was supposed to help. I know it's a rough road - but you will be victorious.
Old 09-13-2017, 04:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Keep going MM

D
Old 09-13-2017, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Maladaptive

MM, i quit smoking a few years back with the help of some meds. So glad I did!
When I walk past smokers, it smells awful! But I try not to be one of "those" ex smokers who are mean to current ones.

You'll be glad you toughed it out! Congrats on your sober days!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Magsie

Nice work, MM. When I came off the caffeine I had terrible pains in my legs and arms which I was told were withdrawals they did pass though, I've had no experience of smoking but when my hubby stopped he ate much more, not sure if that was something to do with his hands or just satisfying a craving.

Congratulations on your achievements, you're doing brilliantly! Ps. Like your daughters sense of humour!
Old 09-13-2017, 07:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Originally Posted by MindfulMan View Post
Just checking in. It's been a week off nicotine cold turkey, 127 days off drugs and booze. First week was easy, few cravings, withdrawal manageable. Week 2 bad symptoms, insomnia, nightmares about using, headachy, brain fog, and the nicotine cravings are manifesting as drug and alcohol cravings.

Fortunately I have good support right now, but I can't wait for this phase to be over!!!

Anyone else gone through this with nicotine?
I quit at about 24 years sobriety and went through a very difficult time, which I did not connect to smoking. It was bad enough that I talked to my doctor about the anger that was coming out. A year or two later I met another person who had the same experience and figured out it was partly due to the smoking. That had been my way of dealing with stress and resentment.

At the time I was also not particularly active in AA, apart from a few meetings. The whole thing seemed to resolve itself when I got busy again with some service and sponsoring a couple of guys. The solution to the rough spot turned out to be spiritual in nature. Working with others. It seems to work when all else fails.

I admire you knocking it on the head now. I had an opportunity to do that and didn't take it. Looking at how it affected me, I don't think I was properly sober until the smoking stopped.