Notices

Is Inpatient treatment the only way to sobriety?

Old 09-06-2017, 04:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is Inpatient treatment the only way to sobriety?

Just got out of a counseling meeting with my AF. It was a new counselor and they are all about "Inpatient is the only way, nothing else will work". My gut is telling me to call BS on that, but of course I always have my doubts. I'm just curious how many people out there had success being sober without going to inpatient. My AF has already been to inpatient once before in 2012. He was sober 3 months. I just don't feel there's a one size fits all plan (meaning inpatient). Any thoughts or am I just crazy and in denial?
Old 09-06-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Plenty of people on here have stopped drinking without inpatient treatment. So it's not the only way to go to achieve sobriety.
For me, I needed to go to remove myself from the 'real' world and tackle my issue with professional help and no distractions.
I'm sure lots of people will swing by with their recovery journey which doesn't involve inpatient treatment.
Old 09-06-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Absolutely there is not a one size fits all. If you take a look around here, you will see stories from members who have stopped drinking using a variety of methods. In my opinion, it's motivation that is the key.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DOS: 08-16-2012

AA works just fine if you get a good sponsor, listen to their advice, and follow the steps.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I went to inpatient treatment once, and drank as soon as I got home. When I finally got sober for good, it was with the help of my counselor and this site.

There are lots of options for getting sober, but as Anna said, motivation is the key to success.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Agree with previous responses: motivation trumps methods every time.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Not sure that person should be counseling anyone. People have gotten sober without inpatient treatment and people have continued drinking after multiple inpatient treatment programs. There is no set formula for success, there are some very popular methods with high success rates, but addiction is a tough rascal to pin down. Wishing you the best.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So far I have been sober 12 days without any inpatient treatment but using AA. A counselor may suggest inpatient if they see their client really struggling with sobriety and want them to get help before something really bad happens.
Old 09-06-2017, 05:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

I went to inpatient and then AA and was sober for about 6 months. Then drank for another 10 years. I'm now sober 2 years using only this site and finally the real desire to remain sober. There are many different ways to get sober but the key is to want it. And I mean want it in your body, heart, and mind.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Nah, it's not the only way, I personally hate not being at home and think being an inpatient would have made things so much harder for me. But it's right for some people.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

For me, I tried counseling but could not put together more than a week here and there sober. Inpatient was the right decision so I could remove myself from daily life and triggers to focus on recovery. I haven't had a drink since and will have 10 months next week. I also found a AA home group and sponsor and faithfully attend 4-5 meetings most weeks.
Old 09-06-2017, 07:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I went to inpatient for 6 weeks and joined AA when I got home. I got a sponsor, worked the steps and went to a meeting a day almost without fail for the first year (2010) and remain sober to this day. I doubt I would have had the same outcome with outpatient or AA only, but that's just where I was at the time. However, as others have already said, nothing beats the willingness to do whatever it takes to stay sober. No facility or treatment can make someone who is unwilling to do the work get and stay sober.
Old 09-06-2017, 11:19 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

A second Anna's post. I just use ARVT, no inpatient nor any meetings. That combined with SR and a desire to never drink again has kept me sober for almost five years (it will be five years next month actually).
Old 09-07-2017, 12:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am 34 days in into my sobriety and I didn't do an inpatient program. It wasn't feasible with work because I have a new job and I'm still on probation. I tapered alcohol to avoid withdrawals and met regularly with my therapist. I didn't go to enough meetings those first few weeks though. I find myself wishing I would have done inpatient so the sole focus of my attention could be on recovery. The structure would have been good for me. I find that I get busy with work and make social plans and I almost forget that I'm in recovery and forget to do self care. You have to live breath and eat recovery at least for the first 90 days.

Writing this, I wonder if I should admit myself to an IOP DBT program. My Psychiatrist recommended it. The road ahead is going to be difficult and It's hard to imagine myself chugging along at work acting like nothing's wrong when underneath it feels like my blood is boiling or I might lose it over something stupid. I see my pdoc on Tuesday so I will ask. He's been suggesting this program for a while and I keep telling him I can't miss work.
Old 09-07-2017, 01:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Sick n tired

For me inpatient helped with the first few weeks. To be in a safe place concentrating only on my recovery. It was a 12 step rehab. But you need to carry on with mtgs counselling etc when u get out. I worked for me but I'm aware if I don't carry on the momentum now on the outside I will go backwards