Notices

Prayers going up for Florida and

Old 09-07-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ardy View Post
wow we have been watching the weather channel here at work.. it is unreal how this weather pattern is working.. Prayers to all from Mexico to the upper East Coast of the USA... for if these 3 unite its going to be hard on so many.. prayers and hope for a clearer tomorrow.. wisconsin
It is just devastating. My jaw literally dropped when I say the news! Air Canada and Westjet based out of Canada are trying to get all their passengers from the Islands. They have sent extra planes. :-(
Old 09-07-2017, 04:24 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers too for any SRers in the Caribbean - terrible destruction

D
Old 09-07-2017, 05:34 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I was drunk and high when hurricane Charley roared over us in 2004, and I remember coming to at 3am, with the fire alarms going off, and water coming in under the door.

At least this time I am sober, and far more able to be prepared for this storm.
Old 09-07-2017, 05:46 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Looks like Miami is going to take a direct hit. Hope everyone gets out before the storm hits them.
Old 09-08-2017, 07:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Floridians we are thinking of you all. Much love. Stay safe. Xoxoxo
Old 09-08-2017, 09:00 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in Florida. Stay safe.
Old 09-08-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Boxer

Originally Posted by tnek97 View Post
I was drunk and high when hurricane Charley roared over us in 2004, and I remember coming to at 3am, with the fire alarms going off, and water coming in under the door.

At least this time I am sober, and far more able to be prepared for this storm.
Same here...
Old 09-08-2017, 12:33 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Boxer1 View Post
Same here...
For someone never having to deal with a hurricane, this is really a strange thing. The closest I ever came to a hurricane was when I was a kid in New Jersey. Just got a lot of wind. I remember holding on to a tree as my legs lifted into the air. Thought it was pretty cool.
I just don't understand why people here are in such a frenzy. It would be different if I lived in the Miami or South Florida area, but here in Tampa, just don't get it. Apparently these people have been through hurricanes in the past so they know what's gonna happen so I'm following their lead. I'm expecting a strong tropical storm which this area is used to, but something tells me I'm underestimating what is coming. Anyway, got food, water, cigs, a flashlight and candles. Will pack a bag tomorrow with important stuff just in case. Really worried about all the mobile homes around here. Ready to help if I can. John
Old 09-08-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This kinda reminds me of when I lived in California. I lived in the middle of a major fire in San Diego. It's one thing to see it on TV. It's another thing when you are actually there. I have tremendous respect for firefighters and first responders. Don't know how they do it. They are true heros. John
Old 09-08-2017, 01:23 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Fingers crossed for everyone in the path of Hurricane Irma and Storm Jose.
Old 09-08-2017, 03:55 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Administrator

Prayers for the earthquake victims in Mexico too - I know a few SR members spend at least part of their year there.

D
Old 09-08-2017, 07:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Please, please everyone who is in Irma's path in Florida...get out if you haven't yet!

I hope you all are safe and have evacuated. This is just beyond horrible. I am in Canada and have never experienced a hurricane, just lost for words. Thinking of you tonight. Prayers are going up 10 fold!
Old 09-09-2017, 08:38 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cleomie View Post
Thank you. Like with Hurricane Matthew, I plan to stay sober thru Irma. Drinking will not make this situation any better, that's for sure. I need my wits about me again this year.
Good for you! This is no doubt the biggest test I am sure you have every experienced. It is now Saturday morning here in Alberta Canada and I heard people are getting out of the path of Irma in the tenths of hundreds . I hope you are too if you are going to be hit where you are. Please stay safe...first and foremost!
Old 09-09-2017, 12:38 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Well, looks like Tampa is going to be hit hard. Hard to prepare for something you've never experienced. I really feel for the people living in all the mobile homes around here. Can't imagine what they are going through. John
Old 09-09-2017, 01:01 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Old 09-09-2017, 03:26 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2muchpain View Post
Well, looks like Tampa is going to be hit hard. Hard to prepare for something you've never experienced. I really feel for the people living in all the mobile homes around here. Can't imagine what they are going through. John
Hi John - Are you heading away from there soon? Yes, it seems that this monster hurricane has changed direction a bit. Now heading for Tampa. I can only imagine how hard it must be to figure this all out, what to take, where to go, pets, kids, and the list goes on. If you own you home, might be a good idea to take your insurance papers. I hope you head to safer grounds and wish you all the best. Stay safe friend.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by heavencanwait View Post
Hi John - Are you heading away from there soon? Yes, it seems that this monster hurricane has changed direction a bit. Now heading for Tampa. I can only imagine how hard it must be to figure this all out, what to take, where to go, pets, kids, and the list goes on. If you own you home, might be a good idea to take your insurance papers. I hope you head to safer grounds and wish you all the best. Stay safe friend.
I live in an apartment so feel luckier than people in homes or mobile homes. Plan on staying put. Really don't know where I would go, since the hurricane is going to cover the entire state. Flying out of Florida isn't an option since the airport here is packed with people trying to get out. I don't live so near the coast that I have to worry about storm surge. I do live within walking distance to a nature preserve with a pretty big lake. Don't know if that will be affected. I expect to be fine but am ready to evacuate to a shelter if that's necessary. Thanks for the concern. John
Old 09-09-2017, 05:48 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

We'll be thinking of you & worrying about you, John.
Old 09-09-2017, 05:58 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Got all I need. I'll be fine. John
Old 09-09-2017, 06:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

John,
We got a direct hit last year when Mathew came ashore ,...which was a weaker storm. I work in a beast of a concrete and steel structured 5 story building ,...a resort,...and slept most of the way through it thinking it would skirt by us like Hugo ( a CAT 5 ) did in 89'before it devastated Charleston SC .
Was so grateful,...and initially just curious about the damage, I ended up traveling to Charleston everyday for 10 days to volunteer with the Red Cross Relief there. Unthinkable damage everywhere.

With Mathew last year, ,...it was shocking to see how many old growth trees it took down,.... well over 10,000 . Our clean up lasted at least 7 or 8 months . It took about 8 days to get the roads passable from fallen trees .

Most anyone who has ever ridden out a bad hurricane in a residential type structure would never,....ever do it again.

I normally won't evacuate until the last minute in the middle of the night, ,...to avoid the horrific traffic out there,....many times I've just driven 2 or 3 hundred miles, ...and hang out somewhere and return home the next day.
By waiting until the last minute, ....it works out because I've not spent too much time out there,

...and there's always a good chance the storm will head up to the outer banks...and of course there is no vacancy for 500 miles practically. Reservations fill so early, and quickly,..

Anyway,...be safe,...be smart my friend .

I don't mean to sound like an alarmist, but the eastern / northestern section of the cone tends to be the most intense .