SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   I'm here for support (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/415401-im-here-support.html)

kona5k 09-05-2017 07:08 AM

I'm here for support

Drinking alcohol gives me problems and makes me sick but I continue to drink. Last night I drank 10 beers, blacked out, and called into work sick today. I'm very depressed and full of shame. I've known I've had drinking problems ever since I started, 18 years ago. I've gone a few months here and there without drinking but not more than a year. I binge drink almost always to the point of blacking out. I don't know why I do this?

I'm running out of options. I've drank very heavily especially in the last month. What does it take to be sober and remain that way? Please help. Thank you for being part of this wonderful community.

Jezzi 09-05-2017 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by kona5k (Post 6597095)
I don't know why I do this?

Sounds like you're in the same boat as all of us here; we're powerless over alcohol.

You can definitely achieve sobriety as so many people here have proven. You're in the right place for support, stick around :)

ScottFromWI 09-05-2017 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by kona5k (Post 6597095)
I'm running out of options. I've drank very heavily especially in the last month. What does it take to be sober and remain that way? Please help. Thank you for being part of this wonderful community.

Welcome back Kona. I drank for decades and had several failed attempts at quitting too. As far as "what it takes" to quit and truly stay quit, I think we all have "what it takes" already inside us. For me the difference this time is that I unconditionally accepted that taking even one sip of alcohol is never going to be an option for me - ever again. I also accepted that there is something inherent to my nature that makes me lose control over my drinking once I start - and that I will always be that way.

Regardless of whether or not you decide to follow a structured recovery program or not, I truly believe that the first step - Accepting/coming to terms/surrendering to to the fact that alcohol is indeed the problem, and that total abstinence is the only possible solution.

Once you can get to that point, there are a myriad of support options out there - because I think we all need support of some kind. Doesn't matter if it's AA/NA, other meeting based communities, self pace methods, counseling, rehab - they are all ways for you to be around those who understand your problem because they have the same problem.

TodayEveryDay 09-05-2017 07:40 AM

HI kona5. I can really relate to the depression and shame, it’s so crippling and i really feel your pain.

For me, the first thing that made a difference was to admit to myself that I had absolutely no power over alcohol; that the truth was that my drinking was killing me and my life was a train-wreck that I could not stop.

Secondly, I opened up to people in my life about what was going on. The support was overwhelming and the relief I felt was immense; finally my dirty little secret had been told.

Then, like everyone else here I got help. Spoke to my psychiatrist, read forums, spoke to clinical detox/rehabs and started my journey. I’ve fallen over lots of times and it has been hard and painful. But compared to how hard and awful my life was before it has been a much easier ironically.

Make the choice and go for it :-)

kona5k 09-05-2017 07:49 AM

Thank you. I'm going for it.

Anna 09-05-2017 08:59 AM

The reason why you do this is because you are an alcoholic. There is no logic involved. But, you can change that.

I think to stop drinking and recover there are two things. You have to make a commitment to avoid alcohol. And, you have to make some lifestyle changes to support your recovery. Stopping drinking on its own is usually not enough to lead to long term recovery.

You will find lots of support and information here, so I hope you continue to read and post.

Dee74 09-05-2017 03:03 PM

Welcome back Kona :)

you say you're running out of options - what have you tried so far?

D