Notices

Here we go...first post

Old 09-04-2017, 02:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Here we go...first post

Hi all, I have been viewing the forum posts here on and off for some time now, but finally took the plunge and registered. So..basically I am in my late twenties, been struggling for years with alcohol addiction... Made some progress this year, managed 3 months completely sober but slipped back into it in a big way.. lately I manage to get a rhythm of sobriety going only to slip again (usually come the weekend) and this is obviously a huge setback and hope-killer since I can't seem to make it truly stick. Would greatly appreciate any insights you people might have to share.. I am very much a raw work in progress.. thank you!!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yeah it sure is a slippery slope this whole alcohol addiction shizz. You have proven you can stop for an extended period of time so that is a huge plus.
Maybe write down why you want to stop completely and refer to it when you get the urge to drink?
I kept trying to moderate and control my drinking well into my 30's. I wish I had stopped late twenties when I knew it was a problem because experience tells me it only gets worse. This nightmare is progressive.
Post often on here and read around, this site has kept me sober with only 1 minor blip for 10 months and counting
Old 09-04-2017, 03:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi ans welcoem LoneWolf

Oosting here regularly gave me rraction...it was much harder to convince myself I didn;t have a problem when I could read my story, and iother peoples stories in black and white. That decision to drink again was made that much harder by being here .

SR helped me turn my life around - I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 09-04-2017, 04:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the feedback Yeah I believe by being on here will help, isolation is something I tend to steer towards and that is probably a driver for my drinking. Hope to get back to a sobriety as of today and make it stick! Hopeless and uncertainty of whether I will relapse or not tends to really hurt my chances, but trying to take it one day at a time
Old 09-04-2017, 05:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

welcome hun x
Old 09-04-2017, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had lots and lots of false starts, too. I believe most of us had. My advice: love yourself, especially when you make mistakes and don't stop trying.
Old 09-04-2017, 05:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Stay focused on keeping the booze out of your life. Also try reaching out for help. I was sceptic to AA for years, but once I was willing to join I saw it helps a lot - mainly in giving me faith it is possible not only to quit, but to live happily ever after
Old 09-04-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
sober style

Hi LoneWolf! Howl's it going.
Old 09-04-2017, 06:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the support people, appreciate it! Feeling a bit edgy but getting through the day.. I know it will get easier. Weekdays are easier in that going to work and getting normal stuff done helps me stay on track and leaves less of a 'window' to abuse alcohol..
Old 09-04-2017, 07:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello

I'm new too, I'm in my early 30s, I'm trying to bite the bullet because I know it only gets worse! I have been sober through a couple pregnancies with no issue but I hear you, once you start again it's like you go right back to where you were. It's so hard to stay committed and alcohol is so over abundant and accepted. Anyway, welcome, it's good to read other posts that you can relate to so well.
Old 09-04-2017, 08:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Yeah that is true, it can and is very frustrating, after I relapsed following 3 months of sobriety it hit me pretty hard and was devastating. However, each period of sobriety can be a learning curve I guess.. I learned that I did not manage my general anxiety well, I felt like I was given this miracle of sobriety but had to hold on to it really tightly... having too much energy due to the 'cloud' being lifted was tricky, and I have a bit of a perfectionist nature and just living one day at a time is tough. Here's to hoping next time round I will know better...
Old 09-04-2017, 11:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I think many of us can relate to the perfectionist trait, I know I can. Too much pressure placed on oneself is a recipe for disaster. Mix that with unhealthy coping skills and we get ourselves into a world of trouble.
Someone above mentioned loving yourself. It's so important to refrain from being your own worst enemy, we are human and will never be perfect. Mistakes will be made.
I found it hard to be kind to myself mentally but with practise it does help. Positive self talk I slipped up over a month ago and that slip made my resolve stronger. I came straight here and let my November 2016 class know of my slip and the support helped get me straight back on the horse. I don't look at it like I threw away 9 months, I look at it as over 270 wins with 1 loss. Those odds are pretty awesome.
You can stop, you just need to ride out the early days. It does get easier, sometimes too easy and I mistakenly became too complacent. Hence my minor blip
Old 09-04-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

No matter how many times you fall, every attempt makes you better knowing the stones, fittings and points of balance of this well you trying to climb. Next time will always leave you nearer to the exit

They say that the more times you tried, the closer you are to achieving. So, don't look at the slips like a failure, look at the months you conquered with proud, put up your sleeves and try again.
Old 09-04-2017, 11:55 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Lonewolf

Come and join us in the September class - for people quitting this month
Old 09-04-2017, 11:58 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. Early sobriety is one of the harder things I've done in my life. The good news it does get easier with time. If you can make staying sober the most important part of your day and week and month, you should experience some success.
Old 09-04-2017, 12:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome LoneWolf. You mentioned isolation. Im one who used to go out and drink around others. Then I started making an ass of myself and began isolating and drinking alone. Nothing was going to come between me and my booze! It's a tough pattern to break. SR is a great way to connect to others struggling and pull out of the rut. Maybe check out AA or other recovery methods as well.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:25 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, LoneWolf. I'd give anything to go back to my 20's & do what you're doing. My whole life would've turned out so different. All the drama & chaos - for absolutely nothing. Welcome!
Old 09-04-2017, 02:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi, welcome to SR!!! As the others have said...posting & reading here is a great tool. I started therapy too (not everyones cup of tea) but i needed to figure out my triggers & learn to deal with them without guzzling the vino!!
Old 09-04-2017, 05:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-04-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, LoneWolf! I'm glad you found us here.