Try SoberRecovery!

Join the class thread and tell us a little about yourself:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post6591372

Read around and post often!
Old 09-02-2017, 09:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome Stantonstation

I think, regardless of the method used, people who stay in recovery have a commitment to, willingness for, and a desire to change. No stone left unturned.

You''ll find a lot of support here

D
Old 09-03-2017, 12:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"Tried" never works. Doing anything and everything it takes does.
Old 09-03-2017, 03:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I could argue that I tried AA and it didn't work. In the course of my rehab I attended about 8 meetings. I think I missed the point. I got the idea that all I had to do was don't drink and go to meetings. My thought was if I can do the former, I don't need the latter. That was me trying AA.

Of our group of ten, only two cottoned on to AA and went after the rehab. They really tried at the program of recovery and they are both still sober today.

About a year later, I was the only one of the remaining eight that was still alive, and the penny dropped. There was a whole lot more to AA than the meetings. I began the steps and really tried to get this higher power deal. I never drank again.

Of those on my group, 30% recovered. Good result for the rehab. Of those in my group who went to AA and really tried,100% recovered. Of those who didn't 100% were dead within a year. Rr and avrt had not been thought of at that time, so no reflection on them.

I would suggest saving AA for last. I found when there no other options left, it tended to increase my willingness just enough to make a success of it.
Old 09-03-2017, 04:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Just about a 100% agreement with all Gottalife said.

I railed against AA for years, as I just kept drinking while knowing I was an alcoholic and "ignoring" it. When it was my last resort (my parents weren't going to pay for the expensive place my drs wanted to send me ASAP that Feb day in 2016).....I surrendered and AA saved my life- because it is a program of action if you want to make it so and that is 100% successful for me.
Old 09-03-2017, 05:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The key for me was having a "babysitter" for a few days. My daughter kept watch to keep me away from alcohol at first. I could've snuck some, but I took advantage of the help and quit. After that, there has been no going back. My friends aren't big drinkers and it helped that drinking and socializing weren't big parts of my life.
I tried AA - clearly a great program for a lot of people -, but was very difficult for me to get to meetings. SR has been a great resource to help me stay sober.

Find your motivation then figure out how to keep it going. Try a meeting or read here, read a book, call a support line and talk with someone. Many employers have Employee Assistance Programs that are confidential. Do something and take a step towards getting sober. Just the act of taking action will help.
Post here and let everyone know how you are doing.
Old 09-03-2017, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

Welcome!

Not sure what you mean by "tried," Stanton. All I can offer is my experience in the fond hope that some of it might be helpful to you.

This is long, I know, but I'm pretty enthusiastic about my recovery/discovery and really want to share this with you!

Since around 2010, I've been trying to overcome my addiction to alcohol. I was stubborn, as I've always been able to accomplish what I set out to do. With regard to addiction, that was useless. But I tried over and over again, trying to think my way out of the problem. I watched youtube talks, posted on a couple of recovery boards, read scholarly articles, and developed a well-informed understanding of the process of addiction. It Didn't Help.

I tried SMART, I tried SR, I tried counseling, I tried Intensive Outpatient Treatment, I tried I tried I tried. But here's the rub: in a way, I loved the beast, loved that Its AV was convincing me to drink against my will. Big secret, don't tell anyone.

Will schmill, what I needed was the sincere desire to become a person with integrity: the me I could be if I wasn't so scared of my failure and being hurt again. For me this time, it took the possibility that I would likely lose my job if I didn't follow their instructions for treatment. At this juncture (18 days ago), I had several choices, including gaming the system to drink at times when a urine screen couldn't catch me. That first opportunity arose last week and I DID think about drinking. But I didn't.

For me, the key was to put a foundation in place and act on it. Make a schedule that will keep me busy from day until night, go to an AA meeting, notice the beast and dismiss IT, meditate, do things I enjoy, exercise, communicate by phone or in person on a very regular basis with people who care about me. That's a lot, right? But that's what it's taking for me for now. I haven't gotten to the exercise bit yet, but I will!

I hope that there is something in that big lot of words that strikes you.

Thanks so much for joining us - by continuing to post, you will help others, often without even knowing you're doing so.

O

p.s. Yoda was right, "There is no try... do."
Old 09-03-2017, 07:57 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Gottalife is right!

AA is more than meetings and fellowship, though those are valuable too. You have to invest in the program entirely, which means getting a sponsor, a home group, possibly a few different meetings (Speaker, discussion, big book) and working the steps one by one all the way through.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I believe that it's much more about motivation and less about how you choose to stop drinking.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
quat

In conjunction with the importance of separation in AVRT, the idea of permanent abstinence in the face of desire were pivotal concepts for me.

You said you tried AVRT, did you attempt a Big Plan ? Here on SR in the Secular Connections forum are some really good threads and discussions on the difference between attempting( which is to say not having made one) and making a Big Plan.
Old 09-03-2017, 11:17 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

ive tried AVRT and the 12 steps.
Any one out there got any suggestions?

personally not until i read what was involved in "tried."
Old 09-03-2017, 12:49 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Recovered

The one that GETS DONE is the best one for you.

I didn't get sober when I needed it.
I didn't get sober when I wanted it (even more than anything).
I got sober when I did the work.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yes the truth is either try or Do for sure.
Appeciate the candid words of reply.

I'm going to laminate my printed Bi Plan and attach to fridge dooras affirmation
Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

[Said gently] From your other thread, it sounds like you are still drinking. I see your last post is from just a bit ago (EST) - the bottom line is you have to quit drinking, full stop, before anything - any program- has a chance to get a legit beginning.

Today can be that day for you.
Old 09-04-2017, 03:49 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Please Read! The Newcomers Forum is a safe and welcoming place for newcomers. Respect is essential. Debates over Recovery Methods are not allowed on the Newcomer's Forum. Posts that violate this rule will be removed without notice. (Support and experience only please.)
Just a reminder of the rule for Newcomers forum.

Please share your own experience of what worked for you, not your opinion of someone else's experience.

I've removed some posts.

Thanks.

Dee
SR