SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Four years sober (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/415301-four-years-sober.html)

Ornithology 09-02-2017 07:11 AM

Four years sober

Just realized my four year anniversary was about a week ago.
To say life is different or better is an understatement. In the past four years I've lost 60 pounds, lowered my blood pressure, ran a half-marathon, sailed across the Atlantic Ocean with five friends, and most importantly, was a better husband, parent, and friend.
Life is not perfect, but it doesn't need to be. And I still have plenty of stuff I would like to work on, but drinking isn't one of them. I wouldn't be where I am now if I was drinking myself into a stupor everyday like I did for several decades.
None of this would have been possible without this forum. It was the realization that everyday there were people around the world saying "today is day one" that allowed me to make the same simple declaration. Like that moment in the movie the Wizard of Oz when Dorothy found out she could have returned to Kansas anytime she wanted to, I realized I could have stopped drinking anytime I wanted to.
Thank you Dee and everyone who posts their failures, frustrations, small wins, and big wins on this forum. I have found strength and encouragement from all of you.

Maudcat 09-02-2017 07:13 AM

Congratulations, Ornithology.
Thanks for posting.
I love success stories.

Nowsthetime 09-02-2017 07:18 AM

Congrats Orni!!!

Happy 4th! Woohooooo!!!

DarklingSong 09-02-2017 07:25 AM

Wow. Thank you for the hope!
It is great to hear that it can be done....4 years is wonderful.

Venecia 09-02-2017 07:30 AM

Congratulations, Ornithology!

Yes, it is an understatement to say "life is better." I don't think the words really exist to fully describe the transformation.

It is a joy to be on this road with you, Orn, and the Class of August 2013. It's equally rewarding to share this milestone with those newer to SR, and sobriety, as living proof of the possible.

All the best.

thenewguy 09-02-2017 07:35 AM

Congrats from a fellow August 2013er! :You_Rock_

rainyengland 09-02-2017 07:38 AM

Brilliant - thank you for posting as gives us a incentive 😁

Huge congratulations !

Outonthetiles 09-02-2017 10:45 AM

Great post, Ornithology, and congrats on four years. It's amazing that we all have the keys to our cells all along, but we sometimes don't recognize that.
For twenty years it was inconceivable that I would not drink. It literally never crossed my mind, any more than I considered building a house on top of Mt. Everest. It just wasn't something I considered. Once I realized that drinking myself to death was NOT a requirement and that I could stop, everything in my life fell into place. I didn't do any other program...just SR. SR (and more accurately, the people here) saves lives, no doubt about it.

Ornithology 09-02-2017 11:17 AM

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles (Post 6594311)
Great post, Ornithology, and congrats on four years. It's amazing that we all have the keys to our cells all along, but we sometimes don't recognize that.
For twenty years it was inconceivable that I would not drink. It literally never crossed my mind, any more than I considered building a house on top of Mt. Everest. It just wasn't something I considered. Once I realized that drinking myself to death was NOT a requirement and that I could stop, everything in my life fell into place. I didn't do any other program...just SR. SR (and more accurately, the people here) saves lives, no doubt about it.

Thank you for this, you said it much better I can but this is exactly how I feel four years in.

PurpleKnight 09-02-2017 12:30 PM

4 Years is fantastic Ornithology!! :You_Rock_

JD 09-02-2017 03:22 PM

Congratulations! You're the man.

least 09-02-2017 03:49 PM

Congrats on four years sober and thanks for sharing your inspiring story. :scoregood

january161992 09-02-2017 04:24 PM

https://patpgmr.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=351&h=360

Mattq2 09-02-2017 05:22 PM

Good for you. Sailing across the Atlantic sounds like an awesome adventure.

Dee74 09-02-2017 05:43 PM

Congratulations Orn :)

D

Hevyn 09-02-2017 06:06 PM

4 years! How amazing, Ornithology. We're so proud of you. :)

silentrun 09-02-2017 06:48 PM

Congratulations Ornithology, you had the power all along. :)

heavencanwait 09-02-2017 07:10 PM

What a great post! Congratulations! 4 years is just awesome!!

Poppy79 09-02-2017 08:23 PM

Wonderful post. I agree, SR is a life saver if you open yourself up to it and allow it to be.
Massive props on 4 years :)

Soberwolf 09-03-2017 12:33 PM

Big well done from me