SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Feeling sick in early sobriety (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/415264-feeling-sick-early-sobriety.html)

Spybee007 09-01-2017 08:37 AM

Feeling sick in early sobriety

Hi all,

I am not seeking medical advice, I am just wondering if anyone else delat with any of this when they first became sober.

I have a doctors appointment scheduled for this Wednesday.

I was sober for 9 days, slipped and drank 14 3.2 beers, and now I am at 7 days sober. I've been drinking 3-4 days (12 beers/night) a week since I was 19. I am absolutely ready to give up alcohol forever.

The issues I have been having are a cramping/burning pain under my right rib on and off, I wake up with horrible gas pains that stretch across my hips/lower abdomen, they go away after 30 mins of being up and walking around. I have nausea in the mornings. After I eat my stomach gets huge, it feels bloated and really hard to the touch. Also, this sounds weird but my pee smells a lot stronger than I've ever noticed before.

Last liver panel I had was 8 months ago and was fine, no high levels. I'll ask my new Doc this Wednesday for a full panel and hopefully an ultrasound.

I've had IBS diagnosis and had gastritis in the past due to alcohol. The gastritis cleared, but I'm just wondering if anyone else had these kinds of issues in early sobriety? Thanks!

Ryan

Anna 09-01-2017 09:21 AM

Sometimes things are going on with our health that we don't notice or pay attention to until we begin recovery. I'm glad you're talking to your dr next week. I hope you begin to feel better.

DontRemember 09-01-2017 12:21 PM

I was a heavy beer drinker and know I experienced the bloated'ness & pains. I knew it was the drinking,who wouldn't? I've recently seen some pictures of myself in my drinking 'days' and wow! I look 'fat' and just miserable,although 'wearing' a smile! I'm ashamed FOR my former self and now use those pics and memories as motivation to never go 'there' again.

Dee74 09-01-2017 04:48 PM

Let us know how you get on at the Drs Ryan :)

D

sugarbear1 09-01-2017 05:09 PM

Always good to get checked out! Most likely it's just your body learning not to have alcohol to numb it anymore

Joeshope54 09-01-2017 08:21 PM

The pain I would get under my ribs right side is what made me quit. It's only been 5 days but I have been drinking every day since my teens and now I'm in my fifties.The pain is almost gone but the worst for me is the insomnia.lm used to drinking myself to sleep. Good luck to you.

Spybee007 09-02-2017 07:59 AM

Originally Posted by Joeshope54 (Post 6593687)
The pain I would get under my ribs right side is what made me quit. It's only been 5 days but I have been drinking every day since my teens and now I'm in my fifties.The pain is almost gone but the worst for me is the insomnia.lm used to drinking myself to sleep. Good luck to you.

Good luck to you too! Glad to hear your pain is almost gone and in 5 days! Mine seems better from yesterday, I'm thinking it's my IBS acting up from stress.. That can be a big trigger. Do you exercise? The days I get out and walk are the days I sleep the best.

Spybee007 09-02-2017 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6593548)
Let us know how you get on at the Drs Ryan :)

D

I will 😉😁

Spybee007 09-02-2017 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by DontRemember (Post 6593294)
I was a heavy beer drinker and know I experienced the bloated'ness & pains. I knew it was the drinking,who wouldn't? I've recently seen some pictures of myself in my drinking 'days' and wow! I look 'fat' and just miserable,although 'wearing' a smile! I'm ashamed FOR my former self and now use those pics and memories as motivation to never go 'there' again.

I'm hoping to do the same! I notice some change in my face, eyes not puffy and look brighter. Its only been 8 days though. The rest of my body isnt fat just my damn stomach haha. Did your bloatedness and pains go away yet?

Jezzi 09-02-2017 08:22 AM

Hello! I suffer from IBS too. The first couple of weeks it acted up quite a bit. The bloating went down after about a week. Tomorrow will be 5 wks for me and physically I feel better. I still have bouts of tiredness and slight headaches, and my stomach acts up sometimes, but it's farther apart and not as bad.

I'm glad you're going in for a check-up. We've really done a number on our bodies so it's always good to be on the safe side. :)