Notices

Took online alcohol screening Quizzes

Old 08-31-2017, 10:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Took online alcohol screening Quizzes

I took multiple online alcohol screening Quizzes. They either came back as no problem or mild alcohol abuse disorder depending on the test. As far as alcohol dependence goes I do not meet the criteria for alcohol dependence at all. I did answer them honestly.

So if I do have any issue with drinking it seems to be a mild one at worst. I'm not a daily drinker. Usually just 2 or 3 beers on Friday after work and maybe 3 or 4 on sunday.

I guess my question is basically the line between healthy drinking so to speak and problem drinking? Ive read that alcohol problems usually is a progressive disease that gets worse. I drank a hell of a lot more in my 20's then I do now (I'm 39) so I cant say its progressing. Also I guess the other thing you are supposed to look at is if your drinking causes problems. I can say honestly it isn't at the moment. It caused some issues back in my 20s but I cant say it does now,

I know there is no blood test or MRI they run on you that can determine if your an alcoholic so I guess any diagnosis is going to be somewhat subjective and open to interpretation.

Anyway thoughts.
Thank you
Old 08-31-2017, 10:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!

It's kind of an invisible line in my experience; it was hard to pinpoint exactly when I crossed over from "no problem" to having a problem.

Something made you Google all those tests -- is there something about your drinking that bothers or concerns you?
Old 08-31-2017, 10:52 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tursiops999 View Post
Hi and welcome!

It's kind of an invisible line in my experience; it was hard to pinpoint exactly when I crossed over from "no problem" to having a problem.

Something made you Google all those tests -- is there something about your drinking that bothers or concerns you?
I just watched an episode of intervention on tv. Got me thinking about my own drinking habits and how I compare to others
Old 09-01-2017, 01:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well...if you're looking for a "control group" with which to compare your drinking habits, I'd venture to say you're in the wrong place; most of us here fall firmly in the "out of control" group when it comes to alcohol. But welcome to SR!
Old 09-01-2017, 01:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You could watch a show on colon cancer and then begin panicking that you've got it, are about to get it, and that you consume too much red meat... then seek out a colon cancer forum and join the ranks and... it's silly in my opinion. According to you, you have 6 beers a week. I don't get the problem. Does a toddler, just starting to walk, worry about running a marathon? This forum will never justify or "ok" your consumption. So what I see happening is you convincing yourself you're a full fledged boozer with a disease and go about a crusade of recovery... from... get this... light drinking. I dunno man. If you're going to become an alcoholic, the stage is already set and that will happen. If not, then...
Old 09-01-2017, 02:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Federal guidelines state that "normal" drinking is no more than 4 drinks a day, with no more than 14 total in a week. With drink 2-4 drinks on the weekends, I think it's pretty safe to say you don't have a drinking problem.
Most of us drunks would put down 14 drinks in a day,... every day,..
Though there is nothing wrong with expanding your knowledge on alcoholism.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
2/2016

Really the only test is this: is alcohol causing problems in your life? shame? guilt? trouble with wife? depressed mood? are you secretly worried? tired of being tired? the amount is not the key for me, the problems are. light alcohol use is ok but I am much happier without any at all. you might be suprised how much better you feel. quit for 90 days and reassess.
Old 09-01-2017, 05:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JD
You're not shackled to not drinking, you're free from drinking

Welcome to SR. If you're here you must have some concerns, or someone in your life does? It's really up to you to decide where you go from here. But I will tell you, life without alcohol is very doable and is not as uncommon as it might have been in the past. People don't drink for a number of reasons.
Old 09-01-2017, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Arpeggioh View Post
Well...if you're looking for a "control group" with which to compare your drinking habits, I'd venture to say you're in the wrong place; most of us here fall firmly in the "out of control" group when it comes to alcohol. But welcome to SR!
Thanks for the response. Guess your right if I'm using the members on this site I'm in pretty good shape with my drinking habits. Any ideas on what would be a apporiate to compare myself to?
Old 09-01-2017, 06:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by HTown View Post
Really the only test is this: is alcohol causing problems in your life? shame? guilt? trouble with wife? depressed mood? are you secretly worried? tired of being tired? the amount is not the key for me, the problems are. light alcohol use is ok but I am much happier without any at all. you might be suprised how much better you feel. quit for 90 days and reassess.
I cant say its causing any issues in the areas you listed at this point in my life. Maybe back in my 20's but not today or anytime in the last decade I would say. I think it would come down to degree of problems or if you feel the benefit outweights any harm. Any thoughts on degree of problem that would signify an issue. A " problem" is kind of a vague and pretty subjective term. One could consider lots of things problems. For example is the 10 dollars I spent at happy hour last Friday a financial "problem"? I can liv without the 10 bucks so no. Or is a moment of minor shame a "problem"? Its just kind of a very flexible standard that if you see a problem you could construe it as a a problem or not. Guess it comes down to what degree of problem you are willing to accept
Old 09-01-2017, 07:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

If drinking isn't a problem, you should have no problem quitting. If quitting proves difficult, then maybe that is an issue.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by Curtinmd View Post
Any ideas on what would be a apporiate to compare myself to?
It wouldn't be appropriate to compare yourself to anyone. Only you can decide if it is a problem for you or not.

It does seem that you are trying very hard to either convince yourself that you don't have a problem, or to try and get someone here to tell you that you do or don't. We cannot answer that question for you.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:56 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sure doesn't look like you have any sort of a problem to me. Members of this forum have a natural tendency, in my humble opinion, to think that anyone that posts here must have some sort of problem. I suppose that is true in most circumstances, but all of your posts suggest strongly to me that you are a "normie" and have no significant reason to be concerned. Personally, I say good for you for being aware enough about the potential risks to come here and ask the questions that you are asking.
Old 09-01-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My doctor told me alcohol is absorbed into the body as a sugar, provides no nutritional value and is a waste of calories. Something to consider.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:47 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Curtinmd!!
Old 09-01-2017, 03:30 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

So, honestly, what happened in your life that made you feel shame about drinking?
Old 09-02-2017, 05:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Debbyjay View Post
So, honestly, what happened in your life that made you feel shame about drinking?
I would say I haven't felt shame about my drinking in a very long time. Mostly when I was a much heavier drinker in my 20's. ( 39 now). I drove quite a bit back then when I was drinking. Could have hurt someone. So I feel a bit of shame about that. Don't do that anymore good thing I wised up
Old 09-02-2017, 05:42 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
My doctor told me alcohol is absorbed into the body as a sugar, provides no nutritional value and is a waste of calories. Something to consider.
So is have the stuff me and probably most of us eat anymore has no nutritional value. Does that mean I should never have a cookie again? I get your overall point though.

Although I do believe the research is their are health benefits are moderate levels of drinking
Old 09-02-2017, 06:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Curtinmd View Post
So is have the stuff me and probably most of us eat anymore has no nutritional value. Does that mean I should never have a cookie again? I get your overall point though.

Although I do believe the research is their are health benefits are moderate levels of drinking
Your body can store the energy from a cookie and use it when needed. It cannot store the energy from alcohol. It metabolises the ethanol asap into ethanal (acetaldehyde) which is actually a carcinogen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetal...arcinogenicity
The acetaldehyde is further metabolised to acetic acid.
Old 09-02-2017, 04:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
No Dogma Please

Originally Posted by Pondlady View Post
Originally Posted by decchemist View Post
Your body can store the energy from a cookie and use it when needed. It cannot store the energy from alcohol. It metabolises the ethanol asap into ethanal (acetaldehyde) which is actually a carcinogen. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acetal...arcinogenicity
The acetaldehyde is further metabolised to acetic acid.
There are also positive health effects from moderate drinking, mostly cardiovascular, but also gallstones and diabetes. The benefits generally outweigh the risks in moderate drinking. Note MODERATE.

The program director of my IOP, who is a recovering heroin addict and a well respected researcher and clinician, basically said flat out that the measure of addiction is negative consequences. If you're not experiencing negative consequences, feel free to continue to use. If the consequences become negative, stop. Negative consequences include a risk of a DUI, job performance, relationships, health, etc. Only you can decide if you're experiencing negative consequences, although a doctor, close relative, spouse/partner, or close friend that sees you frequently can also clue you in if things are happening that you're just not recognizing.

One test for moderate vs addictive drinkings is can you easily stop for 90 days.

Note that it is a progressive disease. I also drank a lot while in grad school in my early 30s, mostly bingeing. but almost completely stopped until my early 40s, when moderate drinking gradually lead to life-threatening alcoholism over 10 years. I would keep an eye on it.