SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   New (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/415239-new.html)

Ronmyster 08-31-2017 06:55 PM

New

hello, new to forum and to sobriety. After 45 yr of drinking on and off, mostly on I quit two weeks ago. I am doing fine mentally and emotionally as I was more than ready to quit. I am having fairly severe dull pain in my lower intestinal track. I have been on anti-biotics thinking it was a diverticuits flare up but it hasn't had a affect on it.Can anyone help me with what I could do? Thank you

Obladi 08-31-2017 07:09 PM

Hi Ronmyster,

I had that pain too. It worked it's way from my stomach to my upper intestinal tract and then to the lower. I got my eating (correctly) back on the right track, drank boatloads of water and cut caffeine way back. I'm just 16 days sober, and if memory serves, it resolved a couple of days ago.

Did the doctor prescribe antibiotics? Does he/she know about the extent of your drinking? If things don't get better soon, I'd suggest a visit.

O

Dee74 08-31-2017 07:31 PM

Hi Ronmyster :)

Two weeks is still pretty early days but antibiotics work pretty fast on me, so I dunno.

None of us here are Drs, though.

I'd go back to your Dr, or get a second opinion if you feel the first doctor missed something or, for whatever reason, didn't realise the extent of your drinking.

D

axeman5971 08-31-2017 07:36 PM

I've found you have To be honest with docs. They can't help you if you hide for pride. Mine told me I would have to stop drinking for life. I tried thinking I could do it my way. I am realizing he is most likely right.

For context, I entered outpatient treatment after 10ish years of occasional problem drinking, with 5 years of escalation, and 2 years of classic addiction. I have 25 days clean today, longest in a decade. 2 AA and one NA meeting this week in top of treatment. I am making this one count.

Midwest1981 08-31-2017 09:33 PM

welcome to SR! congrats on quitting 2 weeks ago. / I have never had stomach issues before. I think talking to your DR. is the best idea. :)

PurpleKnight 09-01-2017 12:40 PM

Welcome to the Forum Ronmyster!! :wave:

Ronmyster 09-01-2017 01:13 PM

New

Originally Posted by Obladi (Post 6592586)
Hi Ronmyster,

I had that pain too. It worked it's way from my stomach to my upper intestinal tract and then to the lower. I got my eating (correctly) back on the right track, drank boatloads of water and cut caffeine way back. I'm just 16 days sober, and if memory serves, it resolved a couple of days ago.

Did the doctor prescribe antibiotics? Does he/she know about the extent of your drinking? If things don't get better soon, I'd suggest a visit.

O

No I did not tell the doctor that I had stopped drinking or to what extent I had. He prescribed anti-biotics thinking it was diverticulitis(pain in about the same area). Is there anything he can do for the problem or do I have to just push through the pain. Thanks for all the kind words. I will beat this god willing.

Obladi 09-01-2017 09:24 PM

I have a high degree of confidence in physicians in general, so my nonprofessional opinion is that yes, he can if you give him the information he needs. I was embarrassed to come clean, but when I did, my physician said, "Oh yes, I've seen a lot of people with alcohol problems and here's what we're going to do..."

For me, I wasn't honest because I was embarrassed and ashamed. But then I realized that I was getting in my own way. Doctors want to help people get better, right? But how can they do that with insufficient information?

The more honest I get with people who can help me, the better things are going.

O

p.s. I'm quite certain God does want you to get through this - you just need to participate. :)