Notices

A hurricane and 30 days....

Old 08-31-2017, 04:39 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A hurricane and 30 days....

Well....I've been lurking in the shadows a lot the past month. Reading as much as I could. Every day i would google "x amount of days sober " and read up. It's been a long month. Today is day 30. In Jan I did 30 days as well but went back. Other than that I've drank around 10 beers every weekday and more on the weekend for maybe ehhhh 7 or 8 years. I went cold turkey. Probably not the best way. I had been to the doctor in the past to get checked up before an attempt and they had no real advice other than " drink one less today and tomorrow one less than that" and so on and so on. Like I hadn't tried that. Don't think the embarrassment of going to the doctor for it registered to them that I was pretty desperate. Sure I'd gotten away with drinking every night and still maintaining my job and paying bills and not being arrested or whatever. Probably because I just went home and drank and smoked cigarettes. I knew it was time to quit when I'd be waiting to get off work to quickly slam the first few beers to get " right ". I also noticed I was irritable and not being near the father I had the potential to be. The only other hobby I had was fishing. Offshore , from a kayak. I pretty much knew if I kept it up I'd end up too dehydrated to go on or cramped up 5 or 6 miles from shore. It is what it is I guess. I had some mornings where it was extremely difficult to wake up and get moving due to the deeeeep sober sleep. It still it kinna hard. I found days I had so little energy I could barely walk across a job site. Mental fog, body aches, etc. I ate the tiredness and pain as being able to feel what I've done to myself the past better half of a decade. We just went through a hurricane in the Texas gulf. I was stuck at home for 6 days with no power. I know there's some hot coors light in the guest bedroom my wife didn't throw out like I asked....probably for lack of faith in me quitting. Don't blame her because I haven't really given a reason for her to think I'd be successful in the past. I didn't drink it though. I was bored out of my mind. Smoked a lot. Made coffee with the inverter in my truck. I felt like the hurricane was a good test because usually people stock up on booze for them. Houston flooded like crazy. I stayed up until 4am watching the water draw closer and closer up my yard to my door. Thankfully it stopped and held and later recessed. It was really stressful. Especially being the leader of my household and responsible for everyone's safety. Maybe that was the drive. Cravings are still there but I'm pretty determined. I started around 230 #s.....still sitting around the same dispite running a decent amount this month. I would like to thin up a bit. It'll come in time I'm sure. When my energy was way down I took b12 and it really helped. So that's a good tip there.... today was my first day back at work since the hurricane....I'm exhausted either from getting back in the sun or adjusting my sleep cycle back.....anyway I figured I'd share my journey of 30 days since I've been creeping on everyone else's
Old 08-31-2017, 04:45 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good for you notsodrunk, I was like you and drank around the same amount. I did it for a hell of a lot longer. When I quit my sleep was off, energy way down, kind of e everything a mess. Eventually with enough sober time things start to even out. Just hang in there pal it gets a lot better.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats on 30 days. That's a big deal!!!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

My drinking pattern was very similar, and I just gave it time. Your body will tell you what it needs, and mine wanted a lot of rest in the beginning.

A month is a huge milestone, and with the hurricane to boot!
Old 08-31-2017, 06:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to the family, Notsodrunk. Congratulations on your 30 sober days. I'm sure it was tempting to pick up during this crisis, but you made it! Well done.
Old 08-31-2017, 06:55 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats Notsodrunk, Your drink habits sound a lot like mine was. keep up the good work.
Old 08-31-2017, 07:11 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks, it certainly has been interesting. We played dominos and skipbo in the dark with candles.....it was nice to have fun again. I've had extra money so we were able to buy a generator the last night we were out of power. . . Also bought my daughter some baby chickens, lol. And a nice cooler for WATER and fish. I appreciate the kind words, and realize this is far from over. I don't think I could drink right now without getting sick and while sometimes tempting I just don't want to. It feels good to wake up and even though I'm dramatically tired - I still feel more rested than when I was drinking. I think everyone around the house is a little happier. I play a lot more with the dogs and my daughter....still have the occasional arguement with the wife but it is what it is. I feel good about it. I appreciate the kind words it helps re-motivate my self. My wife said " that's good " when I told her. Kinna hurt my feelings a little bit. I don't really expect her to understand how hard this is. And how close I felt like my body could shut down from this. My stomach is still on the fritz....I'm tellin ya , that's the worst part right now. Other than an occasional headache/sick feeling.
Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
2/2016

You will have a lot more $$ without buying beer. it really adds up. Great for you for being connected with your family and being the head of the family and the strength for the family sober. You should be very proud. it gets even better. throw out that beer. you do not need it.
Old 09-01-2017, 12:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Notsodrunk!! Day 30 is fantastic, keep it going!!