Notices

Part of me misses the oblivion

Old 08-31-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was very scared of reality and my own 'uncontrollable' feelings.

Funny thing was - although I've felt uncomfortable at time during my recovery, I've never found any situation, emotion, or loss too much to bear.

My fear of reality was much much greater a terror than the reality itself.

I find more joy in dealing with lifes ups and downs know than I ever did in being 'obliviated'.
Old 08-31-2017, 04:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

One thing that I didn't realize was that I was trying to escape how lousy the drinking was making me feel by drinking more. The drinking was causing the anxiety and distress that I found so uncomfortable. It did take a few months to really start to feel better though.
Old 08-31-2017, 05:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Yea I too drank to deal with anxiety, a racing mind, intense emotions, you name it. I drink to escape it all and just forget for a little while.

I've found dealing with life on life's terms is a hard thing to do. Sometimes things do get intense. That escape is what has always led me back to drinking, and the same cycle of misery.

Life is hard. We must retrain our brain to live sober.
Old 08-31-2017, 09:14 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I hated the sensation of being drunk, especially towards the end of my drinking days. Like I always said, I didn't like alcohol, but I sure liked the way it tasted!

I wasn't witty or funny anymore...I was getting to be sad and morose. I could feel my tongue get thick and my brain slow down and I hated it. I guess I liked the period between two drinks and three drinks, but after that, once the addiction took over, I was on the crazy train.