Notices

A Labour of Love - Labor Day Weekender 1st - 4th Sept.

Old 09-03-2017, 02:20 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 years, Mecanix!
Old 09-03-2017, 02:30 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Thanks P ,
There have been some good days and some stinkers .
With sobriety the rubbish ones seem to pass quicker and there are fewer of them

m
Old 09-03-2017, 04:07 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  

Big congratulations, Mecanix!
Old 09-03-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Today Galway won the All Ireland Hurling Final. A proud day as they haven't won since about 1988 I think. The guy on the TV was spouting on about "our culture and our heritage" and I could feel my eyes get wet. My dad was laughing and said "God you'll be standing up and crying when they get to the national anthem". The last 4 minutes of extra time was real edge-of-the-seat stuff and I am not a huge sports fan by any means. My parents went off in the car and when the captain was giving a speech at the end and thanking everyone my dad was wondering if he was going to thank the postman as well. I would say Galway City will be mental tonight so just as well I am not there.

A well let the players have their moment in the sun. I know a lot of people have a bad image of the Irish but I am a very proud Irish woman. It's been a very emotional day for the people of Galway, Haven't seen so much emotion from a county in years. I'm sure there's been many tears throughout the day.

I have three days off work and my brother is arriving tomorrow evening. At least his wife is not visiting us this time. She has to return to the US to go back to work. This means my mom has been a little more relaxed about cleaning the house. Unfortunately things get a little tense between her and my mom.

I went for a walk this evening and it was such a beautiful evening and the moon was very bright in the sky. It was an awesome moment. My moods are swinging between "I wish something exciting would happen" and "Aren't I lucky to be alive?"

Just out of boredom I went on match.com and quickly logged off again when I saw the profile of my former boss. I hate seeing people I know in person on these sites.

Actually I have been feeling a bit sad or something. I was out last weekend and I bumped into a guy I used to know and one of the first things he said was "you have put on weight". I should have slapped him there and then. I know I have gained weight and I am not happy about it but my friend says it is not that noticeable because of the way I dress. But I would like to do something about it. I have been snacking at work. Often after a morning of being screamed at on the phone, the sausage rolls and a 16 oz coffee in the canteen are mighty tempting. I would like to focus on myself and get fit.

Other times I think that I would like to be taken out - on a date or by a sniper - either one is fine with me at this point.

Here is a photo of a hurling game:

A good list of rules can be found here https://sites.google.com/site/orlandogaaflorida/rules

Funnily enough from Orlando Hurling Club
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
000dd20c-800.jpg (75.6 KB, 38 views)
Old 09-03-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I'm glad you posted that picture Tetra, I had never even heard of Hurling. Well, except that's what we call throwing up . . .so I've had some personal experience with that. Big Congrats to Galway.

It doesn't surprise me that your sister-in-law and your mother have a tense relationship. I don't suppose it surprises anyone, right?

For anyone reading this: It's never okay to mention a person's weight - regardless of what you're thinking - don't say it!! Don't mention it when someone loses weight, or any other thing related to weight. Too personal. Not even if you're friends. Or family. Nope.

I am tired and it's only 7 o'clock. Even though I'm old, I think that's too early to go to bed, right?
Old 09-03-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 86 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, feeling much better despite it being Monday.

Congratulations on 6 years Mecanix! That is fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170904_070542.jpg (32.2 KB, 41 views)
Old 09-03-2017, 11:08 PM
  # 87 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Happy labor day!
Old 09-04-2017, 03:07 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Thanks for the opener Sao and congrats on shotgun Dee!

Way to go on 6 years Mecanix!!!!

I didn't get a chance to come on and solidify my commitment last Thursday because, well, it was probably one of the most trying days since I quit. My house was broken into last Thursday. They forced their way through my front door by kicking it in. They then proceeded to go through every nook and cranny in the house taking everything they felt was of value. Most of what was lost can be replaced. However, they went upstairs and grabbed my suitcase and dumped the entire contents of my jewelry box into it. There might have been 3 or 4 pieces they may get $50 for at a pawn shop but most of it was costume jewelry that belonged to my mother.

The two things I lost that rip my heart out of my chest are my Nana necklace that was given to me by my grandkids. The other was a locket that really wasn't a wear around the neck item, it was more the size of a pocket watch. When opened one side had a lock of my father's hair and the other side had a picture of him chilling out, smiling at my mother. He was a Navy man. 70 years ago he gave that to my mother to hang on to whenever he was out to sea. She carried it with her and kept it close so she always felt he was right there with her. Gone, forever. It was one of the last sentimental items I had of my parents. It makes me sick to my stomach that the person will separate all the non valuable items and those, including this, will end up in the trash. I am sick. I feel violated. I don't want to leave this house without someone being here. They terrorized my cats who were just really getting solid in being here. Every time someone comes to the door you can see the fear in their eyes when they hear them.

The cops were called and a report was taken. My homeowners insurance has already come through with replacement on the items. There is a new deadbolt door installed and we are looking into security systems.

Still, those sentimental items will never be able to be replaced.

But, I didn't drink. Realized that if I wasn't solidly sober this would have been it for me. I remember back in my younger days how much my father hated it that I smoked cigarettes. He also smoked when he was in the Navy and he quit. I'll never forget his words as to how he did it. He said "You make up your mind that you're doing to do it, then you do it." If you think about it, as much as we want to talk about all the excuses there are in the world to continue with our addictions that line will always be true. Simple? No. However, true, and is in direct alignment with my signature line. I didn't smoke either.

Anyway, I am fine, I am here, and I am sober and smoke free. I might never see the items they took from me but they can never take the most important item, the love that remains in my heart and the memories.

I hope everyone is having a great weekend! Today I'm going to try to do something fun
Old 09-04-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Oh, I am so sorry, LadyBlue. That is heartbreaking. Any chance at finding those items at a pawn shop? Probably a log shot... Proud of you for staying strong in sobriety.

Enjoy your posts, Tetra - the comment about getting taken out was great.

I am off this holiday and will have my kids later. Holidays are hard at work due to having a skeleton staff those days. I finally got my much needed good night's sleep. I can't believe how long I slept. Later have plans for dinner at a Mexican restaurant with my parents and siblings and their families to celebrate my nephew's birthday. Glad to have plans - I've tended to isolate a lot until this last year and then has been on and off. There will be no drinking - my parents are very against alcohol and none of us drinks around them ever.

Glad you're feeling better, Sao.

biminiblue - I say go to bed as early or as late as you want. 1 of the advantages of being an adult!
Old 09-04-2017, 08:23 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

I had problems with snaking at my desk. I'd bring items in and put them in my drawer for whenever. When I decided to stop brining items it, it took a very long time to break the habit of opening my empty drawer.

I'd never heard of the sport called Hurling. (Hurling has a different meaning in my parts). I found that we have at least one team in Canada, (so we must have at least one more for them to play against). I'm surprised to see that they don't wear protective gloves. Looks like a really interesting game tho....
Old 09-04-2017, 08:36 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

LadyBlue, I've been burglarized too. Turns out the guy was caught later but the stuff and the personal peace of mind was gone. He was living in a fleabag hotel a half mile away - and had apparently done this lots of times in the area. I wish police would give a heads' up on that stuff, I would have put my valuables somewhere safe. Now I have a safety deposit box for my jewelry, but it's sad that we can't even wear it and enjoy it.

I'm sorry about your locket. I lost something similar.

The one thing positive I got out of it was that I'm not as attached to "stuff." I would have been crushed if they harmed my pets in any way, though.

Old 09-04-2017, 09:16 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
saoutchik

LadyBlue i'm so sorry that happened to you, it is infuriating. It might be an idea to contact your local newspaper and mention it, maybe take out a small ad if they don't mention it themselves, just describing the two sentimental items and why they are so. It likely won't make any difference but you never know. There are some helpful websites for this sort of thing too. I'm relievef that you are neither drinking or smoking over it that is really good on your part.
Old 09-04-2017, 10:04 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, weekenders.

I am quite late to the thread this weekend. Trying to keep myself occupied to keep depression at bay. Spent Saturday kicking arse - boxing and kickboxing).

Ladyblue - Sorry about what happened to you. It's disgusting. Glad you are sober and don't add up stress of drinking to this situation. Hugs to you.

Have a good day, everyone.
Old 09-04-2017, 02:34 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

The funniest thing I read about the hurling game today is "British People Are Enthralled and Mystified As Galway Beat Waterford" This comment genuinely made me laugh a lot:

"Looks like the most aggressive egg and spoon race ever."

"Three or four years Sky Sports have had the hurling and I still don't have a clue about the rules. Great fun though"

"Galway v Tipperary currently on Sky Sports for anyone in need of a super-competitive sport fix. Wristy Paddies with sticks"

Taken from here:

British people are enthralled and mystified as Galway beat Waterford in the All-Ireland hurling final - Irish Mirror Online

Well my brother has arrived and my dad is in Dublin for the night for meetings tomorrow but he will be back tomorrow night. Trying to keep my mom and brother from having a major fight is going to be tough. She has a way of saying things and my brother keeps rolling his eyes behind her back. I told him she called me last week to talk to me about something and he said "she doesn't talk to you. She talks at you" which is true unfortunately.

I was at the kitchen table earlier when she came home. She commented on my shirt and said how nice it was. Then she said "you have put on weight, mostly around your tummy but you still look good? Are you pregnant?" I was stunned and didn't know whether to laugh or cry. We looked at each other and she knew she overstepped the mark by a mile so she said "don't mind me. I am really so tired and I do not know what I am saying".

I left to go for a walk and thought about it. There is a slight possibility I could be pregnant, but no, just no. I am very careful and I would have some idea surely?

The fact is that until I was 35 I could eat anything I wanted and was still very skinny. Although I wasn't snacking as much I think. Then I hit 36 and the pounds are starting to creep on unfortunately. Plus I have been seriously stressed at work and am snacking constantly. I eat breakfast before I leave home. Then at 10:30 the girls are like "Tetra? You coming for coffee?" They all bring something to eat (maybe they don't have breakfast at home). I have tried sitting there and drinking coffee but it is so hard not to eat wheneveryone else is. I will have to take more exercise I guess.

Old 09-04-2017, 03:16 PM
  # 95 (permalink)  

That's horrible about the breaking, LB. I'm sorry you lost the things that were precious to you.
Old 09-04-2017, 07:13 PM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

We got broken into, many many years ago. The most annoying thing they did was swipe the TV remote, but not the TV.
Old 09-05-2017, 12:48 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Morning, that was very rude of your mum Tetra.

Originally Posted by STDragon View Post
We got broken into, many many years ago. The most annoying thing they did was swipe the TV remote, but not the TV.

Had that have happened when I was still married it would have made no difference to me as the former Mrs Saoutchik was in sole command of the TV remote.
Old 09-05-2017, 03:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Oh, no LadyBlue! That's just awful I like Sao's idea of mentioning the items in an ad somewhere....you never know.....and major kudos for staying sober! Sending kitties some extra cuddles
Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Sober-T- Dragon

Morning gang.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:30 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Nearly hometime, we have had some seriously heavy cloud cover today, at lunchtime it was almost dark outside. No rain though and it is a bit better now.

I am engaged in a war of words at work, handwritten or printed words on the fridge, microwave, sink area. It is mostly other peoples spats, I have no real gripe with anything but i thought I would stick my oar in anyway.