Notices

Day 26 and I feel like crap

Old 08-29-2017, 01:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 26 and I feel like crap

Hi everyone. I'm on day 26 and I feel physically awful with zero motivation to function like a human being. I know many experience post-acute withdrawal but it isn't a "recognized" medical condition so it's hard for non-alcoholics to understand. I feel resolved to stay sober, but I'm tired of feeling so awful.

Also, my sugar cravings are out of control and I'm afraid to gain a lot of weight.

I'm doing a combination of LifeRing, AA and Refuge Recovery so I'm covering all my bases.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Leana and welcome to SR

I know when I quit last time my sugar cravings were also out of control. I ate a tub of ice cream a night. I realised that was part of the reason I was feeling awful though as my blood sugar was constantly up and own.

I'm only on day 2 now but really conscious of eating more veg and healthy snacks. It is hard when I just want ice cream but I know once I start I won't stop. Maintaining my blood sugar helps me feel physically and mentally better.

Congrats on 26 days
Old 08-29-2017, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome and congratulations on Day 26.

I hope you feel better soon. Sugar cravings are pretty normal, but if you exercise along with that, it shouldn't be too bad. Are you doing something physical every day? That's really important. If your depression was due to alcoholism, then it should begin to ease up soon. If you were depressed prior to beginning to drink, then you might have to talk to your dr about the depression.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks ReadyAtLast and Anna. I have bipolar disorder so depression is a constant issue, but this withdrawal depression is different. It's a level of irritability, restlessness, and lack of motivation that is not normal for me. It's also a huge mental adjustment to not have a bottle of wine to look forward to at night.
Old 08-30-2017, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
AA Member

Originally Posted by leanabeana View Post

I'm doing a combination of LifeRing, AA and Refuge Recovery so I'm covering all my bases.
fantastic demonstration of willingness

the (AA) book says willingness is the key

and action is the solution

it gets better !

Old 08-30-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I will say that doing AA, Lifering and Refuge Recovery might be confusing. Is there one you can pick, and go forward with....really throw yourself into it?

Don't get down on yourself that you aren't feeling great. It takes time for the detox process to be complete. Craving sweets is totally normal also.We can't undo years of heavy drinking in a month. Stay the course, give it time.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Bunny. I get what you're saying about it being confusing, but I'm still feeling things out. However, cross-talk being OK at LifeRing and not at AA or RR does get a bit hard to keep track of!

I'm now on day 33 and have a lot of ups and downs. Feeling very tired and unmotivated today.

I
Old 09-05-2017, 09:09 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Time. It took me nearly a year to feel completely healed.

I did feel physically much better around the 90-100 day mark. Just don't pick up a drink, that resets the whole mess.

I didn't get off the sugar for about six months. That's better than booze.
Old 09-05-2017, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I crave food and sugar as well, so I am trying to balance it out with a one hour run each day to not gain weight.
Old 09-05-2017, 10:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I craved sugar a lot my first 2 months... And I did gain some weight but the cravings are subsiding and the weight is coming off. I try not to be so hard on myself for that though... a day without alcohol is a successful day, for me.

Also, I don't know your situation but I was diagnosed with bipolar last year but my symptoms would go away when I would stop drinking. My primary physician told me that alcohol can cause bipolar symptoms.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I sure hope my symptoms go away with abstinence but I'm not holding my breath. I know that alcohol makes the disease much worse. I drank almost two bottles of wine before I was 5150'd and I'm sure that was the trigger.