Notices

Milk Thistle helpful?

Old 08-28-2017, 08:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Milk Thistle helpful?

Hey gang,

Brand new to the site, and am so ecstatic this level of support exists for us. It's like I have AA with me (and so much more wherever I go), so a HUGE thank you to all members here!

I just made it my first 24 hours (Attempt 9) to quit, and miraculously made it through. My question is regarding Milk Thistle: does it really work? I heard it's good for us alchie's and the specific damage we've don to our liver, but wasn't sure. I'm already taking like a million vitamins, so I was hesitant to add that to the list, UNLESS it truly has healing properties and it will nurse my poor organ back to health. Just curious regarding your experiences with it?

Thank you!
Old 08-28-2017, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

NOT MEDICAL ADVICE!

;-)

(but I've heard/read Milk Thistle does, in fact, help prevent current damage from alcohol but does not go back in time to heal past, existing, liver damage)
Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

If people can stick to personal experience in a thread like this, that'd be great.]

Hi Hawking & welcome
whats worked for others may not work or even be suitable for you, so I always recommend running any supplements by your Dr or pharmacist first.

D
Old 08-29-2017, 03:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've been taking milk thistle for a few months now. Does it help? I have no idea. Some studies suggest it does. My doc will want liver functions shortly, but even good results wouldn't prove much (correlation does not mean causality and all that). It does seem entirely innocuous if that helps. I plan on taking it for a few months more.

Welcome to SR, Hawking! This place is a godsend for recovery!!
Old 08-29-2017, 03:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

(((personal experience))): I took milk thistle and roasted dandelion root for the first 4 months or so of my sobriety, hearing they were good liver cleansers. I also drank Braggs apple cider vinegar mixed with a little honey and lemon in lots of water for that long. My bloodwork came back fine. Whether that was attributed to the supplements or just good genetics, I have NO idea. But I guess it couldn't hurt. Good luck!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the input, friends! I appreciate the support. I guess if it's inexpensive, I'll pick some up. Couldn't hurt!

P.S. If anyone has any input on how to manage the irritability by the way, I would LOVE suggestions! Pink Cloud isn't hitting me yet, and I'm hoping it does soon.
Old 08-29-2017, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and I think the irritability goes with the territory. Actually, I was pretty darn angry, at myself and everything in my life. But, it does get better. For me, the best thing was daily long walks. It made a huge difference to my attitude.