Notices

Would you date/stay married to....

Old 08-26-2017, 06:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

....the actively drinking 'YOU'? Just a thought I had while one of my clients complained to me about his wife's drinking. He knows I'm "not drinking right now." But, nothing about my history with booze. I always 'thought' they were a great couple and now that I took off the booze goggles everything is NOT how I used to see it. Everyone have a great night! I'll be checking in throughout the night to keep myself sane from drunk people at my house. I'm just setting back,playing host and enjoying the circus!
Old 08-26-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Nope. If I kept going, my marriage would have fallen apart, and it's a newer one. First one.

Don't know how long it would've taken, but I am never going to find out
Old 08-26-2017, 08:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I'm sure my wife would have left me eventually. I don't see how she stood me for the first year after I quit either. It took at least 2 years for my moods to even back out.
Old 08-26-2017, 08:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Never. I was verbally abusive when drunk, also unpredictable, aggressive and just plain stupid. My partner of 7 years met me when I was a full blown alcoholic already; I remember I had whisky in a plastic coke bottle on our first date. He's seen the worst of me but somehow stayed with me for all these years. Sometimes I feel so guilty I wish he hasn't
Old 08-26-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Nope. I was a nasty girl in my blackouts. Finally got me dumped...huge catalyst for getting sober!
In addition, I wish I had left the drunk ex husband when I was sober. Him leaving me after all the years I stood by him was a huge proponent as to why I turned to the bottle. All complete insanity.
Very thankful to be getting on with my life finally.
Proud to say I don't miss either of them. Finally content on my own.
Jules
Old 08-26-2017, 10:50 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Would I stay with a drunk? Not a chance.
Old 08-27-2017, 12:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Nope. No one with an ounce of self respect would have anything to do with me in the last two years of my drinking. Nor would I date alcoholic women, sober or otherwise - one nutter in a relationship is enough, and there are plenty of nice normal women out in the world.
Old 08-27-2017, 01:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

No way. The drunk me is irrational, impulsive, anxious, depressed - in other words - a complete mess. My mood swings are hideous when I'm hungover/drinking. I cannot see how anyone would ever be able to keep up with that. Although I'm never nasty, angry or abusive when I drink, I'm not consistent and nobody deserves to be walking on eggshells.
I've been a single parent for a while now. I met someone not long ago and... completely ruined it. I was too anxious and impulsive again. I invested too deeply too early. My mood was all over the place. Needless to say, I never told him how much of a part alcohol plays in my life. He must have thought I'm the queen of crazyness. Anyway, what's done is done. It was a huge lesson and I'm currently working on staying sober and looking after myself.
Old 08-27-2017, 02:00 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am way less patient than my husband is, so I'm not sure if I would be able to put up with a drunkie wife for the long-term if I were in his shoes.
However, he's always been supportive of me and historically down-played the severity of my drinking problem to make me feel less "out of control".

I know his intentions were pure and good, but we've recently had a discussion where I had to explain to him that this IS a big issue for me, and I need him to support my sobriety 100% (which he does) for me to recover.
Old 08-27-2017, 05:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

....the actively drinking 'YOU'?

sure!!I could fix me when no one else could!!!
and end up in a straight jacket like no one else did because they were wise and tossed me to the curb- they put their well being first.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I spoke my mind when I got drunk. They say you speak the truth when drunk, I let things out that I would not otherwise have said sober. My TRUE feelings. I was always challenged with defending myself, as some of my so called family use to love and prod me when I was drinking. I was a happy person when drinking until they just kept edging me on and pushed me over the edge. Some very mean things were said on both sides. I felt like until your life is perfect and you have no faults, leave me alone. Now I am over 60 days sober and doing this for me...just me.
Old 08-27-2017, 07:44 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Lost a few (good) Ladies in my life due to my drinking. Do I blame them -- no, I would have also left the crazy drunk ( and other sins included) one. Was sober when I met my current wife. Everything was fine until I relapsed. After totalling our motor home and also getting into trouble with a neighbor she told me that, " she was long gone if I didn't straighten out." I understood for if I was her I would also go to better grounds.

I went back to AA and my wife got us into Christian couseling. Coming up in a couple of months on my 10 year sober date.

No one should have to put up with a drunk or addict in their life.

M-Bob
Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hell no. And I'll never go out with another one either.
Old 08-27-2017, 09:31 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I didn't even answer my own question. haha.

I would not have stayed with me either. I guess that's why looking back, I always dated people who drank...drinking'buddies"/enablers? How insane is that? I was thinking the other day that most of my relationships since my drinking escalated have been so shallow/fake. hmmm...

He took her home shortly after I made this thread and sent me a text apologizing for his wife's behavior. I told him not to worry about it and that as he knows, I've been there before. I'm sure she's going to have that sick feeling of "what did I do? what did I say?" today. Everyone else was pretty chill and I think her behavior had a lot to do with that. They didn't want to be 'that guy'.