Notices

Failed at the last hurdle

Old 08-27-2017, 04:06 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Cuckoo View Post
Respect to all, I would really appreciate your thoughts.
I dont get physical cravings. I just get this overwhelming feeling that I have to "stock up" in case I runout. Does any one else have experiences like this ?
C
Sure.
its part of what AAers call the mental obsession. For me it got to auto pilot..suddenly I had a beer in my hand.

How to you beat it - for me, lots of support - and a willingness to use it before you drink.

I stayed glued to SR for a long time - the community here talked me down a fair few nights..

I also needed a determination to change my mind.

Decisions made to drink can be unmade...if you've never done that it doesn't mean it's impossible - just means you haven't done that yet.

One day not too far into recovery I had an awful day. I floated out the door in a daze and bought a bottle.

I 'came to' on the way back and dumped that bottle,

Mind changed. No more auto pilot since then.

you can do this Cuckoo - think about what you're doing for your recovery and what you could add.

D
Old 08-27-2017, 07:50 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Hope you decide after this that life is worth living without the poison. It is willpower that will help you through. Wishing you success.
Old 08-27-2017, 11:07 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post.
I too drink out of habit and if I were to ask myself if I really wanted it, the answer would probably be no. It makes no sense!
It is tough when practically all social events revolve around alcohol (I'm from the UK too) and it is just the "done thing" to stock up.
I recently relpased as I thought I could jsut have a few glasses. . . fast forward a few hours later and I bought another two bottles of wine! Don't beat yourself up - you are not alone.