Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Sponsor does not think I should take ANY medication. Get a new sponsor?

Notices

Sponsor does not think I should take ANY medication. Get a new sponsor?

Old 08-26-2017, 10:02 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

My thought is that fundamentalism or black/white thinking isn't productive or helpful, especially in the long run. Life is complex, not simplistic. Some people (Chris Cornell comes to mind), should not have access to benzos, while others can use them without abusing them, and they are very effective in alleviating anxiety disorders, and therefore the need to drink. It's a slippery slope though. When I take xanax it reduces my resolve to not drink and puts me more at risk. The pros still outweigh the cons though, as I can sleep and no longer suffer from debilitating panic attacks. My go to mantra is, "if I buy it I'm going to drink it," and simply can't have alcohol in my home. To criticize the Lexapro makes little sense. This NOT an addicting medicine and if it improves depression and serious suicidal ideation, and your sponsor doesn't understand that, you might be best served by a sponsor more educated or knowledgeable in dual diagnosis issues.
Old 08-26-2017, 11:28 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Administrator

Gosh, I'm not an AA person, but an AA sponsor and a medical doctor are two entirely different people in your life. Your medication is between you and your doctor. This sponsor does not sound like a good fit for you if he is already making you feel uncomfortable with his demands.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

The only thing you should be doing is talking to your doctor. An AA sponsor getting into this totally inappropriate in my opinion. I wouldn't ask my sponsor for legal advice (he's not a lawyer), accounting advice (he's not a CPA), etc. Giving unsolicited advice like this is a great way to run people out of the rooms and cause them more pain and suffering.