Notices

Kindling

Old 08-25-2017, 03:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Kindling

So this week has been pretty crazy but I think the dust is starting to settle a little. Some may know I sold my house, well that means I needed to buy a house. I think I got one this morning and I'll be pleased if everything goes through. My third transaction as a brand spanking new Realtor!

Anyway, I meant to write this last week but was too busy. I personally believe kindling is very real and it is horrible. I'll preface this by saying I am in as good a shape physically than I have been since I was in my late 20's (I'm 49). I had not drank any alcohol in 22 months and had 4 stiff drinks. The next day I noticed a bit of an elevated heart rate, a strong heartbeat (not calm like normal), mild sweat after a shower and occasionally throughout the day. Blood pressure was slightly elevated. No shakiness in hands which I have had before. Only had two good meals when I normally eat four.

My point in sharing this is that once you cross the Rubicon into withdrawals and kindling, you can never go back. It doesn't matter how long, how physically fit you are, it's always in you, lurking, and will display itself if you decide you want to get drunk. Now, this is my personal opinion, I have no scientific data to back up this claim, its just my experience. I mention it because the withdrawals etc...were a major motivator in quitting because it scared the heck out of me. On a scale of 1-10 it was only a 2 or 3, but I could feel it, it was there.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

I know how you feel about kindling. My last withdrawl was horrible. I was so anxious and worried that I wasn't going to come out of it without some kind of damage.
That feeling will stay with me forever. No more drinking.
Old 08-25-2017, 04:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I stay sober because I truly hate day 1! I never want to do the very early days again. I'm over 4 months and everyday is a new record to be proud of!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:16 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Excellent post! I can relate to most of it. Bravo to you!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Although I didn't go crazy with my drinking the past few months it still had a cumulative effect like as you say once we cross that line we never go back to being able to drink any amount of alcohol .
Old 08-25-2017, 10:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have no desire to drink but if I ever wanted to that exact fear would cut that fantasy short. No way I'd want to do another Day One again!