Notices

Motivational issues in early sobriety

Old 08-25-2017, 11:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Motivational issues in early sobriety

Did anyone have motivational issues in early sobriety? (I am coming up on 2 months soon, but not quite yet)

I don't feel like doing anything at work. I just want to sit and not do anything. I have zero interest in anything. Maybe I need to go back on anti-depressants.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You could be right. I was depressed long before I began to drink, so I had to get properly treated for the depression in order to recover. If you are concerned talk to your dr. It might also help to make sure you get out and do some kind of exercise. I hope you feel better.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I agree with Anna. Definitely worth a talk with your doc. Some bloodwork could be helpful too. Never know what might be going on. I had some deficiences that I now think were related to heavy drinking. Best to see what your doc says about both the physical and emotional sides.

Beyond that, our bodies are healing, and that takes a lot of energy. Be good to yourself!
Old 08-25-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post
Did anyone have motivational issues in early sobriety? (I am coming up on 2 months soon, but not quite yet)

I don't feel like doing anything at work. I just want to sit and not do anything. I have zero interest in anything. Maybe I need to go back on anti-depressants.
^^^ I had to do a double-take because I am pretty sure I wrote that! I am just past 4 months and I feel exactly the same way. I've recently gone back on my anti-anxiety meds and it's helping. I agree with others that it's worth a trip to your doc to get checked out.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PippoRossi View Post
^^^ I had to do a double-take because I am pretty sure I wrote that! I am just past 4 months and I feel exactly the same way. I've recently gone back on my anti-anxiety meds and it's helping. I agree with others that it's worth a trip to your doc to get checked out.
Congrats on 4 months! I don't really like taking Lexapro because of the side effects, but I have zero energy and I feel like it might be seratonin related. It's just hard to tell because I have been drinking the entire time I have been medicated, so I have no idea how the medication are supposed to work. Basically, I think my brain is a mess and the wiring is probably all off... I just have to push through it i guess...
Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yes, I have the same issues. I know its not depression for me......more like an existential crisis. Whats really important, how do I want my life to be etc. I am hoping I can figure this out.
Good luck.
Old 08-25-2017, 03:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by chiquen81 View Post

first things first- good on ya for 2 months!
i cant say if it was a round 2 months, but there was period where the fog of alcohol was completely gone and id get feelings of.....hhhhmmmmm....
a lackluster life? nothing interested me.i was just going through the motions of everyday life.
just so happened that about that time,the topic of boredom in early recovery came up at a meeting.. i was quite glad it did. i heard more than one person with years of recovery say they had a period they lost interest,too.years of drinking can dull senses and stuff in the brain.
i was told that if i just kept trudging and working the steps, that would change,too.those sensors in my melon would start firing up again- getting signals to them.
just as promised in the BB:

We have shown how we got out from under. You say, "Yes, I'm willing. But am I to be consigned to a life where I shall be stupid, boring and glum, like some righteous people I see? I know I must get along without liquor, but how can I? Have you a sufficient substitute?"

Yes, there is a substitute and it is vastly more than that. It is a fellowship in Alcoholics Anonymous. There you will find release from care, boredom and worry. Your imagination will be fired. Life will mean something at last. The most satisfactory years of your existence lie ahead. Thus we find the fellowship, and so will you.

slowly but surely my thinking started changing and i started to get motivated. started to enjoy doing "stuff."