Notices

Found ya'll through google

Old 08-25-2017, 11:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Found ya'll through google

And I accidentally posted on another's thread. Sorry.

I don't know how many hours sober to count myself. But right now I think it's only hours and I'm having trouble with the cravings.

I am a night vodka drinker. I'd drink enough to fall asleep-- which admittedly wasn't very much until Tuesday before last where I started picked up one of those little bottles and started drinking again when I woke up. Now I'm a second week into not going to work and I have to stop this. Liqour store lady was seeing me every day pop in and buy my small bottle and pop out. Some days I'd even make it to about 5pm (which would have been quitting time) had I decided to go in that day.

I have now twice gotten up, gotten clothes on suitable for leaving my apartment and gotten keys and ALMOST made it out the door. Won't hurt I say to myself and will help the cravings.

please tell me it gets easier.
Old 08-25-2017, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It does get easier. Keep reading around the forum, post as much as you want and just don't go to the liquor store.

You have the desire - make the decision stick.

Welcome to the site.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad you found us.

It does get easier. Hang in there and get through the tough part. I hope that you keep reading and posting.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome.

It's going to be a rough couple of days as you go through withdrawals, and even after that you will have to deal with thoughts of drinking for a while. But everyone who had gotten and remained sober has succeeded in getting past the rough parts.

So can you.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Plan your days, have a schedule down to the hour, especially for your down times. Figure out what triggers your cravings (people, place, feelings). For me, it's being alone. I go to public places where there isn't any type of alcohol.

Focus on what you hate about drinking, when those cravings come, think about nothing else. For me, it's pushing away the women that I love. That's what alcohol has gotten me.

You've made the conscious effort to make your first post. This forum has been pivotal in my sobriety. I've spent hours here in just the week I've been a member.

A lot of good stuff.

Best of luck. You can do this.
Old 08-25-2017, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

So glad you are here. I found the forum through Google too, reading only at first, but finally diving in and becoming part of the community by posting and interacting. It has made all the difference for me. It can for you too.

You can do it. Read around and post as much as you need to. We get it! It does get easier. Maybe at first it's hour by hour, day by day, but the days come together, and your mind and body heal little by little, and then in leaps and bounds.

If we can, you can too!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:21 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Willpower and lots of support . Welcome!
Old 08-25-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great to have you with us, Burgundee. Yes, it definitely gets better as we get some sober time behind us. The first few days are rough - what you're feeling is normal. Posting and reading here helps with the anxiety. Welcome!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Completely normal. I'll add that when you start to feel better and think you can have "one" think and remember what you're going through right now. I would always 'clean up' while I felt horrible and as soon as I felt better? Off I went! So try and keep that in mind. Welcome! Lots of great folks and support around here.