Notices

I'm new here.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
So far to go.

I'm new here.

Hello, everyone.

I had trouble coming up with a good title, so I went with something simple.

I'm new to recovery, somewhat. I'm new to heavily focusing on it. To start I've been binge drinking since my late teens, although it did not become problematic until I became of legal age and I was able to purchase beer myself (I've never been much of a liquor person). I binged regularly through college and my twenties, but once I turned 29 going on 30 I told myself I didn't want to keep drinking heavily into my 30s. I turned 30 in April and still haven't quite stopped, although the volume has gone down over the years. My goal is to quit completely.

I'm fortunate that I have not done any significant damage to myself physically (though I've definitely put on some weight). I've never suffered serious withdrawals (DTs, etc). I've never gotten myself into legal trouble with my drinking. Mentally, though the drinking is only pulling me backwards while I'm trying to go forwards. I take an SRI, and they really can't work if I continue drinking. I also see a counselor, and have been diagnosed with major depression and being an episodic binge drinker. I've been so ashamed of myself not being fully honest with my continued drinking. In a way that's why I've come here: to be more honest about this serious problem. I do understand it's an anonymous setting.

On the more positive side of things I do have a job I enjoy, but I know the occasional weeknight binge really makes me an unproductive employee for the next day. A lack of focus is dangerous in my job as I'm working with sensitive information.

I am in a loving relationship. My partner does not drink anymore, so I'm getting loaded alone. He also takes medication for his mental health, but is smart enough to take the warning labels seriously. My drinking is and has been an issue at times and will most likely damage the relationship if I continue.

I have a pet rabbit. She's awesome. I'd probably be a better bunny-dad if I didn't have a beer can in my hand some nights.

I guess my point is I know I have a lot to live for, and I know these problems will only get worse if I don't stop now. I'm willing to try some alternatives to what I'm already doing (AA, rehab, etc). I took a mental health day today and contacted a local hospital's rehab center for an evaluation, but that won't happen for a week. I am feeling okay today and I am sober. Saturday's are my toughest day to get through without drinking so I'm evaluating what to do differently tomorrow (I've become pretty reclusive on weekends).

Thanks for giving this a read if you have. I appreciate it. I'll stick around and do the same for others.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, bunnydad. That was cute.

Take a peek around the forums and see all the info available.

I hope you'll stick around and find a way to put down the drink for yourself and your little family.
Old 08-25-2017, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome! You have lots of support here!
Old 08-25-2017, 07:21 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I love that you want to be a better bunny dad.

This thread has lots of ideas and plans for recovery, so if you're looking for more tools or alternatives, take a look:

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 08-25-2017, 07:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Learning to Live

Welcome to SR there's a great community here ready and willing to be a part of your sober toolkit.
Old 08-25-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

For many of us, feelings of shame and frustration lifted when we stopped drinking and started dealing with other problems in our lives. I am sure the same will be true for you when you get a programme together to tackle the alcohol issue.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome
Old 08-25-2017, 04:49 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR YearOfTheRabbit

D
Old 08-25-2017, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you for a thoughtful introduction. You seem to have a grasp of the problem and are taking positive steps -- so, welcome!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to have you with us, YearOfTheRabbit.

I think SR will be a helpful addition to what you're already doing. Talking things over here relieved my anxiety & gave me encouragement. I'm glad you've taken a hard look at what alcohol is doing to your life and well being. You're never alone.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
So far to go.

Thank you everyone for your kind replies. I really appreciate you and this website.

I'm doing well still. I mentioned Saturday's are tough since I'd usually be drinking tonight. My usual Saturday was sitting around at home in the evening and doing the same couple of things.

I'm going to make some candy today and bike over to a friends house for the evening. He's not a drinker so we don't have any past mired in getting inebriated (well, he doesn't at least). It's also another relationship I need to work on as a lot of the times we were hanging out I was drunk.

I think finding a new routine is important. One thing I've realized from past efforts is a lot of the things I was into, as tame as they may be, don't really feel right without a beer nearby. I'm okay with that though as I also have a lot of hobbies/interests I neglected with my drinking that I can rediscover.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome! The bunny part made me smile - I have a friend in early recovery (around 100 days) who is very devoted to her pet rabbits, to fundraising for animal charities that include rabbits ("not just cats and dogs!" she says) and she is working hard on her recovery.

You can do it. Hope to see you around here.
Old 08-26-2017, 07:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Good plan, YOTR. The bike ride sounds nice. Do yo have a little box to take bunny along? I used to take my little dog on bike rides in a crate behind me on a rack. Of course, I could trust him not to jump out!

Yeah as a drinker everything was tied to alcohol. I had to break those associations one by one. It's easier than you may think. Every morning I would say, "I'm going to bed sober tonight."

I can do anything for one day.

Keep us posted. I'm glad you're here.
Old 08-26-2017, 03:25 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Administrator

how's it going Yearoftherabbit?

D
Old 08-26-2017, 03:36 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

YOTR -a young adult, supportive partner, enjoys ok health, career,binging, mental health considerations....
That was me- down to the major depression (which of course- I still have and yes- booze cancels out the effect of meds). I also had an awareness I drank differently. I chose to ignore it- and later not to face my problem with honesty. I tried to cheat myself by explaining if this health professional TELLS me controlled drinking will work- that gave me permission to drink.
My story is one of those really, really horrible ones (my various self started threads explain). Please do something with your awareness. Learn from others, not from experience.