Notices

The world is very different since I last was sober.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

The world is very different since I last was sober.

Hey there soberfriends

So, I've been drinking heavily for about ten years and I did drugs before that for about five. So overall 15 years of my life has just been a blur. Even when I stopped drinking for a while before I replaced it with drugs.

In all honesty... I've not been paying much attention to the world around me and one strange thing that's hit me is I don't feel like I recognize the world I currently occupy.

Did anyone else feel that sense of detachment, that psychologically I pretty much expected things to be the same as the world in the 90/s start of the millennium and it's not that things have changed its that I think people, culture, at least where I live, has changed so significantly I can't really relate to a lot of what is happening around me.

I don't know, I have anxiety and depression and I know these sorts of feelings are actually a pretty normal symptom.

Am I just being strange here? Or is this something any other long term addicts felt?
Old 08-24-2017, 07:32 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Andagain View Post
Hey there soberfriends

So, I've been drinking heavily for about ten years and I did drugs before that for about five. So overall 15 years of my life has just been a blur. Even when I stopped drinking for a while before I replaced it with drugs.

In all honesty... I've not been paying much attention to the world around me and one strange thing that's hit me is I don't feel like I recognize the world I currently occupy.

Did anyone else feel that sense of detachment, that psychologically I pretty much expected things to be the same as the world in the 90/s start of the millennium and it's not that things have changed its that I think people, culture, at least where I live, has changed so significantly I can't really relate to a lot of what is happening around me.

I don't know, I have anxiety and depression and I know these sorts of feelings are actually a pretty normal symptom.

Am I just being strange here? Or is this something any other long term addicts felt?
Yes yes and yes. I think most of us would like to go back to a time where are addicition started. That was a time where we feel we were living a life before the hell broke loose. The good news is we can still get that old feeling back in a sense. We can make great new memories from this day forward, each and every day. AV is a monster living in our heads. We need to realize it is just that...and fight the demon. It can be done. I drank for over 30 years and quit cold turkey, solo, 61 days ago. You can do this...
Old 08-24-2017, 12:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can relate, Andagain, but for different reasons.
1) the current political climate and what I see as a rise in haters.
Of everyone who doesn't look like them.
What happened in Charlottesville should not be happening here.
My opinion, only.
2) opiates have hit this country hard!
I don't know anyone who hasn't been affected by drug use, theirs or someone else's.
I have 4 grandchildren.
I worry.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes, I have experienced this too.

I drank alcoholically for about 12 years. During that time, the world changed rapidly around me, but my ability to adapt to the changes was impaired, and I was too dazed and preoccupied to notice them in any case.

Now that I've been sober for a while and my head is a bit clearer, I'm aware of how far behind the curve I got, and I don't think I'll ever catch up.

What I perceive as fundamental sea changes in the way people interrelate and communicate (in large part due to the Internet and social networking) has left me feeling like a different species, or like I'm trying to participate in a game in which everyone but me has been issued the rule book.

Navigating a changing world sober can be a daunting challenge, but I'd much rather be painfully aware of my shortcomings than bumbling along in an ignorant daze, falling ever further out of touch.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So true! I've been blinded by booze/drugs&relationships for so long that I look around now,with sober eyes and think "where'd those 10-15years go?".. Crazy feeling! like waking up from a time capsule.