Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

People try to put us d-down (talking 'bout my generation) Bank Holiday Weekender 26-28th Aug

Notices

People try to put us d-down (talking 'bout my generation) Bank Holiday Weekender 26-28th Aug

Old 08-25-2017, 08:26 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Is that . . . beets. . .?
Old 08-25-2017, 10:06 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

I'm in....thanks. Really struggling but trying to hold on. 70 days today.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:13 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Well, I'm kicking off the weekend with my fave Friday night meeting, travelling there as a joint effort with some lovely AA pals so we can have a pre and post meeting natter as well. Plus stop at M&S Food enroute home for dessert.

Tomorrow I'm meeting my mum in the beautiful city of Cambridge for a mooch around. My new and improved relationship with my mum is one of the biggest blessings that has come from sobriety.

Hawaiian BBQ Sunday afternoon before my AA homegroup meeting.

Monday is left open to ideas so far.

Hope everyone has some ideas up their sleeves xx
Old 08-25-2017, 10:22 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

So glad to hear you're feeling better Sao!
Old 08-25-2017, 10:44 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

evening all, heading for shower and then a read in bed and an early friday night so will wake up fresh as a daisy i hope x

have great night and see u all tomo x
Old 08-25-2017, 10:58 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Well my "cookie" has gone. I used to call him "cookie" as silly nickname between us. I'm not sure if he knew what I actually meant because sometimes we would be eating breakfast together and he would wink at me and say "you want more cookie?" Or else I would get a text saying "do you want cookie tonight?"

He did say that he would be back in October but he doesn't know how long for. He also did say that I could text him anytime, but if he is with family I probably won't text that much. Well at least I can say that we parted ways on excellent terms instead of the way my relationships usually end by screaming at each other.

I haven't had the heart to post here.

Something happened at work yesterday which I was blaming myself for. After I spoke to my consultant about it he said he would look into the matter. I met him on my way out the door this evening and it turns out it was nothing whatsoever to do with me at all. I really have to stop being so hard on myself and blaming me for every single little thing.

Another consultant in the office got a gift today from a very grateful patient. It turns out it was a couple of lobsters in a cooler type box and the guy said "they were fresh off the boat this morning". The box was in our office waiting for collection and we could hear them making noises in there. The poor little guys. I wonder if they knew that life had a pot of boiling water in store for them? At least it distracted me from my thoughts for a little while and gave me a smile.
Old 08-25-2017, 12:22 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you LadyBlue! How long is it since you quit smoking now?

Tetra I would seriousky freak out if anyone sent me live lobsters, hypocritical I know but there we are. Fortunately is not very likely that anyone would send me lobsters..

Edit: some more of the Who. I always make the assumption that everyone knows who Keith Moon is but my 24 year old daughter didn't (mind you she can barely remember the Spice Girls) For those of you lucky enough to be too young too remember he was an amazing drummer with a unique style and sadly very much one of us, he passed in 1978. RIP Keith Moon.

Old 08-25-2017, 01:49 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I would have hoped that Keith Moon would have found a way to a forum like ours or some other form of recovery.

This is a little off topic, but I would love it if some big name rock stars come out firmly in favor of sobriety. I think that would be well received and not a career ender, which is what they're probably afraid of.
Old 08-25-2017, 02:01 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I had a free pass, so I went to the movies today. I was the only one in the theater. I had a big bucket of buttered popcorn and a Diet Coke, and I sat in the top row!
Old 08-25-2017, 03:46 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gilmer View Post
I had a free pass, so I went to the movies today. I was the only one in the theater. I had a big bucket of buttered popcorn and a Diet Coke, and I sat in the top row!
Nice Gilmer! A whole cinema just for you!

I'm passing through my classic Friday night serie of little fights.
My AV sceaming how fun it would be to go for just a few drinks and me not listening, playing the tape forward...

I said to myself "A little visit on SR will make that friggin' AV go very quiet I bet"
Yep! It works every time!

Have a good Friday night Weekenders!
We can make this
Old 08-25-2017, 03:57 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
saoutchik

At least you could make as much noise with the popcorn as you wanted Gilmer

Originally Posted by Outonthetiles View Post
I would have hoped that Keith Moon would have found a way to a forum like ours or some other form of recovery.

This is a little off topic, but I would love it if some big name rock stars come out firmly in favor of sobriety. I think that would be well received and not a career ender, which is what they're probably afraid of.
That is an interesting point you raise OOTT and it ties well in with the OP about trying to de-glamourise the hedonistic lifestyle in a grown up way.

There are a few out there, Roger Daltrey himself has been teetotal for decades which is quite something considering the other band members. I believe Mick Jagger doesn't drink anymore either, I expect other Weekenders could name a few.

Bedtime here.

Have a grrreat Friday!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:32 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Duff McKagan (bass player for Guns N'Roses) is another one who no longer drinks.....I have two of his books and WOW.....he's got some stories!
Old 08-25-2017, 04:40 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DarklingSong View Post
I'm in....thanks. Really struggling but trying to hold on. 70 days today.
Congrats on 70 days! I am right behind you!
Old 08-25-2017, 06:08 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Since the Music Link that my dedicated SR Pal Sao put up won't play in this Country [apparently], here's an alt one of this R&R Anthem. Written in 128 Beats/Minute March Time, it's my all-time favorite. Keith Moon's last Filmed performance in U.K.'s cavernous Shepperton Studios before a few hundred lucky Fans.

While it's a Political declaration, the Song Title can also be a vow to not get fooled again by the false promises of Alcohol or Drugs. This aging p/t Bass Player made it out alive. Life's better here...

~ 'Won't Get Fooled Again' ~ The Who ~
Old 08-25-2017, 07:17 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by saoutchik View Post
At least you could make as much noise with the popcorn as you wanted Gilmer

That is an interesting point you raise OOTT and it ties well in with the OP about trying to de-glamourise the hedonistic lifestyle in a grown up way.

There are a few out there, Roger Daltrey himself has been teetotal for decades which is quite something considering the other band members. I believe Mick Jagger doesn't drink anymore either, I expect other Weekenders could name a few.

Bedtime here.

Have a grrreat Friday!
Off the top of my head some former boozehounds who've stopped

Alice Cooper, Eric Clapton, Pete Townsend, Joe Walsh, Ringo Starr,Tom Waits, James Hetfield from Metallica

most of them are pretty open about their recovery

D
Old 08-25-2017, 10:57 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Thank you Dee! I'm sure if they can do it others can.

No running for me this morning but I did go for a walk along the canal. London is stupidly expensive now, it I hadn't have bought my place years ago I would not be able to get close on my salary. As you can see below there is another way. They are quite spacious. If you are retired or had lots of time it would be a cool way to get around. It cuts off abruptly because I did not want to post the phone number.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
rps20170826_065035.jpg (38.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 08-26-2017, 12:27 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm in for a sober weekend.
Old 08-26-2017, 12:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

morning all had a sober friday and woke up early and now watching old black and white movie x

Bring on sober saturday x
Thanks for the posts about sober musicians it was really interesting x

Have good day all and catch u all later x
Old 08-26-2017, 01:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I'll take a sober Saturday as well! Just checking in before going in to work.....see you all a little later!
Old 08-26-2017, 02:16 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Sao, June 5th was my last real cigarette. I say this because I am using an ecig, albeit the use of that is waning too. I loved smoking far too much to go cold turkey but I knew I had to find a way to quit. Although I still am getting little hits of nicotine now and then at least I've eliminated all the chemicals, carbon monoxide, ammonia, etc.

I can smell and taste things. What I truly love though is how I can breath now. That and it was getting embarrassing that sometimes when I'd be talking I'd start wheezing and have to cough to clear it. Gross. I also was starting to get old person's smokers voice. Again, gross, and that's gone. My anxiety levels have decreased greatly (which I'm sure is attributed to no highs and lows with blood pressure from smoking).

Last night my husband asked if I miss it at all. Nope, not one bit. I've even stood around people who are smoking regular cigs and it holds no attraction for me. I think about points where someone who has quit has stood near me when I still smoked and stated how good the cigarette smelled. I wondered if that would be how I'd feel. Not one bit.

Glad to have yet another monkey off my back. The difference its made is amazing.

Heading to a theme park today in New Hampshire with the grandkids and my daughter and son in law. You know what's really awesome outside of family time? Not searching the park map ahead of time to see where all the smoking areas are!

I never thought I was going to be able to do this. I often thought forward to my plans for retirement in 10 to 15 years which is traveling in an RV through the US, Canada, and Mexico. Suffice it to say there would have been an oxygen tank accompanying me on my travels (if I were even here at all).

I loved smoking, absolutely loved it. But, me quitting solidifies to me that once you make up your mind to do something and accept that there's no turning back it makes it just that much easier. You get over the tough times that much faster. No circumstance in which I can smoke means what's done is done. No choice.