SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   What's the point? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/414865-whats-point.html)

babyedwards 08-23-2017 12:23 PM

What's the point?

I've read over lots of these posts and a lot of people have all these great positive experiences and brighter days and going out and enjoying life. I'm sat here with panic attack after panic attack and I can't leave my house. When does it get better? It's been over a month. I feel like I should have some hope. But this anxiety is awful. I've tried the journaling and the meditation and the breathing exercises. I have ativan tablets but I'm scared to take them because I think I will be allergic. It's just easier to drink. When is the grass going to be greener on this side? :,(

DontRemember 08-23-2017 12:29 PM

Honestly...You're going to have to face 'living without' in the "real world" eventually. Maybe try to hit up some AA meetings for a start? I'm not an avid AA'er myself,but I go when I feel the 'want' creeping in. The gym is also a great place!

Forward12 08-23-2017 12:31 PM

Are you seeing a therapist? If not I think it would be a very good idea to start doing so. Many of us with underlying mental health issues will have them come out in full force once the blanket of alcohol comes off.

babyedwards 08-23-2017 12:41 PM

I'm going to contact the crisis line in my city. Maybe they can get me in for a visit and some coping skills. Cause this is stupid. I was enjoying my life more when I was drinking.

Anna 08-23-2017 12:46 PM

That sounds like a really good idea. Underlying issues make themselves known when we begin recovery and it sounds like you are on the right path seeking support.

Dee74 08-23-2017 04:34 PM

I'm glad you're reaching out for help babyedwards.

Getting sober didn't solve all my problems - but I couldn't solve my problems until I got sober.

You're on the right road :)

D

August252015 08-24-2017 03:52 AM

Originally Posted by Dee74 (Post 6583553)
Getting sober didn't solve all my problems - but I couldn't solve my problems until I got sober.

This! And, it takes time. 30 days is awesome! And early. Most of us if not all of us find it takes time, time, time, to live a totally new and free life- which is possible.

I'm an avid AAer- it has saved my life- so I would suggest going to meetings- just start. Then perhaps commit to 30/30 or 90/90 (meetings in days) so you a) get to know the program b) give yourself a chance to heal and start learning and c) have a regular commitment in the outside-your-home world.

You can do this- and I PROMISE you that a life without alcohol, for us alcoholics, is far better in its REAL-ness than a life drinking.

Bishy 08-24-2017 05:56 AM

It does get better over time - but if you overthink things too much you will only worsen your anxiety. Perhaps there is an underlying condition making you feel worse and now that you are not drinking it is rearing its head? Perhaps seek professional medical guidance/help. Drinking is just going to make matters even worse! You have done very well - one month clean time is excellent!

PS. The grass gets greener where you water it :-)

tomsteve 08-24-2017 06:07 AM

have you talked with the doctor that diagnosed you with anxiety, OCD and agoraphobia in the last month?

instant gratification is something rather common in alcoholics/addicts.
fortunatly, the best things in life dont happen instantly- they take T.I.M.E.

heavencanwait 08-24-2017 06:48 AM

It may be time to seek professional help if you have not already. Things can get better.

AnvilheadII 08-24-2017 06:48 AM

why don't you try to the prescribed ANTI-anxiety medication? that you have on hand.

Nonsensical 08-24-2017 07:03 AM

The point is to lead the best possible life. Alcohol might give you temporary relief, but it isn't giving you the best possible solution. And, as Dee74 points out, alcohol makes finding the best possible solution impossible.

Chilledice 08-24-2017 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by babyedwards (Post 6583244)
I'm going to contact the crisis line in my city. Maybe they can get me in for a visit and some coping skills. Cause this is stupid. I was enjoying my life more when I was drinking.

I am in the same position as you, I basically LIVE in a panic attack, it weakens a bit throughout the day but I'm ALWAYS in fear.

I'm seeing a therapist and I highly advise you to speak with the crisis people.

Hang in there ok? Your doing great!

Nowsthetime 08-24-2017 07:08 AM

Watch that AV please!

Your life will never be better while drinking. It will be the same, you will just be numb to it and it will be the same or even worse when u sober up.

Dee74 08-24-2017 03:49 PM

Hows it going babyedwards?

D

heavencanwait 08-25-2017 05:11 AM

There is always hope. You have to want it.