Notices

hi everyone

Old 08-23-2017, 09:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

hi everyone

I'm new to this website. I think it's a good idea to talk about our struggles. I've been addicted to alcohol since high school. Experimented with drugs for awhile, but alcohol has always been my problem. I drink to cope with depression, anxiety, boredom and loneliness. I'm drinking non alcoholic beer and I like it. it's a big improvement. Although, I smoke more cigarettes now. I've taken Zoloft on and off for 14 years. I have regrets. When sober I feel guilty about the mistakes I made. I can't fix the past. I've hurt peoples feelings, put my life in harms way and embarrassed myself. Your thoughts?
Old 08-23-2017, 01:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yep - I know how you feel. I look back at some of the things I've done and I feel flooded with shame. We can't change the past though and I think it's about accepting these things have happened and forgiving yourself. You wouldn't have done those things sober. I'm new to this but the advice from these folks has really helped. Stopping drinking is an opportunity to be who you really are and that will help heal your past. Putting down the drink is the best thing we can do. Good luck and best wishes 😊
Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The past is just that the past we can't change it ,but we have the ability to change the future .
Old 08-23-2017, 01:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, and it's really hard to stop drinking and to have to face all the messes we made during our drinking days. But, it's very important to begin to forgive yourself, because the regrets can lead you back to drinking again. What you can do now is to live the best life you can.
Old 08-23-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi jaybyrd2017,

Sobriety means I now live a life which is aligned with my core values and beliefs. I think the anxiety and guilt I experienced was because my thoughts and actions at that time jarred with the person I truly wanted to be.

Wishing you well on your recovery journey x
Old 08-23-2017, 02:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think as you recover you'll find that people are willing to forgive if you truly want to become a better person.

That being said, you have to be able to forgive yourself...something that's a lot harder. As people always say on here, be kind to yourself. The shame and guilt will fade with time.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:29 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Some great advice here already - welcome Jaybyrd

D
Old 08-23-2017, 09:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

thank you infinity

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will do my best and stick with the non alcoholic beer. Do you think alcohol reveals your true self? Why is our society obsessed with alcohol? Those Mormons got it right: No alcohol, drugs, tobacco or caffeine. Some people say "alcohol is the only way for adults to have fun".
Old 08-23-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

???

Is money the root of all evil or is it alcohol? Regrets I had a few....