SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Day 1! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/414834-day-1-a.html)

addictedToBeer8 08-23-2017 12:26 AM

Day 1!

Hi,

I needed to share my story with someone who will not judge me and at least try to give me some support.

I am 31 years old, Alcoholic. I am extremely addicted to Beer. I don't drink anything else. I just don't like the taste of strong drinks. However, I am drinking ~4 litres of Beer every day from 5 - 10pm.

It all began when a girlfriend of mine suggested that we should buy a beer to drink at home and watch a movie. I was like 'Drink at home...why?' Nevertheless, we did and obviously I liked it! I was 19 back then. I started with 1-2 500ml bottles a day. Gradually I wasn't getting the buzz from that, so I increased.

Even now, drinking 4 litres, I am still having hard time getting the actual buzz - I just feel dizzy and exhausted, but I cannot go without it. The days I try to not drink I constantly think about it and usually end up drinking again.:c011:

I am feeling sick every morning wishing In my mind to stop today, but after I get better I am starting to visualize a beer In my hand.

I do not have any symptoms of withdrawal when I manage to stop for a while. My best was 5 days 3-4 times this year. It feels fantastic, but when I start again for the same reason over and over again - "Well, I quit drinking, I made it. Now I can go on and just drink two beers a day". OK, first day - success - 2 beers. Next day - 4 litres.

So I have decided today to quit without the 2 beers. I know I will fail once again, but would appreciate support and some tips from the community.:You_Rock_

Dee74 08-23-2017 01:07 AM

Hi and welcome addictedToBeer8 :)

I was a beer drinker too but I'd progressed to all day everyday by the end.

This community was really helpful because everytime I thought I might have overreacted or I thought maybe I could moderate my drinking, I could go to my old posts or someone else's story and see that just wasn't the case.

The support here is pretty special too.

The only real way to start is go for day one and back up again for day two....and so on :)

D

PhoenixJ 08-23-2017 01:12 AM

Welcome...I tried will power. I failed every time- with the best and most sincere of intentions. Addictive thinking does not work that way. I NEED support- from SR, also meetings and a psychologist to break the behaviours I centred around booze. I had to unlearn- and rewire.
Support to you.

Ghostlight1 08-23-2017 01:20 AM

Hello and welcome.

Your story sounds a lot like mine.
I was a beer drinker, too. Until it got worse. I drank the same amount as you and had the same thoughts. 'Hey, it's been four days, I can handle it'.
Soon back to drinking the same amount again.
Then it started drinking in the morning. All day and night until I passed out.
By then, I was buying two shooters of whiskey on the way home from the liquor store. Just to get things started.

Then it was vodka and beer. Same. All day and all night. This went on for ten years. It's progressive and it sure was for me.
You're not alone. It took me help from AA to finally quit and it's been over six years since I've had a drink.

I wish you the best. And just remember, you never have to drink again. It is possible. At the end I was a seemingly hopeless drunk.
Now I'm sober one day at a time.

addictedToBeer8 08-23-2017 01:52 AM

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 (Post 6582551)
And just remember, you never have to drink again. It is possible

This quote really inspired me. I really do not have to drink again!

Thank you all for the kind words! I will keep you posted on my progress or my failures.:thanks

Gabe1980 08-23-2017 03:18 AM

Hi addictedToBeer8,

I'm new and on day 4 of not drinking. I feel that if you keep trying hard enough then one time it will stick. You sound like you have been trying as have I. Each time we fail we learn something that helps move us forward the next time. It's the first time I have used a forum like this and now have my own experiences to draw on but also everyone else's. That's a lot of tools in your sobriety toolbox. Good luck and keep in touch. This is the time!

Mummyto2 08-23-2017 03:30 AM

Hi, welcome, dont say you will fail again, think positively, this is a great place to get help and support, good luck

hpdw 08-23-2017 07:23 AM

Very similar to the way it used to be with me as i too loved beer . The pattern you describe is how it always was for me when I tried to cut down ,I failed every single time .
As mentioned above stay positive , read around the forum and you will see you are not alone . Support here is fantastic.

ChloeRose63 08-23-2017 07:27 AM

Welcome to SR! Glad you found us!

SaturatedSeize 08-23-2017 08:46 AM

I wanted to "drink in moderation" so many times, and I convinced myself I could "drink in moderation." I know now I can't. Seeing ANOTHER failed relationship to somebody I loved because of my drinking now has me convinced. I am ready to eradicate alcohol completely from my life. I don't want to drink in moderation because I've accepted I can't.

For most of us, that's why we are here, I'd assume.

Good luck from today.

Floater99712 08-23-2017 08:56 AM

Ii'm on day 5, still getting right in the head. Hang in there.

jaybyrd2017 08-23-2017 09:00 AM

hello brother

I love beer. I could sit at home and drink all day. I've struggled with alcohol for 10 years or more. After a week in rehab, AA meetings and family support, I'm finally taking my sobriety seriously. I've switched to non alcoholic beer, less than 0.5% per can. I like it. I don't know if it would work for you. I smoke more since I cut back on alcohol. Sobriety is difficult because there is no finish line.

addictedToBeer8 08-24-2017 11:34 PM

Going strong

Hi,

Wanted to give an update on my progress.

Still doing well. Haven't had a drink since Day 1. I'm feeling a lot better, I sleep better. Mornings are GREAT!

I've had a hard time with few of my drinking friends and my wife. They were trying to convince me that I am doing the wrong thing and that I am not an alcoholic and shouldn't give up on "life". I had some thoughts about getting a beer, but I don't want to give up once again on my goal and let people like you down.

It's Friday. I usually drink a lot on Fridays. It's gonna be tough, but I think I will make it through.

Have a great sober weekend!:You_Rock_

Dee74 08-24-2017 11:40 PM

you too :)

D

hpdw 08-25-2017 04:23 AM

Wish you all the best for a sober weekend . Just imagine how you will feel on Monday at doing a whole weekend with no beer . However only concentrate on tonight Friday and do the same on Saturday then Sunday . in AA one of their slogans is " A day at a time "
Good luck

heavencanwait 08-25-2017 05:00 AM

Glad you found SR. Lots of support here.

addictedToBeer8 08-28-2017 12:58 AM

Feeling great. Thanks for the support!

Hi,

Posting an update :wave:

My weekend went great. Not even a single thought about drinking!
It's day 6 today. Doing great and feeling fantastic. Haven't slept this good in more than 10 years.

Thanks for all you support and have a great Monday!:tyou:danse1b:

Dee74 08-28-2017 01:01 AM

that's great addictedtobeer - congrats :)

D

MidnightBlue 08-28-2017 02:29 AM

Hi, AddictedtoBeer.

Congrats on Day 6 and surviving the weekend!

Originally Posted by addictedToBeer8 (Post 6585069)
Hi,

They were trying to convince me that I am doing the wrong thing and that I am not an alcoholic and shouldn't give up on "life".
_

Oh, I just "love" this "not giving up on life" thing.

It is not giving up on life, it is starting a real life and rediscovering it.

I was addicted to wine and none of my friends thought I was alcoholic either. People still tell me things about "deserving to relax". I usually answer that I relax and have fun. I just don't drink.

SR is a great place and I can't thank this community enough. When I joined I was terrified that I wouldn't be able to cope with life without wine. Now I am heading to 5 years wine-free in October. Life still goes on and it's much better this way.

And don't tell yourself that you will fail. If you take this seriously and decide that it's worth investing effort and time, that there is no way you are doomed to fail.

Best wishes)

addictedToBeer8 08-31-2017 09:46 PM

Update

Hi,

Update:

I am doing pretty well. On my day 10 now. I even lost 3kg since day 1 - mostly water though.

Another weekend is nearby - I feel confident!

Have a great weekend!