Notices

Wow, first time here

Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wow, first time here

I just came off a week of hard binge drinking, it ended on my birthday. It's been 65 hours as of right now. I was drinking hard liquor for the first 6 days at least a fifth a day, then my wife bought me a case of beer for the last day. I had my last beer at 2am the morning of my birthday. About 6am it started to hurt. Puking, dry heaving, anxious feeling, probably walked about 7 miles. Went to my birthday party at my parents, was okay kind of felt noxious. Took at Tylenol PM to try to get some sleep at midnight. Slept for 3 hours. Started to sweat lots, had chills and then got hot the next minute. Drank a bunch of gatorade through out the morning, like 2 packages. Finally was able to eat something, a few crackers and cheese. Got the kids off the school and had to go work on my tractor, what was a normal three hour job took all day. Ate some tacos around 3 pm, couldn't finish them though. Never sweated like that before, I thought it was ridiculous. Went home took a shower ate some rice and chicken and peas. Was exhausted, kind of started hearing things and thinking I seen stuff out of my peripheral vision. Tried to go to bed but was sweating so bad I made my bedding wet. Went to watch a movie around midnight. Extremely tired, but could not sleep. Was so tired but couldn't sleep, wife gave me a melatonin around 9am, that almost knocked me out but just put me in like a coma state for a few hours. Took a few baths cause I felt clammy. Brain is foggy, it's 7 right now and I can't even do the math since I last slept but remember I only slept 3 hours total. Kinda worried right now. The shaky hands stopped. Didn't do much all day, watched a movie My name was Beth: the life and death of and alcoholic. Ate bunch of food tonight, sweating is starting to taper off but feels like I need sleep. Drank a bottle of pedialite and my mouth isn't so dry. Then I just ran across this site and been reading it ever since. I had no idea of AWS. I'm almost 66 hours into this hell, any suggestions? Mostly sleep, but i'm getting extremely sleepy as I write this.

Last edited by Floater99712; 08-22-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: ad detail
Old 08-22-2017, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Floater, I'm glad you found us. The insomnia was the worst for me. I didn't fight it though, it just made it worse. I slept when I could. It too awhile but it does get better a little each day. Many people here have had success with AA. You ever thought about rehab? I went cold turkey but really wish I would have gotten professional help. There are great people here with great advice. Hang in there pal. Sobriety is worth all the work.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I defiantly am going to go to a meeting.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:39 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good for you friend. Your not alone. I've been right where you are. I got through it and I know you can. You just have to want it more then anything. Make a solid plan and follow through with it. I planned each day out to the hour. It really helped. We are here for you
Old 08-22-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've never gone to a meeting or treatment. I never really started drinking hard until about 8 years ago I think. Lot of boredom any way started turning into a habit so we'd quit for a year sometimes less each time. Then it turned into binge drinking for a few days. Maybe 10x I think. This has been by far the worse. Didn't know about AWS. Thought that was the price for drinking hard. This one is different because I truly in my heart feel like I must quit, forever. IT ISN'T FUN ANYMORE!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

After we'd quit for a long time that's when it turned to binge drinking.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That's were it all starts, wanting to quit above all else. I knew I would die if I didn't quit. I didn't binge but drank everyday.

Making a plan for tomorrow is very important. I planned what time I would be at work, when I would eat lunch, the best route home to not pass the store, dinner, everything.

Most importantly I was here on SR reading and posting every night for weeks. The support I got here really got me thru rough times. Read everything and post even more
Old 08-23-2017, 04:55 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Finally slept for 6 hours, feel 100 times better. I hope to never go through this self induced crap again.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!

The only cure for alcohol withdrawal is time. And time moves incredibly slow while you are doing it.

The good news is that you don't ever have to go through this again. As you mentioned, this was self-induced.

Glad you are going to try AA. This website and AA helped me to get sober over 7 years ago.

Thanks for your post. Reading it brought back memories of my (many attempts at) alcohol withdrawal and sent shivers done my spine. That will definitely keep me sober today.
Old 08-23-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes i'm still sweating hard when I do physical stuff but feel way better than before. Ended up taking a melatonin and a benadryl to finally get to sleep. Still a little cloudy in the head but way better and my tongue is wet again. Thanks for the encouragement.
Old 08-23-2017, 09:45 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Zebra1275 View Post
The good news is that you don't ever have to go through this again.
Yes! That, right there! It's the absolute truth. If you stay sober today, and then do it again tomorrow...you never have to feel this bad ever again. It's surely not easy, but it's very simple: you can stop poisoning yourself!

And a whole bunch of people on this website will cheer you on, and support your decision, if you just hang out here, and let us know how you're doing.

You'll feel much better soon!
Arp
Old 08-23-2017, 12:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I usually go for a month or two then i'll get that urge, I usually am successful at keeping it at bay. When I do go for it is usually ends up being blacked out in a damn binge. I hate that, I am going to start to go to AA meetings. I need a sponsor and the support group so if I ever do get that urge, I have somewhere to go. I never want to go through this again. I tried my best to give it full detail last night as tired as I was. So I can come back and reread this to remind my dumb*ss what I went through when my memory gets a little fuzzy when it comes to drinking.
Old 08-23-2017, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to SR Floater

D
Old 08-23-2017, 05:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Glad you got through the worst of it Floater. You don't ever have to do that again. I'm sure you'd rather avoid it as well. When the urge hits, log in to SR and say so, it has helped many people. good job.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Good for you floater , we are here for you.
Old 08-23-2017, 06:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

It's great to meet you, floater. This is the best place ever for understanding & encouragement.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks you all, I will be checking in. I know i'm an alcoholic, I do plan on AA meetings. I feel pretty normal today, lots of bad dreams last night though. I hope my previous post doesn't make me sound like I don't know I have a problem. I know I've got a problem. Thanks a lot.
Old 08-24-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Good for you for getting through that!

Maybe a good time for a checkup, yes? And you might want to talk to the doc about over the counter meds...Tylenol is not a good idea for anyone with a alcohol history...too hard on the liver.

Welcome! Wishing you a wonderful sober life!
Old 08-25-2017, 05:13 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Glad you found us. Lots of support for you here.