Notices

1st AA Meeting.

Old 08-21-2017, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

1st AA Meeting.

Went to my first AA meeting tonight. It was different but definitely interesting and useful. I enjoyed some of the sharing. Some people went on and on and had to be roped in a little by the, I guess you call him the moderator? I introduced myself and did share, briefly, my story. I didnt like the idea that people seemed to not take some of the speakers seriously but I chalked that up to them knowing the speaker and maybe that was par for the course with them. Anyway I have a list of meeting places and times. Definitely going to continue to go. I see how important it is to share and be open to the help. Humility is important and it helps to realize that I am not alone.
Old 08-22-2017, 01:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad your meeting went well. I'm not sure what you mean about people's shares not being taken seriously - what were the listening people doing / not doing (just interested).

It's always tricky with those folk who get going and seem to struggle to stop, and seem to lose track of time when sharing. I used to find that really hard when I was secretary as my group has never used a timer (something that seems popular in other fellowships). Esp when they wanted to share just before the break or end of meeting and people were getting figety / eye rolley / looking pointedly at the clock. But I suspect every meeting has folk like that - and not just in AA, so it's good practice for the rest of life in many ways.

Are you going to explore some other meetings as well?

BB
Old 08-22-2017, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Glad to here you had a helpful AA experience.

Keep going back and try some different meetings as well.
Old 08-22-2017, 06:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You'll find AA meetings aren't perfect. Unfortunately not everyone who goes to AA meetings are there for the same reasons or take them as seriously as those who are really wanting recovery. I find for myself that even tho there are ppl at some meetings who really force me to practice love and tolerance that I can always get something useful out of any AA meetings, as long as I stay open minded and willing. Best wishes to you!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wishing you well on your recovery journey Usingthe12 💜
Old 08-22-2017, 02:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Usingthe12. Well done. AA meetings have a stigma attached to them. I go 3-4 a week and usually close my eyes to listen- block out the visual. Not taking people who share seriously- people laugh to cope with fear, others will play games or not turn their phones to silent, talk when others are sharing, or even laugh at the absurdity of alcoholism- or just simply because they are inappropriate. Although such people can be annoying-like one guy I know, he laughs at anything-loudly like a hyena and snorts when he stops to breathe- to laugh more- I try to understand why people do not get serious. Some will say 'I am a high functioning alcoholic'- until they were not, which means it is a silly thing to say.- perhaps. I am there primarily to show my commitment to me- to not drinking ever again. If I do I will die. Meetings are made up of people wanting to heal- not a professional meeting. Keep going, I certainly learn from others by listening. A cliche- I know (I hate cliches) but it works- look for the commonalities and people's stories, not the differences.
Support to you.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by nova84 View Post
Wishing you well on your recovery journey Usingthe12 💜
Thanks. I actually feel really good today. I'm sweating A lot more I noticed. Not sure if that has anything to do with anything.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sweating is common when alcohol is leaving our bodies- not sure when you quit.

Keep on coming back to meetings- and like others said, try different ones, know that you don't always have to talk, and perhaps commit to the often recommended 90 (meetings) in 90 (days). You can probably google AA meetings in your area and come up with different locations as well as types of meetings. There is usually a list of "codes" to tell you what kind of meeting each one is (ie, Open Discussion where anyone can attend, Mens', Womens', etc).

you'll learn the lingo, which can vary a little as far as leaders/structure. AA saved my life and is my living program of recovery.

Hope to see you around here.