Blogs

Notices

Tales of the Crypt Seeker

Old 08-19-2017, 07:35 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
nez

Hi Vulturine, when I first started going to AA, I didn't know what I was even supposed to be doing there either. I didn't even really want to stop drinking. I just wanted to stop all the crap that was happening in my life and I knew that I didn't have a clue how to go about it. I went to possibly find out how to do that because I had exhausted all my resources and was out of ideas. I was hoping to learn.

As to the crypt, if you had a car and you asked me not drive it, but I did anyway and you didn't find out about it, would that be okay? I used to use that logic with my drinking. If my wife, boss, friends, etc, etc didn't know that I was drinking what was the harm?

The church makes a simple request that is reasonable and certainly their right to make concerning their property. I don't have to agree with it. I don't have to be happy about it. I don't even have to understand it.

I just need to remember to treat them the way I hope they would treat me. To me, that means honoring their simple request of a human being, as another human being.
The Following User Says Thank You to nez For This Useful Post:
least (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Man, doesn't matter what I say on here, y'all get pissed. I'll tell you what's boring, the BDSM community. If you want to see a midlife crisis in action, hang out at your local TortureGarden and observe a bunch of middle-aged dudes in PVC jerk each other off about what kind of knots they can tie. Another boring community: the metalheads. Go to your local metal bar and see a bunch of mid-30's guys jerk each other off about satanism, white supremacy and superior musical tastes.

I've exhausted all possible avenues for interesting and legal things to do. You can't criticize me and tell me I'm morally bankrupt while offering no better alternatives.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vulturine View Post
What do you people do for fun, Scrabble? I like urban exploring and visiting supposedly haunted places. I don't really believe in ghosts, but I've experienced some pretty bizarre feelings. There was this abandoned house in Hamilton that freaked me out. Bad vibes, too quiet, hairs standing on end, a weird bell noise that seemed to be moving around. So worth the trip. I almost fell off the side of that cliff that was in Silent Hill that same day.
Lots of people like to do things like this. I used to, not so much anymore though, as I've had my fair share of scary experiences and guilt as well over disturbing spirits for lack of better words. Better to let them rest, I decided. As sometimes, I do not rest because of my experiences and have become someone who jumps at all the strange loud sounds I hear in my own very old house (built in the 1800s) late at night while I lay alone in bed. But I do understand where you're coming from.

Of course, you are writing on a recovery site and no one is going to encourage you to do something that illegal, could get you into trouble, or is what they consider morally wrong to do.

And yes, I do play Words with Friends which is a mobile version of scrabble
Old 08-19-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not our job to keep you entertained Vulterine.

I think it's right tho for people to point out this is the latest in a long line of impulse control problems and antisocial behavior.

Whatever you end up doing is your choice...and your responsibility.

Its not our fault anymore than it is the 'church's fault for making the door so mysterious and enticing'.

*drops mic*

D
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
Anna (08-20-2017), AnvilheadII (08-20-2017), Berrybean (08-20-2017), biminiblue (08-20-2017), HTown (08-20-2017), LilyMarie (08-24-2017), Meraviglioso (08-20-2017), Nowsthetime (08-20-2017), Seren (08-20-2017), tomsteve (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:15 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I've exhausted all possible avenues for interesting and legal things to do
I doubt that.

I'm sure there are lots of things to do, you just don't want to do them.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
AnvilheadII (08-20-2017), Dee74 (08-19-2017), Nowsthetime (08-20-2017), tomsteve (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:26 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Man, doesn't matter what I say on here, y'all get pissed. I'll tell you what's boring, the BDSM community. If you want to see a midlife crisis in action, hang out at your local TortureGarden and observe a bunch of middle-aged dudes in PVC jerk each other off about what kind of knots they can tie. Another boring community: the metalheads. Go to your local metal bar and see a bunch of mid-30's guys jerk each other off about satanism, white supremacy and superior musical tastes.

I've exhausted all possible avenues for interesting and legal things to do. You can't criticize me and tell me I'm morally bankrupt while offering no better alternatives.
Pretty sure nobody's pissed. I suspect I may speak for others and certainly myself that it's really concerning watching you plan another potentially self-destructive event.

You know, that trying to shock people thing doesn't really work as a life strategy, especially these days. There's nothing that someone somewhere hasn't already done and instagrammed and more than once.

I get how hard it is to just BE, especially in the early days. But that's pretty much the point...getting through days of boredom and anxiety and antsiness and learning that you can be comfortable in your own skin.

And part of that is learning to entertain yourself in ways that aren't illegal and/or destructive.

You're this close to going back to school and possibly getting back to doing what you love to do. Why put that at risk for cheap thrills?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ariesagain For This Useful Post:
AnvilheadII (08-20-2017), Berrybean (08-20-2017), biminiblue (08-20-2017), least (08-19-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 08:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Dudes, if you think I'm here trying to shock you, I'm sorry you feel that way.

I'm actually pretty worried about going to this college I signed up for. I'm not allowed to talk about my anger management stuff on here because I think a mod said it was hate speech or something. Anyway, I'm pretty close to a ban for hate speech because this chick at addictions counseling pissed me off and I'm pretty concerned about encountering other situations like that.
Old 08-19-2017, 08:57 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm not allowed to talk about my anger management stuff on here because I think a mod said it was hate speech or something.
Seeing as you've bought this up a few times...

My recollection is you're allowed to talk about anything you want, unless your way of discussing it breaks a rule, like it did last time.

Hate speech would obviously not be appropriate here under any circumstances, for any member, or mod come to that.

D
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
least (08-19-2017), Nowsthetime (08-20-2017), tomsteve (08-20-2017)
Old 08-19-2017, 09:11 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
this is the latest in a long line of impulse control problems and antisocial behavior.
Yeah, it says that in the psych report my lawyer threw out. I found a PhD neuroscience lady on reddit with BPD who seems to think behavioural modification is a thing. I'm actually familiar with her lab from my undergrad animal behaviour class. It probably is if you're sad or whatever, but I highly doubt you can grow a filter in a person with no filter. If there was evidence that DBT worked for the prison-stream personality disorders, then I might be more into it, but I think therapy is a waste of time for not particularly sad people such as myself.
Old 08-19-2017, 11:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It probably is if you're sad or whatever, but I highly doubt you can grow a filter in a person with no filter
Why not try it and see? The ambivalence and shock/attention seeking is definitely not helping, so why not give something that might actually work a chance?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ScottFromWI For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (08-19-2017), tomsteve (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

The hell? I just asked some random people on this game I play if they do urban exploring and apparently it is a common thing. I've done it with 3 of my current friends and my husband. I don't know why people on here are claiming I'm immature and morally bankrupt. You guys just don't know it happens because it's literally just snooping around and then leaving. The only thing I did that was bad while exploring was picking a series of locks to enter an area with asbestos. We had respirators, so it was fine.

I feel pretty sorry for people who have no sense of curiosity or adventure. You are truly dead inside. Have fun golfing or whatever it is old people do. Knitting tiny cat sweaters or something, I imagine. Or like, pruning an evergreen into a swan shape. Or like, entering pie contests. Building bird houses. This is why I want to die young.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:02 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. - Steve Vai

There are many churches that allow visitors to their crypts. I'd check at the church office during regular hours. You might get some interesting history and a tour!
The Following User Says Thank You to LesPaul1993 For This Useful Post:
Meraviglioso (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:11 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

And I don't have instagram or facebook, so I dunno what you guys are claiming I'm doing for attention when I only talk to two real people on a regular basis.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:31 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

There are tons of interesting things to do that are not illegal or morally wrong. Some people knit cat sweaters and find that great fun. I love gardening (and have been made fun of "oh you want to be that little old English lady with a garden hat, pruning her roses" well, yeah... I think that is fun.)

A lot of interesting things you can do involve getting your act together, getting sober and acting like an adult.

For example, you could quit drinking, save up some money and come visit Rome, Italy. The vatican crypts are open to the public and are fascinating. Some find them holy and reverent, others find them creepy and spooky.

You can also travel to Africa. I think I told you this story once, when you spoke of your love of bats. I know a couple that travelled to the middle of nowhere (I forget the country but could find out if you like) Africa for the sole purpose of seeing the world's rarest bat. They got on some shoddy bus and travelled through the dessert for 2 hours until they came to a hole in the ground which led to a cave. There they descended for hours with headlamps and finally came upon this underground cave where the world's rarest bat lives.

How did they manage that? By living a clean, healthy life, saving up money and making plans for do-able and legal activities that interest them.

As someone else mentioned, you can contact local churches about tours and such. You can visit cemeteries if that interests you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Meraviglioso For This Useful Post:
jaynie04 (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 12:32 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LesPaul1993 View Post
There are many churches that allow visitors to their crypts. I'd check at the church office during regular hours. You might get some interesting history and a tour!
Yeah, the church was rebuilt after a fire in 1872 and the crypt was excavated in 1928. It might just be a basement now. The original property owners are buried in the cemetery out back. I don't know how to get back there though.

I'm more interested in this church now than the actual meetings. I can't just phone up the priest and ask to see his crypt. It's going to take 2 minutes. I'm just going down to peek, then I'll be content enough to go to AA. I saw a hobo coming out of the church closet doing who knows what, so I doubt it would be a big deal if I just go down there for a couple of minutes to satisfy my interest. If it's just a basement, okay, if there are mummies dressed as the cast of the Wizard of Oz, a little more interesting.
Old 08-20-2017, 12:35 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Well it looks like you have decided. I agree, in the end it probably will end up being "no big deal" but as Dee said, no one can teach you respect.
You have to decide for yourself if you want to live an honourable life or not.
I am willing to bet that if you called up the priest he would be more than happy to give you a personal tour. In that way you get to satisfy your curiosity while maintaining respect. Is that really not an option?
Old 08-20-2017, 01:08 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Meraviglioso View Post
There are tons of interesting things to do that are not illegal or morally wrong. Some people knit cat sweaters and find that great fun. I love gardening (and have been made fun of "oh you want to be that little old English lady with a garden hat, pruning her roses" well, yeah... I think that is fun.)

A lot of interesting things you can do involve getting your act together, getting sober and acting like an adult.

For example, you could quit drinking, save up some money and come visit Rome, Italy. The vatican crypts are open to the public and are fascinating. Some find them holy and reverent, others find them creepy and spooky.

You can also travel to Africa. I think I told you this story once, when you spoke of your love of bats. I know a couple that travelled to the middle of nowhere (I forget the country but could find out if you like) Africa for the sole purpose of seeing the world's rarest bat. They got on some shoddy bus and travelled through the dessert for 2 hours until they came to a hole in the ground which led to a cave. There they descended for hours with headlamps and finally came upon this underground cave where the world's rarest bat lives.

How did they manage that? By living a clean, healthy life, saving up money and making plans for do-able and legal activities that interest them.

As someone else mentioned, you can contact local churches about tours and such. You can visit cemeteries if that interests you.
I don't believe that I've ever spoken about a great love of bats. I'm more into vultures when it comes to animals. I wear a silver vulture skull on my necklace. They carry the souls of the dead to the heavens. Anyway, that's what my username means, I just like vultures a lot, especially the Ethiopian vulture. Their diet is like 90% shards of bone and I think that's amazing. Common name is ossifrage, which means "bone-breaker". They are large, beautiful birds of death and I love that. If I ever kill myself, I want to do it somewhere where my corpse can be picked clean by vultures and my bones scattered by wild animals.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:20 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

My apologies, I must have been mistaken.
In any case, my point was there are plenty of legal and interesting things you can do in your free time. I hope you find something that suits your needs.
Old 08-20-2017, 05:21 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Cliff diving?
Sky diving?
Motocross?
Bungee Jumping?
Free running (Parkour)?
Tightrope walking or aerial acrobatics classes?
Running with the Bulls in Spain?
A tour of the world's steepest roller coasters?
Marathon across the Sahara Desert?
Kayak over a waterfall (forget where they do that)?
Whitewater rafting in general?
Train to use one of those 'flight suits'?
Rock climbing?
Train for wing walking?
Switch your educational path to become an Egyptologist and explore all the ancient tombs and catacombs your heart could possibly desire?
Snowboard down a volcano?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Seren For This Useful Post:
biminiblue (08-20-2017), Dee74 (08-20-2017), jaynie04 (08-20-2017), tomsteve (08-20-2017)
Old 08-20-2017, 06:46 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

urban exploring is great.
HOWEVER
going into a churh and into a room that CLEARLY say
" Do not to enter"

is NOT urban exploring.

i havent noticed an answer of whether you would like people to snoop or, as you call it now, "explore" your house without your knowledge? when you arent there?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomsteve For This Useful Post:
Berrybean (08-20-2017), jaynie04 (08-20-2017)