SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Lost my sweet dog :( (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/414663-lost-my-sweet-dog.html)

jessie65 08-19-2017 02:42 PM

Lost my sweet dog :(

The pain is unbearable. I can't talk about her or even think about her, without getting choked up. I look like I've cried a river. I've had a constant headache for 5 days and I am surrounded by people drinking and being merry right now and I just want to scream.

I'm going through every stage of grief, right now the what ifs, trying to figure out if I could have done something differently. We put her down, vet said it was time. God I want her back.

Berrybean 08-19-2017 02:50 PM

Oh Jessie. That's hard. I'm so sorry for your loss. They are such babies to us, and real friends.

Try to remember that it is completely natural that you would mourn your beautiful dog's passing. Could you remove yourself from the festivities and go and rest and be alone with your thoughts and memories? Somewhere that you can get a hug rather than be surrounded by people who are drunk and partying and emotionally unavailable?

Hugs to you. BB

MindfulMan 08-19-2017 02:57 PM

I'm so sorry you lost your furry friend. I went through it with my first dog and had to grieve for a year before I got Otto.

I still miss Blitz seven years later.

Try to get away from the partying drinkers, it would also be a good time to go to a meeting.

doggonecarl 08-19-2017 02:59 PM

Sorry for your loss. I know well your pain, as I've lost a number of beloved fur babies and am watching my old girl nearing her end as her health is failing. It's tough, never gets easy. But I'd endure twice as much pain at their going rather than be denied the love and companionship my dogs gave me.

jessie65 08-19-2017 03:55 PM

Thanks guys, I did get away for a bit.
I put flowers on her grave and I talk to her every day. I hope this gets easier, but I don't ever remember it being so hard, and I've lost a few over the years.

My thoughts aren't rational at times, I know. I spent 2 days completely distraught at the thought of her heart restarting in that sealed box we put her in, and her thinking I did that to her. My husband finally told me that rigamortis (sp?) had set in before we buried her. That helped put that thought to rest, but is it possible an animal could come back after being buried??

Then I found her favorite blanket in the laundry room last night, and realized I didn't bury her with it. :( She had thrown up on it and it was getting washed. :(
I keep going over in my head everything that happened that day.

ChloeRose63 08-19-2017 03:59 PM

I have lost many pets that I loved so very much. I hurt so bad for weeks. It felt like someone had 'kicked me in the stomach'.
The more you loved...the more it hurts. So, be assured that you have given all your love to your pet.

Purplrks3647 08-19-2017 04:06 PM

(((Jessie))) So sorry to hear about your pup.....she was given a wonderful life thanks to you :hug:

Chilledice 08-19-2017 04:11 PM

Awwww I'm so sorry!! I know that pain and it downright HURTS!

SUPER proud of you for staying sober and I'm sending you a MASSIVE virtual hug!

kenton 08-19-2017 04:14 PM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know the pain you're going through and wish I could do or say something to make it better. Losing a beloved pet is agony but as someone else said, the joy and love they give us far outweighs the pain of their passing. My thoughts are with you.

bandicoot2 08-19-2017 04:21 PM

(((jessie))). so very sorry for your loss. Our pets are family members and it hurts so so so much when we say good-bye, even when it's 'time'.
Chloe is right, the depth of your grief is a measure of your love. You loved well.
Please be kind to yourself and know you did everything you could for your baby.

Delizadee 08-19-2017 04:22 PM

Jessie, I am so sorry :( :hug:
I too understand the pain of losing a furbaby, so early in recovery for me, it was terribly hard and I was also alone, so I am sending you heart hugs.
They are family and children to us. I hope the pain eases soon, and you can focus on all the happy memories with her.
I know it got better with time for me. I just recalled happier memories that made me smile when I thought of his passing.
It's hard. We're all here for you. :grouphug:

least 08-19-2017 04:32 PM

:hug: I'm so sorry for the loss of your beloved dog. :( I've gone thru it so many times, but would always go thru the grief in order to have had their love and company. :hug:

ghostgirl 08-19-2017 04:45 PM

aw hon i'm so sorry. i've been there. i wondered if there was more that i could do to save our little Jackie. we had him for 13 1/2 years. we lost him two weeks before christmas 2015. i still get choked up over it sometimes. we love our fur babies, and losing them is the toughest part to having them. but, the love they give us is worth every bit of the pain of their passing. wishing you peace...

gg

Hevyn 08-19-2017 05:06 PM

Sending love to you, Jessie. Most of us have been there, and will be again. I guess the grief is the price we pay for love. We'll do it again & again.

It will get easier - your feelings are raw right now. Try to think that she would never have wanted to bring you pain. I feel that you will see her again - I think mine are all waiting for me, too. :hug:

Anna 08-19-2017 05:48 PM

Jessie, I am so very sorry for the loss of your beloved dog.

Dee74 08-19-2017 05:58 PM

(((Jessie)))

I think one of the bravest, yet saddest, things a pet owner can do is end their suffering.

You did the right thing - let the memories of your long life together comfort you.

:hug:

D

PhoenixJ 08-19-2017 06:13 PM

PRAYERS. Do not drink, let the emotions flow.

Opivotal 08-19-2017 06:48 PM

((Jessie)) I'm so sorry you lost your sweet dog. We have many animal lovers here that can relate to your post. I'm one of them... the pain does feel unbearable right now. Try and focus on the love and positive memories. Those will remain with you forever. Your gift to hold in your heart and get you through the tough times.

Please know you did the right thing. Sending you my deepest sympathies and healing prayers. :hug:

emme99 08-20-2017 08:52 AM

So sorry for the loss of your dog jessie. Keeping you in my thoughts & prayers.

Endoftheday 08-20-2017 10:51 AM

So sorry

jessie65 08-20-2017 11:56 AM

Thank-you all for the comforting words, I really do appreciate it.
I'm having a really hard time, can't seem to work through it, can't stop just randomly crumpling into a sobbing mess.

She had a massive seizure that morning, and we rushed her to the vet but they weren't able to stop it. Her seizures were getting more frequent and more severe, and each one would leave her a little weaker. This one was the worst yet and still didn't stop, 45 minutes later. :( Her others lasted a couple minutes and this one was violent.
I held her and comforted her but I don't think she was aware of much.

I keep reliving those moments, I never fed her that morning, she went into the seizure just minutes after I got up. Did she die hungry, or thirsty? I miss her awful.
Thanks again for the kind words, I know there are a lot of animal lovers on this board, so you all know the pain. :(

tealily 08-20-2017 11:59 AM

Oh Jessie, I just now was reading this. I am so very, very sorry. I know how much pain you are going through.

You clearly loved her very much, and I am absolutely sure she knew that. What a blessing she was to you, and you to her! Your connection and that love won't ever go away. Please don't be so hard on yourself. You are a loving, caring owner. Life is a fragile gift, and you aren't to blame.

Many hugs to you! We are here for you!!

Pondlady 08-20-2017 01:54 PM

I'm so sorry about the loss of your beloved dog. It sounds like you did the most loving thing for her, as hard as it was on you. I like to set up a small shrine, of sorts, with pictures, mementos, collar some flowers and a candle....brings me some peace.

least 08-20-2017 01:59 PM

“We who choose to surround ourselves
with lives even more temporary than our
own, live within a fragile circle;
easily and often breached.
Unable to accept its awful gaps,
we would still live no other way.
We cherish memory as the only
certain immortality, never fully
understanding the necessary plan.”

― Irving Townsend
This says just how I feel. :hug:

Outonthetiles 08-20-2017 04:01 PM

I am very sorry.

MythOfSisyphus 08-22-2017 01:50 AM

I'm so sorry about your sweet pooch, Jessie!:grouphug:

myluckyday 08-22-2017 05:30 AM

I'm so sorry. I know the pain all too well. We had to put our fur baby down this past June 24th. It was unexpected so we had no time to mentally prepare. I was just two months sober and I wanted to drink so badly. It was so awful. Just last night I was crying again. All the questions, what did we miss, did we do the right thing? All swirling around in my head for the millionth time. All I know is that I will not drink. I will not use this as an excuse to get drunk. My furbaby loved me and wouldn't want me sick. I know he is still around us, watching over us and we will meet again. The same for you and your pup. It gets a little easier with time, but they definitely take a piece of our heart with them when the go.