Notices

Taper

Old 08-21-2017, 07:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Taper

hi, I drink only beer and about 12 a day. I am afraid of withdraw and want to slowly cut back. Can this work? I have been self medicating for about 1.5 years. Thank You
Old 08-21-2017, 08:01 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

So what are you going to do? How much tapering are you going to cut back to? 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7....a six pack?
Why don't you try to not drink for one day.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

i guess i am afraid of withdrawal so i think 12,10,8,6,4,2,1,0
Old 08-21-2017, 08:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you are afraid of withdrawal then why not go to a doctor?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:09 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

i don't want that on my record.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cmbbbb17 View Post
i don't want that on my record.
Cold turkey is dangerous but so can tapering, there is no guarantee that you won't get withdrawals.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:15 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm no expert on tapering, I tried it and failed. Maybe you can go from 12 to 8 for two days then 8 to 6 for two days then 6 to 3 for two days then 3 to 1 and then come off?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank You i will try and see if it works. when i don't drink for 12 hours i start to shake some sweat i just don't feel well. i don't throw up just indigestion. i want to get through his and live again
Old 08-21-2017, 08:30 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Welcome to SR Cmbbbb17. Tapering is a oft discussed topic here, and sometimes it is even a prescribed form of treatment in some parts of the world.

For the most part it is ineffective though as it represents a form of "control" of your drinking. And the main reason most of us are here is that we can't control our drinking.

Additionally, even with a taper you eventually have to step down from some quantity to zero - and withdrawal symptoms are still possible then.

I understand the whole "not wanting this on your record" thinking, but remember that doctor/patient discussion are private. And also consider whether you value your health over your medical record. If you keep drinking some pretty bad things are most likely going to happen too, right?
Old 08-21-2017, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did a very short taper - not anything like trying to count down like you are suggesting, cmbbbb17. That wouldn't work for me because I stopped counting after four and would just keep going. Tried that moderation experiment many times and it was an epic fail.

I was drinking 12 or so units a day. I cut down to two (for a couple days, and I spread those out over many hours.) Then I cut down to one for two days, and only had it when the symptoms got too miserable. No more than two or it would trigger my moremoremore switch and I'd be off to the races.

I can't moderate with certainty. Two was my cut off number. Above that and all bets were off.

So my "taper" lasted three or four days, down from 12 to two, and from two to one.

I didn't know about the dangers of withdrawal so I guess I might have just been lucky - no way to know. I was certainly uncomfortable for many days afterwards.

Good luck. Just quit. Whatever it takes.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR cmb.

Withdrawal can be unpredictable and potentially dangerous, so the best approach would be to ask your doctor if you are worried (as was already suggested).

Judging by past replies to similar enquiries, I think most people here will tell you that tapering did not work for them. But it did work for me and got me through day 1 and onto longish stretches of sobriety before.

I made the tapering as short as possible, say no longer than 3 or 4 days. Also, if my tapering schedule said I could have, say 3 beers on a specific day but I was comfortable after having had just 1 or 2, I would have no more on that day, and less the next day.

Tapering does not mean it will be easy (i.e. you'll have no withdrawal symptoms or cravings) and does take a lot of discipline.

In the end you might find that it does not work for you and then it would be best to definitely speak to your doc and to go cold turkey if he thinks that would be the best for you.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:53 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Friendly Folk

If you can't stand the early stages of withdrawl which begins 8-12 hours after your last drink you might want to consider going to see a dr or going to an ER. They can give you fluids and meds for the worst that is yet to come. Eventually, your body will need to detox from all the alcohol. It is not pleasant and you should not be alone.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:32 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's that i cant stand them,again no headache, no throwing just anxiety and then that ramps up the fear. I just get fear of many things in life. That is what let to the self medication. I have been to the Dr and overall health is good had everything tested.

Thank you and I will go to the Dr. And talk to him I really just want to regain feeling well.
Old 08-21-2017, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

It's that i cant stand them,again no headache, no throwing just anxiety and then that ramps up the fear. I just get fear of many things in life.
Anxiety is very, very common during withdrawals -most go through it. If you think about it for a minute, alcohol is a depressant. So if you drink all the time your mind and body become used to being sedated all the time - literally. So when you take that sedation away, your mind and body sometimes kicks into overdrive with nothing there to curb it.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Tapering doesn't work. It's guaranteed failure in the long term, just like moderation.
Old 08-21-2017, 11:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, whats the problem with it on your medical records, their confidential ? good luck
Old 08-21-2017, 12:14 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Tapering is almost impossible for alcoholics. Think about it, if you could consistently cut back on your drinking, you probably wouldn't be an alcoholic . As others have said, anxiety is common and talking to your dr is always a good thing to do.
Old 08-21-2017, 03:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome

well, I would much rather have a Dr visit on my record than to have the bad detox I had cbbb.

Still, choice is yours.
Let us know how you are getting on.

D
Old 08-22-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

hi, I drink only beer and about 12 a day. I am afraid of withdraw and want to slowly cut back. Can this work? I have been self medicating for about 1.5 years. Thank You
My vote on this is always a big NO. The alcoholic mind can play so many games that a future date or number is easily manipulated....and you're right back to 12 (or more) a day before you know it.

Quitting full stop was my path and that's how I always recommend. See a dr/use detox meds if needed.

Bottom line- do you want to be completely sober?
Old 08-22-2017, 04:51 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Tapering doesn't work for me never has. It might work for a couple of days after that back to the drinking . If there's a will there's a way and at least you're at the right place for advice.